Captain America 2 | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Captain America 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Winter Soldier?

This is going to be the best.

Oh yes, it is. For those who don't know about the meaning behind Winter Soldier:

Winter Soldier is the name that Captain America’s sidekick Bucky Barnes adapted after returning from the dead.

It's also definitely going to be after the Avengers, with a heavier focus on what happened in the Avengers than the other Marvel sequels.

Anthony Mackie (The Hurt Locker, Gangster Squad) is in talks to play Falcon in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. The character is essentially a sidekick.

From Collider

A couple days ago at Comic-Con, Marvel revealed that Joe and Anthony Russo‘s sequel to Captain America would be entitled Captain America: The Winter Soldier. While Chris Evans is the only cast member officially slated to return, presumably Sebastian Stan would be back since Bucky Barnes becomes the eponymous brainwashed Russian assassin, Winter Soldier. While we wait to see if Stan is back on board, THR is reporting that Anthony Mackie may join the cast to play Falcon, “one of mainstream comics’ first black superheroes and perhaps its first American one.”

Per THR, here are some more details about Falcon:

“The character, Sam Wilson, was Harlem-based and had many street adventures with Cap in the 1970s comics when he served as his partner. He derives his powers from a suit which allows him to fly and enhances his strength. He can also telepathically talk to birds. In current comics, Falcon is a key player in many of Cap’s espionage adventures.”

i8hRprj8EXL53.jpg

The Falcon has been a part of Caps history for years, not a real problem with me.
Also with the new (movie-verse like) Avengers toon having the Falcon the writing was kinda on the wall.

CBM has posted an interview Chris Evans did at TIFF. Here is where he discusses reprising the role.

On beginning prep for Captain America: The Winter Soldier-

CE: I'm dreading it (the physical transformation), this is what I keep thinking. We start Cap 2 in March so come January I have to get back into that routine. All I'm thinking about is the future movies, like 'god, how am I going to keep getting big', it's such a chore. I hate to admit it but it's not easy (laughs). It's months and months of lifting heavy stuff and...not looking forward to it. But, it's worth it because I am happy with the movies and I do love the character so come January, my life is going to be different. It's such a commitment, top-to-bottom, its not just lifting, sleep is important, your diet is important. It's a complete commitment but what am I saying, it's good problems to have. "Ugh, it's just so difficult, I'd much rather be in the coal mines" (laughs) .

Last edited:
From Deadline

‘Revenge’s Emily VanCamp Landing Lead In ‘Captain America 2′

ibt2gGouEX2epy.png

EXCLUSIVE: I’m told that Marvel Studios has found its female lead for the sequel Captain America: The Winter Soldier. They are in talks with Emily VanCamp, who makes the leap to the big screen after starring in such series as ABC’s Revenge, the WB’s Everwood and Brothers And Sisters. She joins Chris Evans in a sequel that doesn’t have a firm start date, but will be released April 4, 2014. The film is directed by Joe and Anthony Russo. If you recall, the first film started period and morphed into the present. I’ve heard talk that Scarlett Johansson will bring her Black Widow character to the mix. She is repped by UTA and Thruline.

From Variety

Frank Grillo to play Crossbones in 'Captain America' sequel
Key villain role in Marvel/Disney pic goes to 'End of Watch' actor

iektDruaRkV8i.jpg

Frank Grillo has landed the role of the villainous Crossbones in Marvel and Disney's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier."
A key villain in Captain America's rogues gallery, character debuted in 1989 as Brock Rumlow, a leader of the Savage Crims gang in New York's lower East Side before joining a school for criminals and later becoming a henchman of the Red Skull under the code name Crossbones.

Grillo tweeted last week that he had tested for a role in the "Captain America" sequel, and hinted of the character with the hashtag "bones." Thesp most recently appeared in "End of Watch," "The Grey" and "Warrior," and will next have supporting roles in "Gangster Squad" and "Zero Dark Thirty."

Chris Evans returns as the star-spangled hero in "Captain America: Winter Soldier," along with Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes (who becomes assassin the Winter Soldier), Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders and Scarlett Johansson. Anthony Mackie will play Cap ally The Falcon.

Anthony Russo and Joe Russo are helming the actioner from a script by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. Pic is dated for an April 4, 2014 release.

Time Out interviewed Hayley Atwell and revealed she WON'T return for the sequel.....

But it was last year’s double-whammy of Golden Globe nomination for miniseries ‘The Pillars of the Earth’ and blockbuster debut as Chris Evans’s’ all-action girlfriend in ‘Captain America: the First Avenger’ that brought her to international attention. She won’t, she confirms, be back for the latter’s sequel, which moves the action into the present day.

‘Captain America’ also highlighted Atwell’s canny decision to juggle stage and screen roles. While the Marvel smash topped the box office charts, ‘I was in jogging pants, script in hand and cups of coffee in polystyrene cups at the Royal Court [rehearsing ‘The Faith Machine’]. It reminded me why I’m doing this. “Captain America” was a commercial success, but it doesn’t come close to what was asked of me in “Restless” or [the imminent second series of Charlie Brooker’s satirical drama] “Black Mirror”.’

Main Cast list so far: Chris Evans, Emily VanCamp, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Frank Grillo, Cobie Smulders, Toby Jones, Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson.

Hot off the heels of actress Hayley Atwell saying flat out she won't return for the sequel, comes word that she WILL in fact return in some form, most likely in a flashback/cameo appearance. Stanley Tucci, who played Dr. Abraham Erskine in the first film, says that Atwell herself told him she is, "Going back to do a flashback scene."

From Collider

Stanley Tucci Says Hayley Atwell Will Be Making a Cameo in CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Last month, we reported that Hayley Atwell would not be reprising her role as Peggy Carter in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. In an interview with TimeOut, she said she wouldn’t be returning. However, Steve interviewed her Captain America co-star Stanley Tucci earlier today for Jack the Giant Slayer, and it looks like her comments may have been a little misdirection or the script has changed since her interview.

Tucci is one of my favorite actors, and was one of the best aspects of Captain America: The First Avenger. When asked about the film, Tucci talked about how much he enjoyed working on it:

I loved making that movie. I had a great time. I really like Joe Johnston. I think he’s a wonderful director. I also love the look of the film, and the tone of the film, and the character was great. I was thrilled to be able to play that. I was so sad that I died because I wanted to come back and do another one. It was great to be offered this old, German scientist. I thought, “Oh, that’s great.” I couldn’t tell if I was really flattered or insulted. I don’t know.

When Steve brought up the film’s strong love story, and Tucci shared that praise:

Oh, it does. And Hayley Atwell, who I just had dinner with last night, we’ve become good friends. I really love that. I really love the relationship between the two of them.

It’s been strongly hinted that there would be flashbacks in Winter Soldier, and Steve asked Tucci if he had been asked back to appear in those scenes. Tucci replied,

No, they haven’t, unfortunately. I’m really sad. I know that Hayley is going back to do a flashback scene, but I have not been asked.

While I would love to see more of the Dr. Abraham Erskine, it doesn’t make much sense since he got to see Super Soldier Steve Rogers for all of ten seconds before being killed. There’s a far greater likelihood of Atwell, especially since a deleted scene in The Avengers shows Rogers going through old dossiers and discovering that Peggy is still alive. However, as Tucci says, it looks like we’re going to be seeing Peggy in a flashback scene. It will be interesting to see if this pans out, and how the scene will fit into the film.

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige described the sequel as, "A political thriller."

From Variety

Marvel's Feige keeps tentpole fare fresh
ICG Publicist Guild Awards @ 50

Kevin Feige spends every day with comicbook superheroes. As Marvel Studios prexy, he's producing the company's next six films -- two per year for the next three years, starting with "Iron Man 3," which is set for a May 3 release.

"We're entering that finishing crunch time where the days of the week have no meaning because you're working all seven of them," says Feige, who is receiving the Motion Picture Showmanship Award from the ICG Publicists Guild.

The challenge is not the number of projects but rather making sure that each is a fresh take on the genre. Being able to populate the films with rich, three-dimensional characters and employing a wealth of storylines that have been developed over the decades in print makes it much easier to pull off, Feige says.

And when it all comes together, the results are boffo: "The Avengers" was one of 2012's most popular pics, according to Rottentomatoes.com, and with more than $620 million in ticket sales it was the year's box office champ by a large margin.

As long as Marvel stays on its game, Feige believes its pics will continue to do well in a genre that is far from a passing trend.

"If it is a fad, it's one that lasts 30 to 40 years, as the Western did, because each one is so different," he says. "There's an opportunity to graft almost sub-genres onto them. Our first Captain America film was a World War II picture, and the next is a political thriller. They all have their own textures and patinas, and that's what is exciting about it."

This one already looks tenfold better than the first! I love how Scarlett seems to be more prominent in this one. This looks fantastic!!!

And the uniform looks much better!

First trailer didn't interest me, the second trailer looks good though. I always found Captain America as the most boring avenger IMO, but this looks good.