Cats (2019 film) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Cats (2019 film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So two nights ago I attended the advanced screening of Cats. And what I'd experienced in that theater is only what I could describe as "magical". Here's my blotchy attempt at a non-Spoiler review. [Side Note: Prior to watching the movie, my knowledge about the musical was very minimal. I had a general understanding of the story and I'd only gotten halfway through the OBC album before forgetting to complete it].

If you're expecting a smooth, welcoming, not-creepy introduction to the Cats' onscreen appearances to spare you from being immediately hit with the pure uncanny valley-ness of the characters, you're not going to be happy. It's actually very very terrifying. Those first few minutes left me paralyzed with shock and confusion at what I was witnessing, yet I was enjoying how bizarre it was; and over time, I found myself loosening up to their designs (although I spotted a couple of tiny VFX hiccups where the movement of their faces didn't exactly align with the rest of their heads).

The direction and pacing is sort of confusing -- sometimes it decides it's a goofy, quirky kids movie and other times it decides it's a serious, generally-faithful adaption of an old, beloved musical. Polar Express, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Spy Kids all come to mind when I think about what half of the movie reminds me of (I get heavy Polar Express vibes from the entire movie though, and it's not just because of the uncanny valley). Then you've got the more dramatic, slow, "artsy" moments -- and some of those moments get kind of boring and go on for way too long (and borderline sexual for like a handful of scenes). "The Rum Tum Tugger", "Bustopher Jones", "Gus the Theater Cat", and "Mr. Mistoffelees" are some of my favorite moments in the entire film and don't fall on either of the two categories I mentioned.

Idris Elba is just having the time of his life playing Macavity; he's just so fun to watch every time he's onscreen. It's very clear that all the actors are giving it their best, and it actually surprised me how much effort was put into their performances... and then all that effort are watered down by those horrific, disturbing, putrid, spine-tingling designs.

There's a lot more I'd love to talk about, but I'm currently at a drainage of energy. So here's my overall consensus: I can't hate this movie. I just can't. It's so unapologetically bizarre, surreal, and childish that I just can't hate it. That's not to say I think the film is good (it's definitely going to be confusing for the general audience), but it does enough for me that I actually don't mind watching it again. It's a very interesting, different take on the musical (story-wise), and this film adaption is more for the fans than it is for children.

[1:42 AM: I've been catching up with this thread and read the article quinnmac000 linked about the director's reaction towards the backlash. A statement stuck out to me: "“The problem with the trailer was that the faces had got lost in the effects.”
No. That was not the problem. I don't know if it's because he worded it wrong and meant something else, that's exactly the opposite of the problem.]

Last edited:
So two nights ago I attended the advanced screening of Cats. And what I'd experienced in that theater is only what I could describe as "magical". Here's my blotchy attempt at a non-Spoiler review. [Side Note: Prior to watching the movie, my knowledge about the musical was very minimal. I had a general understanding of the story and I'd only gotten halfway through the OBC album before forgetting to complete it].

If you're expecting a smooth, welcoming, not-creepy introduction to the Cats' onscreen appearances to spare you from being immediately hit with the pure uncanny valley-ness of the characters, you're not going to be happy. It's actually very very terrifying. Those first few minutes left me paralyzed with shock and confusion at what I was witnessing, yet I was enjoying how bizarre it was; and over time, I found myself loosening up to their designs (although I spotted a couple of tiny VFX hiccups where the movement of their faces didn't exactly align with the rest of their heads).

The direction and pacing is sort of confusing -- sometimes it decides it's a goofy, quirky kids movie and other times it decides it's a serious, generally-faithful adaption of an old, beloved musical. Polar Express, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Spy Kids all come to mind when I think about what half of the movie reminds me of (I get heavy Polar Express vibes from the entire movie though, and it's not just because of the uncanny valley). Then you've got the more dramatic, slow, "artsy" moments -- and some of those moments get kind of boring and go on for way too long (and borderline sexual for like a handful of scenes). "The Rum Tum Tugger", "Bustopher Jones", "Gus the Theater Cat", and "Mr. Mistoffelees" are some of my favorite moments in the entire film and don't fall on either of the two categories I mentioned.

Idris Elba is just having the time of his life playing Macavity; he's just so fun to watch every time he's onscreen. It's very clear that all the actors are giving it their best, and it actually surprised me how much effort was put into their performances... and then all that effort are watered down by those horrific, disturbing, putrid, spine-tingling designs.

There's a lot more I'd love to talk about, but I'm currently at a drainage of energy. So here's my overall consensus: I can't hate this movie. I just can't. It's so unapologetically bizarre, surreal, and whimsical that I just can't hate it. That's not to say I think the film is good (it's definitely going to be confusing for the general audience), but it does enough for me that I actually don't mind watching it again. It's a very interesting, different take on the musical (story-wise), and this film adaption is more for the fans than it is for children.

[1:42 AM: I've been catching up with this thread and read the article quinnmac000 linked about the director's reaction towards the backlash. A statement stuck out to me: "“The problem with the trailer was that the faces had got lost in the effects.”
No. That was not the problem. I don't know if it's because he worded it wrong and meant something else, that's exactly the opposite of the problem.]

The negative reviews have been some of the best marketing I've seen.

I will see it tonight since Parasite is no longer playing where I am.

The negative reviews have been some of the best marketing I've seen.

I will see it tonight since Parasite is no longer playing where I am.
I agree. I haven't had this much fun reading reviews in ages. truly awful films transcends bad into its own realm of awfulness. The critics are trying ti figure out how and why such a film could even come into existence. It's been a long time since I've seen reviewers literally shocked by how bad a film this is, even for its low expectations. I think that last time I read such negative, but funny, reviews was when the musical version of Lost Horizons came out.

Film is on pace to open with $8M (It was expected to make $15-17M) and had a C+ CinemaScore.

You could live with the opening since it's a musical and musicals can have big legs. The Greatest Showman only opened with around $8M, but had a great CinemaScore. The C+ CinemaScore basically put this DOA though as it has little chance of actually having legs.

Yes, but on streaming. Ain’t no way I’d pay actual money to see this dumpster fire just to laugh at how bad it is.
giphy.gif

Saw this today, and honestly? It wasn't bad at all. I was expecting a film so bad that the whole theater was laughing through the whole thing, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. The cats were a bit creepy, sure, but even then I got used to them by the end of it.
For real though, the movie is nowhere near as bad as the reviews made it seem. There are definite issues (Rebel Wilson, the unfinished CGI), but when it clicks right (The Jellicle Ball, Skimbleshanks, Ian McKellan), the movie is actually magical.

More importantly, after about twenty minutes, you get use to the bad CGI.

I really think the incomplete trailer doomed this movie from day one, and gave EVERYONE their “this is the eater of worlds” pull quotes before they even saw the movie.

Oh look the over reaction and negativity of the internet effects another film. I’m sure the movie is fine, and not nearly the punchline so many people want it to be.

gotta get that Tweet and lame meme out there to boost followers quickly!

The movie WAS pretty bad but I think it's because the musical's pretty bad. I imagine if you enjoy the musical, you would enjoy this too as it's still overall pretty well done except for the CGI at times. But when it looks good, it looks really good.

From what I read of the reviews, their issues are with the songs and story of the musical itself, which the movie is just a faithful adaptation of.

Reactions: Andysol
I did not expect to unironically love it. Rum Tum Tugger slapped hard. Macavity was alot of fun which surprised me alot.

Though I will be a happy man if I never see a humanized cockroach ever again.

Reactions: KreepyKarpy
I did not expect to unironically love it. Rum Tum Tugger slapped hard. Macavity was alot of fun which surprised me alot.

Though I will be a happy man if I never see a humanized cockroach ever again.
I'mma put a spoiler tag just cause.
I was so tense during the end of "Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer", but for the wrong reason. I wasn't worried about Victoria's endangerment. I was worried about how they were going to make the dog look, basing off of how they made the mice and the cockroaches look.

Reactions: rageofthegods
From what I read of the reviews, their issues are with the songs and story of the musical itself, which the movie is just a faithful adaptation of.
Except Mungojerrie and Rumpleteaser. They changed the melody for some odd reason (at least from the original version).

It’s popular to drag the musical though, even in theater circles. It’s delightfully weird, and the movie actually embraces that.