Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

You can purchase Minion goggles if you want to simulate the previous experience
X9EdSfN.jpg

Nah. They’re just over correcting

Probably the fairest takeaway.

As stated when it happened to the USH version, there is a screen issue AND a 3D issue. With DM, there's precedent it worked without it in Japan, and it was the easiest of the 3D attractions to convert. It finally making its way over here leads me to believe that the general reception to the USH conversion has been positive.

The official line is that this change was made because of “guest complaints”. With it being one of the only rides aimed at kids in the park, I get cutting 3D as you are more prone to motion sickness at a younger age.

As stated when it happened to the USH version, there is a screen issue AND a 3D issue. With DM, there's precedent it worked without it in Japan, and it was the easiest of the 3D attractions to convert. It finally making its way over here leads me to believe that the general reception to the USH conversion has been positive.
Yea, I get that... But it helps that they use the old BttF ride system with the giant dome screens in Japan... which were never intended to be in 3D.

Japan is a different experience overall, not just a 2D version of ours. It looks to be a total rerendering of the film to properly use the dome. I’m willing to bet that 3D is nearly impossible at adequate light levels on that screen, and probably wouldn’t add that much anyway, except maybe some motion sickness.

Maybe replacement lenses are getting hard to come by, and they are saving them for the rides that can’t function adequately without them. As far as I know Dolby doesn’t sell the glasses with plastic lenses anymore but I don’t know what other suppliers they might have.

Japan is a different experience overall, not just a 2D version of ours. It looks to be a total rerendering of the film to properly use the dome. I’m willing to bet that 3D is nearly impossible at adequate light levels on that screen, and probably wouldn’t add that much anyway, except maybe some motion sickness.

Maybe replacement lenses are getting hard to come by, and they are saving them for the rides that can’t function adequately without them. As far as I know Dolby doesn’t sell the glasses with plastic lenses anymore but I don’t know what other suppliers they might have.
Universal still buys the cheap plastic glasses for Shrek if that’s what you were talking about. They literally throw them out after 40 washes.