Beetlejuice Revue to Get Updated | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Beetlejuice Revue to Get Updated

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The new Cleo definitely improved the show. I definitely saw some tightening up of the performances since the first day. My family enjoyed it so it works. :lol:

I still stand by the fact that it needs more BJ. *giggity*

Got to see the new show this weekend. I thought it was a good update. Kids loved the new songs as well, even though my oldest loved Frankies Girl, so she missed that song. I think the couple of times we saw it we had the Cleo some have complained about (based on pictures). She wasnt the strongest female singer, but I thought she did a good job overall.

After seeing her a second time, realized the new Cleo is my friend Tymisha (I'm used to seeing her bald). She's amazing, used to be with the Broadway tour of Rock of Ages!

13293924875_79fd9e6c8d_b.jpg

Really like that BJ has been coming out as a M&G for the past few weeks. Hollywood has him, classic monsters, and various atmosphere characters walking around the park and it adds a lot to the park.

I was not a fan of the old show but I like the new one. I love watching what Beetlejuice is up to while everyone else is performing. His antics are nonstop.

I was given the liberty of seeing the new show yesterday. I was not impressed.

What the :censored: were they thinking?!

First of all, for the small set that they have, the cast is too big. It turns an already weak choreography into a very messy choreography. There are moments where there is just too much going on that has little to do with each other. I understand the theatrical device of "background action" but this just doesn't fall under that category. The only performers who seem to have any skill on their feet are the actual dancers. The vocals are hit and miss. The Bride and Phantasia had power house vocals, but Drac and Frankie fell short. I was fortunate enough to see the black Cleo perform, and she did a great job with what she was given. As far as the overall music lineup... Not impressed. The lineup is not very strong, nor do many of the mashups make much sense. (Sweet Dreams and Smooth Criminal? Really?) The finale did not feel like a finale. What doesn't help is that there is no breathing room between selections. The audience I was in had no idea when it was appropriate to clap. I'll also note that the costumes and makeup didn't impress me; particularly for the ghosts. When I can see where the makeup artist couldn't blend contours properly *from the very last row* that's a bad makeup job. The wigs on the ghosts are awful. I wish I knew who thought that up so I could slap them.

But the thing that bothers me most is that the small semblance of story that we had in the last show was completely stripped in this version. The monsters have almost no personality whatsoever. At least in the last show we could see that Frank and his Bride had an awkward relationship, or that Dracula was a hopeless romantic and womanizer. In this show... nothing. And for that matter... What happened to Beetlejuice? Considering that this is Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue, there is very little presence anymore. To me they should just remove him and rename the show "Universal's Classic Monsters Mashup" if they don't want to use him. Having BJ come out to the crowd before the start of the show was a fun way to include the audience. Now that that's gone, the show feels that much colder to me. Overall, I think they failed at this rewrite.

So sorry for writing a novel... I just can't believe how much they screwed up on this one.

So sorry for writing a novel... I just can't believe how much they screwed up on this one.

Agree with all you wrote. I'd add that the random song selections take away from what small semblance of plot/character development was in the previous show. "Jesse's Girl" or "Heartbreaker" made more sense in context than "Feed My Frankenstein," which feels included solely because it has the word "Frankenstein" in it.

Btw, I know when to clap.

Well that was a tad snide, wasn't it? I only included that observation as a comment on the lack of proper pacing. There are far and few appropriate pauses in the show that allow applause. More than once the song selection would just continue.

Agree with all you wrote. I'd add that the random song selections take away from what small semblance of plot/character development was in the previous show. "Jesse's Girl" or "Heartbreaker" made more sense in context than "Feed My Frankenstein," which feels included solely because it has the word "Frankenstein" in it.

Exactly! Also, the gag choices like "What Does the Fox Say?" are completely unnecessary. That particular song has lost its comical value. (And was overdone in Bill and Ted for those of us who attended the show weekly during HHN like myself.) I also noticed that there was a larger number of people leaving during the performance than I had ever seen during the previous version of the show. I had gotten used to people leaving after the entrance of Hip and Hop (particularly Muslim guests), and also families with small children. But even then at least 75% of the original audience stayed through the show. This time, at least 50% was gone before the final number. That's sad.

Well that was a tad snide, wasn't it? I only included that observation as a comment on the lack of proper pacing. There are far and few appropriate pauses in the show that allow applause. More than once the song selection would just continue.

Sorry, it was a quick reply from my phone, not meant to come off as snide. The pacing of the show is pretty quick, but I think there's a good amount of pauses at certain times that allow for some general applause. As for the second part of your last post, I've seen this show a lot since it's debuted. The "What Does The Fox Say/Royals" joke segment actually gets a very good reaction from the audience normally. You can also tell that it was made to be easily changed out with other funnier and more comedic songs in the future (at least i'm hoping). A lot less people leave during this version of the show, than it's predecessor.

We saw the show during our vacation last week. We absolutely loved the new show, and thought it was better than the former version. Really fast paced. Singers were quite good, especially the African American Cleo. Dancers were very entertaining. Beetle Juice was in a decent amount of the show.

I'm hearing rumors of this show being closed within the year. Apparently a meeting happened. Is there any truth to this?