Disney Annual Pass Struture and Pricing Change | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Annual Pass Struture and Pricing Change

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Simpsons was simply a theming of an area where there was an already existing ride. TF is fun, but eh if you went on Spidey during the day and CityWalk renovations aren't something that has been too publicized by Universal to the GP. It makes the place look better, but it's CityWalk (same with CB... I know I mentioned new hotels, but I was just talking resort enhancements).

Point is, you can't use something you updated or added outside of the actual parks as a reason to up the prices. Plus those are just money makers on their own. Everything being added (for the post part) will be inside of a park - either the existing parks or VB. The only things we know of besides that is Sapphire and the NBA replacement. There's A LOT coming in the parks that are either D's or E's down the pipeline. VB itself will cause a major restructuring.

Listen, I get there's a lot coming, but a lot has come before too. I can explain away Hulk, Fallon, and F&F in similar ways you explained away Transformers and Simpsons. I'm sure prices will rise, but I'm not convinced they will as steeply as you do until it happens. UOR has shown a pretty decent commitment to keeping their APs happy.

And I have serious doubts Volcano Bay will affect current AP pricing or tiers. I expect it to have its own AP separate from the other parks.

Reactions: anihilnation
And I have serious doubts Volcano Bay will affect current AP pricing or tiers. I expect it to have its own AP separate from the other parks.
I Think there will likely be a 4th tier added that will include Volcano Bay. All other tiers will likely include a VB option (and it will likely include it's own AP).

Right now a Disney Water Parks AP is $110 or $66 for an After 2 pass just for a bit of perception. Of course Volcano Bay will be 100% new and next level, so I can see them charging $150-200 for APs.

But i'd imagine if the option is there, most would just add it on to an existing AP.

The only way I can see theme park prices going down is if something catastrophic happens. When 911 happened, the theme park industry was hit hard. I obviously wouldn't want to see this happen but this is the only scenario in which I would expect to see a decrease in price. Just sayin

Meh. I just renewed my non-Florida resident Universal pass with no blackout dates, counter service food discounts (something Disney doesn't do period), and included parking for 170 dollars. Add in that I get 3 weeks of HHN for 70 dollars, and I get way more for way less at Universal

How did you do that? Online it says $299.99 for preferred. I know renewal you get a discount, but I never remember it being that large of a discount. $214.99 is the power pass which is equal to Silver at Disney, but now Disney has free parking and Uni does not. So you figure in the end you will spend more for the pass since each visit will be an extra $20. Considering Uni is 2 parks vs 4 parks I think the prices are about equal. These are non-resident prices since you mentioned you got a non-Florida resident pass.

Now you consider value vs dollar in the terms of TYPES of rides. That is subjective and depends on your family. I know more people who like Disney vs. Universal. Why? Because they have young kids. Just like I have young kids. So there is more to do at Disney than Uni. Another reason? They are older (my mom, mother in law, father in law, older friends they have) and they don't do thrill rides so there is more at Disney for them. I met a couple the other day that just got Universal passes and they said it would probably be the last time because they hate how all the "old" rides are gone. All their "memories" are gone. Do I think this way? Nope. They also hated how they felt like they were at the movies all day putting on those stupid glasses (their words, not mine). So value for the type of rides are subjective and both parks have their markets. You are clearly in Uni's market so Uni pass is a better value for you. A family with young kids or a older couple is clearly in the Disney market and so Disney is a better value. Me? I like them all equally and I happily spend money at all three parks (I also get Sea World passes too). I like various things at all the parks. I like the young kid stuff at Disney for my daughter and the characters she loves so much, but I love Universal for the thrill rides and the enjoyment that brings me. I love the special events Sea world does for free (Halloween, Christmas, etc.) and the shows that everyone enjoys.

Reactions: twebber55 and Nick
How did you do that? Online it says $299.99 for preferred. I know renewal you get a discount, but I never remember it being that large of a discount. $214.99 is the power pass which is equal to Silver at Disney, but now Disney has free parking and Uni does not. So you figure in the end you will spend more for the pass since each visit will be an extra $20. Considering Uni is 2 parks vs 4 parks I think the prices are about equal. These are non-resident prices since you mentioned you got a non-Florida resident pass.

Now you consider value vs dollar in the terms of TYPES of rides. That is subjective and depends on your family. I know more people who like Disney vs. Universal. Why? Because they have young kids. Just like I have young kids. So there is more to do at Disney than Uni. Another reason? They are older (my mom, mother in law, father in law, older friends they have) and they don't do thrill rides so there is more at Disney for them. I met a couple the other day that just got Universal passes and they said it would probably be the last time because they hate how all the "old" rides are gone. All their "memories" are gone. Do I think this way? Nope. They also hated how they felt like they were at the movies all day putting on those stupid glasses (their words, not mine). So value for the type of rides are subjective and both parks have their markets. You are clearly in Uni's market so Uni pass is a better value for you. A family with young kids or a older couple is clearly in the Disney market and so Disney is a better value. Me? I like them all equally and I happily spend money at all three parks (I also get Sea World passes too). I like various things at all the parks. I like the young kid stuff at Disney for my daughter and the characters she loves so much, but I love Universal for the thrill rides and the enjoyment that brings me. I love the special events Sea world does for free (Halloween, Christmas, etc.) and the shows that everyone enjoys.
Spot on post.

Disney was pretty smart doing this. They are trying to get AP holders to not go during the busy time, while allowing the seasonal people to come more often in the less busy times and spend money. I bet you they find seasonal passes will go more and normal AP holders will go the same, but instead of going to candlelight processional in the busiest weeks (which I have done) it will force us into going earlier when it is less busy. So they are doing crowd control by moving people outside the busy seasons.

I don't mind it too much. They added parking to Seasonal and pictures to gold. I think we will get one gold and two silver. We don't go enough all year round anymore to justify all gold passes or moving to Platinum. So in reality we will end up spending less on passes. But I really like that picture option as many times I have wanted pictures of my daughter with minnie, the other characters, or her first ride on something. So I really like that they added photopass downloads, hence the one gold.

The parks are all getting out of hand in reality. My sister and brother in law are coming down and REALLY want to go to Universal to see Harry Potter. It is going to cost them almost $300 for both of them to go one day. They don't have a ton of money and they are staying with us and coming down in October. So going more than one day is just not something they would do since it takes away from family time, costs more, and not needed since it is off season and they are not roller coaster people. I feel bad that they are going to spend that much for one day. Wish I knew someone that worked for Universal, but I don't. Disney, yep, Sea World, yep, but not Universal. As people said, it is a luxury item and they are pricing themselves so that not everyone can afford their luxury item. But don't fool yourself that Universal isn't doing the same. They raise their prices too and they make you get a park to park for the train ride which is the ONLY reason my family has to get the park hopper. They would be perfectly happy staying in studios since they saw the Islands of Adventure stuff during another trip a long time ago.

Quoting just to say HI! Great seeing you around again!

I Think there will likely be a 4th tier added that will include Volcano Bay. All other tiers will likely include a VB option (and it will likely include it's own AP).

Right now a Disney Water Parks AP is $110 or $66 for an After 2 pass just for a bit of perception. Of course Volcano Bay will be 100% new and next level, so I can see them charging $150-200 for APs.

But i'd imagine if the option is there, most would just add it on to an existing AP.

VB option probably $119 or something without parking, then a $75 upgrade ticket option for the other APs.

They sent me an email saying it was time to renew. I went on to renew. They told me it would be 150+ tax to renew my Preferred Pass. I paid 170 to renew my Preferred Pass.

Interesting, new non-florida resident passes are $130 more! That is quite a renewal discount. I remember once I hadn't renewed and they sent me a deal that was $60 or $80 off and I thought that was a good deal :)

Haven't posted in a long time but this thread is bringing me out. My Disney passes expired about a year and a month ago, and I haven't been since then until very recently. The first passes I got were the seasonal pass because I couldn't afford the next step up. I also lived a couple hours away so only went once every few months and made it a point to get a "cheap" hotel room on property. Now I live in Tampa, but my budget is a bit tighter. I'm a student, and rely heavily on financial aid. I don't get outside support, and have my own apartment with my wife.

So with all that being said, recently I've really had a hankering to go to Disney. But I couldn't afford the $40 a month that the regular annual pass was priced at, and the seasonal pass that I could afford didn't include parking. Since parking was so steep, we decided against getting the pass and just said eh it'll be worth waiting for when we can afford it. Fast forward to literally the next day the Silver pass is priced at $25 and parking is now free with it. We bought it immediately and left within an hour. Also went again yesterday and got to hang out at MK until midnight.

I very much understand why there are a lot of upset people. Price increases suck for a product that hasn't changed much. But I'm sure there are more people like me that could only afford the lowest tiered passes, and this is big for them.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Interesting, new non-florida resident passes are $130 more! That is quite a renewal discount. I remember once I hadn't renewed and they sent me a deal that was $60 or $80 off and I thought that was a good deal :)

I don't know if it's because I've had my pass as long as I've had it (5 years), but I don't think my renewal price has ever increased.

We have power passes, our renewal back in March was about $130. Think the new price will be about $150 when we renew again next year. What is the earliest you can renew actually?

So with all that being said, recently I've really had a hankering to go to Disney. But I couldn't afford the $40 a month that the regular annual pass was priced at, and the seasonal pass that I could afford didn't include parking. Since parking was so steep, we decided against getting the pass and just said eh it'll be worth waiting for when we can afford it. Fast forward to literally the next day the Silver pass is priced at $25 and parking is now free with it. We bought it immediately and left within an hour. Also went again yesterday and got to hang out at MK until midnight.

I'm in the same boat as a college student that tries to have fun while living within a budget. My initial reaction to the change in structure was a total knee-jerk and I did get the urge to bash Disney for it but after actually looking at the prices and benefits, the Silver pass is completely fair. The Gold pass is a bit pricey for me personally, but aside from the blockout dates it's not that different from what they offered a week ago. Blockout dates are never a plus, but who wants to go to Disney during the hottest or busiest times, anyway? During the peak seasons the parks get to a point where the crowds take away from the overall experience...that's part of the reason why my last Disney visit was such a stressful experience(well, that and the ADR and MM+, but that's another story) so hopefully this change works in a way that benefits both Disney and guests. And yes, Disney continues to be very expensive, but I can see the silver and weekday select passes opening doors for people who might have otherwise not been able to afford Disney's APs prior to the changes.

Both Disney and Universal should follow SeaWorld's example and just setup automatic renewals on AP's and lock people into their rate they got when they signed up. I've had a Busch Platinum Passport for YEARS now, and I pay a little over $10 a month because that was the cost when I bought it.

Reactions: anihilnation
Both Disney and Universal should follow SeaWorld's example and just setup automatic renewals on AP's and lock people into their rate they got when they signed up. I've had a Busch Platinum Passport for YEARS now, and I pay a little over $10 a month because that was the cost when I bought it.
But then how do they make all the moneies...? ;)

No, really I agree. The original price you pay to get into the park, even if a minimal payment because you have been LOYAL to the company, doesn't matter all that much. Once you are in the doors, especially if you feel you got a good deal, you will spend money. This myth that Passholders don't spend money is insane. Many passholders actually spend much more than those who come for just a week, it's just over an extended period of time, so Comcast and Disney want a larger down payment (which really is just extra money to help pad the quarterly earnings).

Disney's prices have grown to insane greedy levels though, even compared to just 5 years ago (when the regular AP was under $400).

Haven't posted in a long time but this thread is bringing me out. My Disney passes expired about a year and a month ago, and I haven't been since then until very recently. The first passes I got were the seasonal pass because I couldn't afford the next step up. I also lived a couple hours away so only went once every few months and made it a point to get a "cheap" hotel room on property. Now I live in Tampa, but my budget is a bit tighter. I'm a student, and rely heavily on financial aid. I don't get outside support, and have my own apartment with my wife.

I very much understand why there are a lot of upset people. Price increases suck for a product that hasn't changed much. But I'm sure there are more people like me that could only afford the lowest tiered passes, and this is big for them.
people are upset becaus disney hasnt opened a new ride in over a year and the next thing to come out is an overlay/new frozen ride that is suppose to open at the end of 2016 and Disney raised ticket prices twice this year if universal did that they would get hate from everyone but because its Disney people are shrugging this off when they shouldn't stand for it

For our upcoming trips we are not getting Disney APs this time, it's cheaper to get free dining, memory maker, and a big resort discount buying a package.

For our UOR tickets the benefits of the APs make it a no brainer and we'll be getting them.

I'm in the same boat as a college student that tries to have fun while living within a budget. My initial reaction to the change in structure was a total knee-jerk and I did get the urge to bash Disney for it but after actually looking at the prices and benefits, the Silver pass is completely fair. The Gold pass is a bit pricey for me personally, but aside from the blockout dates it's not that different from what they offered a week ago. Blockout dates are never a plus, but who wants to go to Disney during the hottest or busiest times, anyway? During the peak seasons the parks get to a point where the crowds take away from the overall experience...that's part of the reason why my last Disney visit was such a stressful experience(well, that and the ADR and MM+, but that's another story) so hopefully this change works in a way that benefits both Disney and guests. And yes, Disney continues to be very expensive, but I can see the silver and weekday select passes opening doors for people who might have otherwise not been able to afford Disney's APs prior to the changes.

The gold is pretty much what I paid in March for my annual and it trades blackout days 2 weeks during Christmas and 2 weeks during Spring Break for Photopass downloads. I actually don't think that is too bad. I would rather have free photopass downloads year round than go the 4 busiest weeks of the year.

people are upset becaus disney hasnt opened a new ride in over a year and the next thing to come out is an overlay/new frozen ride that is suppose to open at the end of 2016 and Disney raised ticket prices twice this year if universal did that they would get hate from everyone but because its Disney people are shrugging this off when they shouldn't stand for it

I agree. Disney should be ashamed for not opening new stuff often enough. But the one issue is that their fanbase doesn't want the old stuff to go away. They play to their market very well.

But keep in mind, when Universal was not adding new thing (pre-Harry Potter) they also raised their prices. Nothing is going to stop these parks from raising their prices. Universal is just going insane right now, making Disney look very bad. But their fanbase doesn't really care. Anyone that I talk to that has annual passes for Disney could care less they have not opened stuff. When I say they should try Universal because of XYZ new things, they go, maybe one day. When they do try half of them are not impressed. The great thing about humans is we are all different and that no one product is going to get everyone to like them. It allows many different types of business succeed. Disney and Universal have and will always be very different products and attract very different people. But it doesn't make the other side wrong. Just different.

I guess because I like both, I can see both sides. I am the odd one :)

Last edited:
I guess it goes back to what I said when the 1st price jump happened this year. If you wanna raise prices, then go ahead; but don't cut back on your offerings.

The Annual Pass costs more now with less offerings than 2 years when at least DHS had more attractions and DisneyQuest wasn't closing down in a few months.

Disneyland's price hike... I don't even know what the hell..... :lol:

Reactions: Clive and Ultranel