Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think they're sturdier than people are giving them credit for... these won't be small 10 person pods. Think something bigger than the old Kong aerial trams.

And if anything it'll be like the ferry boats at MK when there's strong winds. The buses take over if the monorail is down.

Or the boats going down at citiwalk if you're staying somewhere that's pretty far away walking like portofino or sapphire. You just take the resort bus.

I guess this is cheaper?

Not sure how they intend to do this though considering the weather. What happens when its mid-flight and an afternoon storm appears out of nowhere?

These can withstand high winds and only the more intense storms hit this level (the front-variety that are usually detectable far in advance). I was on a lift in Vail's back bowls a few weeks ago with some crazy wind and felt completely safe.

You know looking at that map it's not direct between the parks so I wonder how long it would take to park hop on this.

Not even that high. This route will be clear of trees because they need access in case they need to evacuate the gondolas. I heard it will have a gravel road next to the line to facilitate that.

Well they already have that platform truck they recently got for monorail evacuations so I guess it could be used here as well.

Reactions: Joel
Not even that high. This route will be clear of trees because they need access in case they need to evacuate the gondolas. I heard it will have a gravel road next to the line to facilitate that.

If that is the case, they may only need to be ten feet off the ground, right? Maybe a little higher? If they are clearing a path, the least expensive method (and way easier to offload for an emergency) would be to keep it low and that would help with exposure to wind and lightning.

If that is the case, they may only need to be ten feet off the ground, right? Maybe a little higher? If they are clearing a path, the least expensive method (and way easier to offload for an emergency) would be to keep it low and that would help with exposure to wind and lightning.

Bare minimum over roads is 14 ft and some change. And that is the bottom of the gondola. At 10 ft, semis will be running into them. I wouldn't think they'd want bare minimums either in case they had anything tall they needed to bring through. Not to mention, the one plan showed it going into epcot over pavilions. If that is true, it'll be higher still. While I'm not expecting it to be 50 ft in the air, I think 25 ft to the bottom of the gondola is a fair guess. I guess variable heights are possible. How it negotiates around the parks and hotels will have an effect too.

Reactions: natespf and SkiBum
I'm still not sure this is a gondola. It could be a funicular just as easily designed to look like a monorail but with a fraction of the cost.

Either way, this jogged my memory of being told by one of my insiders there was a new transportation system coming and it was supposed to have been announced at D23. He couldn't say anything about it, but he said it was something unexpected. I'll have to ask if he can tell me more now...

Reactions: JoeCamel
I heard a rumor a while back that It would be a good idea for universal to add monorails. Is that still up for discussion? Sorry it's off topic, but I remembered talk about unievrsal getting a WDW transportation system.

Apparently this system has designs to connect to AK in future Stage 2 plans....but we all know how those Stage 2 plans go

Reactions: Joel