CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread | Page 112 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Has anyone heard anything about CityWalk potentially being revisited again just like in 2014-2016? It's pretty much reached its capacity threshold on most nights this year and with EU and more hotels coming online soon it'll need more.

Universal obviously knows that since they removed the sign upfront trying to prevent congestion. The pinch point between Cowfish and the Universal store can be quite the adventurous trek.
If they're having capacity issues, I doubt there will be a "revisit" so much as there will be new builds in underutilized areas of Citywalk. I think we're also making an assumption that some of that capacity won't be eaten up by the restaurants at EU, which could stay open later and be more convenient visits than the Citywalk a few miles away.

Obviously, we're expecting the total population of UOR visitors to increase once EU opens, so I think both new spaces at Citywalk and an easing of capacity problems are both likely.

If they're having capacity issues, I doubt there will be a "revisit" so much as there will be new builds in underutilized areas of Citywalk. I think we're also making an assumption that some of that capacity won't be eaten up by the restaurants at EU, which could stay open later and be more convenient visits than the Citywalk a few miles away.

Obviously, we're expecting the total population of UOR visitors to increase once EU opens, so I think both new spaces at Citywalk and an easing of capacity problems are both likely.

More guests visiting UOR because of Epic will create more visitors to USF/IOA, which will require guests arriving from the new resorts to arrive at the bus/security hub which then feed into CityWalk.

The upper level of CityWalk is prime real estate for a reimagining to add shops/dining outlets that are actually used. Same with the waterfront, which is severely underutilized.

More guests visiting UOR because of Epic will create more visitors to USF/IOA, which will require guests arriving from the new resorts to arrive at the bus/security hub which then feed into CityWalk.

The upper level of CityWalk is prime real estate for a reimagining to add shops/dining outlets that are actually used. Same with the waterfront, which is severely underutilized.

There are no reimagining plans. Bob Marley, Pat O's, and Rising Star pull in good crowds during the weekend nights. The only spot ripe was Red Coconut, but it has found new life with Dead Coconut. The waterfront will stay as is due to the stage usage, and as a walkway for water taxis. The only thing set for CW is the opening of the Great Movie Escape and Legacy Store's eventual replacement.

Is there even any unused space in Citywalk?

I could see them slotting something in the empty Blue Man group entrance area.

The only other thing I could think of is slotting something in along the waterfront near Hard Rock and Toothsome.

There are no reimagining plans. Bob Marley, Pat O's, and Rising Star pull in good crowds during the weekend nights. The only spot ripe was Red Coconut, but it has found new life with Dead Coconut. The waterfront will stay as is due to the stage usage, and as a walkway for water taxis. The only thing set for CW is the opening of the Great Movie Escape and Legacy Store's eventual replacement.

Any clue if Movie Escape uses the alleged empty shell between Pat O’s and the Groove? Where Fat Tuesday is.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Is the Dead Coconut Lounge sticking around after HHN? I figured it was just for around for the season.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95

From Screamscape--the SNL Nightclub has been canned due to the popularity and success of Dead Coconut. The plan going forward (which will include the return of Dead Coconut), will be to have the venue be purposefully rethemed to match with each season's offerings.
The SNL club was canceled because the overlay club was successful…? Or, was the overlay club put into place because the SNL club was never greenlit to begin with.

Much cheaper to swap some temporary elements (or even opening OG Red Coconut during the summer for "limited engagement") than to gut, rebuild, license, theme, and permanently open an SNL bar. Plus the seasonal swapping generates more interest than visiting the venue (see: HHN shirt releases, exclusive merch sales at WDW, etc).

The SNL club was canceled because the overlay club was successful…? Or, was the overlay club put into place because the SNL club was never greenlit to begin with.

Yeah if it was actually greenlit they would have started construction very quickly afterward. Feels more like one of two competing proposals won out.

Much cheaper to swap some temporary elements (or even opening OG Red Coconut during the summer for "limited engagement") than to gut, rebuild, license, theme, and permanently open an SNL bar. Plus the seasonal swapping generates more interest than visiting the venue (see: HHN shirt releases, exclusive merch sales at WDW, etc).

Yeah if it was actually greenlit they would have started construction very quickly afterward. Feels more like one of two competing proposals won out.

Perhaps it was just me, but wasn't the SNL club rumored prior to COVID? I thought it had traction in development during that period prior, and was halted due to the pandemic and of a venue like that not being acceptable at the time.

Whichever came first, the cancellation of the SNL club or the success of the Coconut, I'm very glad it happened. The Coconut is a very pleasant space and rotating the theming keeps it nice and fresh. It's a great addition, and there are other spaces that could hold the SNL club. I wish they'd stick with the period music all night at the Coconut, but if it makes sense to change over at 8:30, I'll take what I can get. I'm curious to hear the Mardi Gras soundtrack - Halloween, holidays, and summer all have an ample selection of classic songs to chose from, but Mardi Gras might take some inventiveness.

Whichever came first, the cancellation of the SNL club or the success of the Coconut, I'm very glad it happened. The Coconut is a very pleasant space and rotating the theming keeps it nice and fresh. It's a great addition, and there are other spaces that could hold the SNL club. I wish they'd stick with the period music all night at the Coconut, but if it makes sense to change over at 8:30, I'll take what I can get. I'm curious to hear the Mardi Gras soundtrack - Halloween, holidays, and summer all have an ample selection of classic songs to chose from, but Mardi Gras might take some inventiveness.

I think Mardi Gras would be quite easy considering New Orleans is the birthplace of Jazz.

What’s quite interesting is if you go into Rising Star and look at the walls, you’ll notice it’s covered in Jazz memorabilia. All leftover from when it was a club called City Jazz.

Not sure where else they’d put an SNL Club outside of the rumored empty space between Pat O’s and the Escape Rooms. Tight on space.

I think Mardi Gras would be quite easy considering New Orleans is the birthplace of Jazz.

What’s quite interesting is if you go into Rising Star and look at the walls, you’ll notice it’s covered in Jazz memorabilia. All leftover from when it was a club called City Jazz.

Not sure where else they’d put an SNL Club outside of the rumored empty space between Pat O’s and the Escape Rooms. Tight on space.
Yes, but Mardi Gras jazz doesn't really mesh with 50s tiki bar the way the Halloween soundtrack did or I suspect the holiday and summer selections will. The trick is to get the spirit of the season filtered through the vibe of the Coconut.

Maybe they're cash cows and I'm oblivious, but everything in between the Coconut and the escape rooms strikes me as a lackluster holdover from an earlier era in Citywalk's history. Bob Marley in particular seems like its ripe for repurposing. Rising Star and Bubba Gump fail to interest me at all, but knowledgeable folks on here say they do well, so I suppose they serve a purpose.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts