Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Captain EO closing permanently December 6

Actually, Germany is true. Rhine River Cruise. Rhine River Cruise Mysteries - Imagineering Disney -

Japan, the rumor was our version of the Matterhorn themed to Mt. Fuji, but I believe that was just blue-sky and never got any thing beyond that.

Well yes and no. Part of the building was built. When I looked at the map I did see a part of the building that I couldn't figure out what it was, but it was way too small to be a ride. Looks like it was the unload/load area that I was seeing.

As I recall, the facade was built for the show-building in Japan (the fortress), but the actual show-building wasn't. The Germany show-building IS there.

Actually, Germany is true. Rhine River Cruise. Rhine River Cruise Mysteries - Imagineering Disney -

Japan, the rumor was our version of the Matterhorn themed to Mt. Fuji, but I believe that was just blue-sky and never got any thing beyond that.

Japan was originally to have the Meet the World show that was in TDL. Then in the 90s as part of Eisner's goal to upgrade Epcot the Mt Fuji and bullet train attractions came to be.

Short Film Fest.

Has that smell of desperation.
Well, it is desperation. Of course it's not permanent, but it's also filling a need for higher capacity once Frozen opens.

I would hope that once Soarin'/Frozen open, the Imagination pavilion goes down for a major re-do shortly after though.

Good riddance to EO, talk about overstaying its welcome twice in two different decades.

As for Imagination... well, that's WDI to sit and wait for the funding to come in for whatever they have planned, be it Figment, Inside Out or whatever. But it's... it's gonna be a long wait.

Good riddance to EO, talk about overstaying its welcome twice in two different decades.

As for Imagination... well, that's WDI to sit and wait for the funding to come in for whatever they have planned, be it Figment, Inside Out or whatever. But it's... it's gonna be a long wait.

As much as I hate the idea of where they placed Frozen, it did start something new with Epcot. Which is building something without outside funding. This is a first for Disney and Epcot. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see more of this in the coming years. After Studios is fixed, Epcot is going to stick out like a sore thumb and Disney will have to do something. Events is the only thing keeping this park alive, which is why it is no surprise that the events keep getting longer and longer. But at some point if you make them too long they lose something. Frozen will be a huge bump to Epcot, but will just point out the weaknesses in this park which is not much good things to do. Once that dies down, the numbers will go down and that is when I see Disney not waiting for sponsorship to do something to fix this park.

I think the other innovations closing was a product of losing sponsorship. I was talking to a guy who worked for the one company who sponsored one of those things. He said his company was pulling out when their contract was up. The company didn't see a benefit for it anymore. I wasn't sure when the contract was up, but he made it sound like soon because he talked about no longer getting his paid trips to Orlando to make sure everything was still good with the exhibit.

As much as I hate the idea of where they placed Frozen, it did start something new with Epcot. Which is building something without outside funding. This is a first for Disney and Epcot. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see more of this in the coming years. After Studios is fixed, Epcot is going to stick out like a sore thumb and Disney will have to do something. Events is the only thing keeping this park alive, which is why it is no surprise that the events keep getting longer and longer. But at some point if you make them too long they lose something. Frozen will be a huge bump to Epcot, but will just point out the weaknesses in this park which is not much good things to do. Once that dies down, the numbers will go down and that is when I see Disney not waiting for sponsorship to do something to fix this park.

I think the other innovations closing was a product of losing sponsorship. I was talking to a guy who worked for the one company who sponsored one of those things. He said his company was pulling out when their contract was up. The company didn't see a benefit for it anymore. I wasn't sure when the contract was up, but he made it sound like soon because he talked about no longer getting his paid trips to Orlando to make sure everything was still good with the exhibit.
And we get MK2.0. Only more shallow. The intellectual depth of a kiddie pool. Which is fine. Modern Americans are mental Giants in a world of midgets. Class and intelligence are hallmarks of the Honey Boo Boo/Duck Dynasty generation.

A little harsh towards the very idea of synergy. I don't think the original "Journey Into Imagination" was a work of high art that "simpletons" couldn't understand. (although I do miss it dearly)

You can make attractions about an existing IP intelligent and well-done, even at Disney. They just used to not want to put the budget in to do so.

IPs sell tickets, that is why Uni is not creating original content. That is really the bottom line. I think the age of original IPs is gone and HP was the last nail in the coffin.

IPs sell tickets, that is why Uni is not creating original content. That is really the bottom line. I think the age of original IPs is gone and HP was the last nail in the coffin.
I think you're pretty much right on that. The huge costs associated with theme park attractions basically guarantee they'll be associated with a popular IP that can also drive merchandise and possibly food sales, in addition to attendance. I doubt you'll see very many non IP associated attractions at Disney or Universal in the future.

I think you're pretty much right on that. The huge costs associated with theme park attractions basically guarantee they'll be associated with a popular IP that can also drive merchandise and possibly food sales, in addition to attendance. I doubt you'll see very many non IP associated attractions at Disney or Universal in the future.
And I honestly can't fault either park for doing this. They are a company that has to make money. So if they are going to invest the kind of money they are investing they want a return faster. HP changed everything. One of the reasons is the return on investment happened way faster than anyone predicted including Uni. It is the reason Uni is building so much now and why Disney is now doing stuff. No one can ignore those types of profits.

And I honestly can't fault either park for doing this. They are a company that has to make money. So if they are going to invest the kind of money they are investing they want a return faster. HP changed everything. One of the reasons is the return on investment happened way faster than anyone predicted including Uni. It is the reason Uni is building so much now and why Disney is now doing stuff. No one can ignore those types of profits.
Mystic Manor opened as an amazing original IP along with a great dining location themed to the era of the ride, which works out very well.

Original stuff can still be built and still sell well if it's executed properly.