Comcast Buys Dreamworks Animation for $3.8bn | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Comcast Buys Dreamworks Animation for $3.8bn

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Thinking about this a lot and saw that Dongpo Chicken opened up at Universal Studios Hollywood City Walk, a massive Chinese chain (as in the country) with very few locations in the USA. With the international success of DreamWorks compared to the USA, Dongpo, and even USH's embracing of the Chinese new year and a mandarin speaking Transformer I bet they get the first major DreamWorks projects and land.

Thinking about this a lot and saw that Dongpo Chicken opened up at Universal Studios Hollywood City Walk, a massive Chinese chain (as in the country) with very few locations in the USA. With the international success of DreamWorks compared to the USA, Dongpo, and even USH's embracing of the Chinese new year and a mandarin speaking Transformer I bet they get the first major DreamWorks projects and land.

In a strange way, I agree with this wholeheartedly. Either USH or Beijing will be the first to get the major DWA projects in my opinion.. Either way, it's an exciting time for the studio and the theme park's...

It's official, Comcast has officially acquired DreamWorks Animtion for 3.8 Billion dollars as of August 22nd.

Good news, considering the original news was this would be finalized by the end of the year. This will allow plans involving DW to get into high gear.

We will obviously see DW in the third park. I wonder if we will see any of it in the current Orlando parks? I can easily see a Toon Lagoon gift shop or two filled with their merchandise.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Good news, considering the original news was this would be finalized by the end of the year. This will allow plans involving DW to get into high gear.

We will obviously see DW in the third park. I wonder if we will see any of it in the current Orlando parks? I can easily see a Toon Lagoon gift shop or two filled with their merchandise.
Yes, that finalization was certainly fast tracked. Good signs.

So do Dreamworks characters become the property of Universal despite being distributed by other studios? If sequels happen do they remain under that distributor or xo they move to Universal?

So do Dreamworks characters become the property of Universal despite being distributed by other studios? If sequels happen do they remain under that distributor or xo they move to Universal?
It's like Pixar and Disney.

Anything Pixar is Disney, and anything Dreamworks is Universal.

Ownership and distribution are two completely separate things. Universal owns all the DreamWorks characters, within the bounds of those characters being licensed. How to Train Your Dragon is based on books. Any existing contracts for distribution have to be honored, but that does not affect Universal owning those characters.

Reactions: Ryan
Ownership and distribution are two completely separate things. Universal owns all the DreamWorks characters, within the bounds of those characters being licensed. How to Train Your Dragon is based on books. Any existing contracts for distribution have to be honored, but that does not affect Universal owning those characters.

Correct, and Universal is working on getting more distribution back from Fox starting with Captain Underpants coming out next year.

Great family photo.

Next time they need to put Marilyn up front.:)

The new walkarounds, Po and Toothless (man I hope there's a Hiccup face character) are built for USH. Alex and Puss are copies from Singapore.

I have no idea when or how they'll start appearing in the park (HHN/Grinchmas may put those plans on hold), or if there's also costumes made for Florida yet. Not surprised at all that walkarounds are the first inclusion to the parks, I'm just curious to see how quickly they are implemented. (of course Shrek/Fiona/Donkey already exist)

Universal Filmed Entertainment Group has solidified the leadership structure for DreamWorks Animation, a day after NBCUniversal completed its $3.8-billion acquisition of the Glendale studio.
DreamWorks Animation’s film group, known for movie franchises like “Kung Fu Panda” and “Shrek,” will continue to be run by feature animation co-Presidents Bonnie Arnold and Mireille Soria. The executives will report to Universal Pictures Chairman Donna Langley, the company said Tuesday.
As part of the new structure, Ann Daly, longtime DreamWorks Animation president and ally of former Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg, is stepping down. She will serve as an advisor during the transition, the company said.

Thank God Meledandri isn't head honcho for both.