Cats (2019 film) | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Cats (2019 film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
i find it funny that people are saying like cats movie when they never seen the actually musical and coplaing that taylor only got 5 minutes of screen time

This sounds like it has all the makings of an 88% on rotten tomatoes and 7% for audiences...

Critics thinking they should like something when in reality no one likes it. This thing is gonna bomb.
i dont think it will bomb

i dont think it will bomb

A projected $15m opening doesn’t bode well. Although musicals don’t often have big openings, so that won’t be a nail in the coffin, necessarily. Musicals rely on word of mouth.

Something like greatest showman blew up because of word of mouth. Unless cats gets that, it’s sunk. And I don’t see word of mouth saying much more than, at best, “it was really weird, you should see it”. But maybe I’m wrong and it gets a huge following.

A projected $15m opening doesn’t bode well. Although musicals don’t often have big openings. Something like greatest showman blew up because of word of mouth. Unless cats gets that, it’s sunk. And I don’t see word of mouth saying much more than, at best, “it was really weird, you should see it”

15M Domestic....remember how Asia doesn't really like SW but seems to go crazy for musicals....thats where CATS will shine.

Reactions: Andysol
A projected $15m opening doesn’t bode well. Although musicals don’t often have big openings. Something like greatest showman blew up because of word of mouth. Unless cats gets that, it’s sunk. And I don’t see word of mouth saying much more than, at best, “it was really weird, you should see it”. But maybe I’m wrong and it gets a huge following.
i wont be surpaise if it beats star wars in the long run form what i hearing they really messed up that movie

i wont be surpaise if it beats star wars in the long run form what i hearing they really messed up that movie
Pass on over what you’re smoking :lol:

Even a failed Star Wars film (Solo) made over $400M box office. Maybe overseas will help Cats, but in reality $500M is probably its absolute ceiling, and that’s if it performs well overseas.

On the other hand, TRoS is practically a shoe-in for anywhere from $1.1-$1.3 BILLION. I know I’d certainly feel comfortable putting money on it if I had to.

A projected $15m opening doesn’t bode well. Although musicals don’t often have big openings, so that won’t be a nail in the coffin, necessarily. Musicals rely on word of mouth.

Something like greatest showman blew up because of word of mouth. Unless cats gets that, it’s sunk. And I don’t see word of mouth saying much more than, at best, “it was really weird, you should see it”. But maybe I’m wrong and it gets a huge following.

Projections have been hideously wrong throughout this entire year. Doctor Sleep was supposed to nab 25m, Aladdin only 60m, Godzilla was gonna get 50m, etc, etc...And besides, musicals are known for long legs. Greatest Showman opened below 20m and ended up grossing something like 175m, and that's just in America.

Did you read my post you quoted that said the same thing that you typed?

Fine, if you want other examples:

Mamma Mia 2: 34m OW >> 120.63m Dom (3.45 times)

Rocketman: 25.7m OW >> 96.37m Dom (3.75 times)

Bohemian Rhapsody: 51.1m OW >> 216.3m Dom (4.24 times)

A Star is Born: 42.9m OW >> 215.3m Dom (5.02 times)

Les Miserables: 27.3m OW >> 148.8m Dom (5.45 times)

Mary Poppins Returns: 23.5m OW >> 171.96m Dom (6.06 times)

My point was that musicals get good legs in general, especially when they're released in the holidays like MPR, BoRhap and TGS, and even when they're terrible like BoRhap and Les Mis. Notice that the two with the lowest legs were released in summer, where older folks who tend to watch musicals don't have vacations.

Even an average 4-5x legs off of a 15m opening puts it in range for minimal loss. If the 15m opening ends up being a lowball - which all indications, from social media metrics to presales, point to it being - then this movie should be profitable.

Starts at 6% on RT.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Magic-Man
15% now.

LMAO "Oh god. My eyes"- Boston Critic.

You can polish a turd. It's still a turd. Cats is one of the worst entertainment products ever made compared to how much money it took in.

I never give a toot what critics and audiences have to say about films. Judge everything for yourself. That said, the reviews coming out so far are quite funny if slightly OTT:

Boston Globe
My eyes are burning. Oh God, my eyes.

Collider
Can you make a movie so bad that the Academy takes back your Best Director Oscar? Asking for Tom Hooper.

The Beat
Cats is the worst thing to happen to cats since dogs.

Hollywood Reporter
Cat-astrophic.

LA Times
"Cats” is both a horror and an endurance test.

Slashfilm
There is a thin line between idiocy and genius, and Cats pukes a hairball on it and rubs its ass all over it.

And my personal favourites:

The Playlist
Once Tom Hooper's 110 minutes of Cats are over, theater is dead. And we unchosen ones are left, tragically, to continue living.

New York Times
It's amazing to see what Adult Swim can accomplish with a $100 million budget. I never knew Tom Hooper was capable of making a surrealist nightmare that would rival Jodorowsky, that could baffle David Lynch, that would prompt even the dark god Cthulhu to emit an impressed eldritch shriek of “nehehehehehe”