Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Monorails are generally frowned upon because of Maintenance usually. However, there are other separate and at grade transit options available for the resorts besides Monorail. Disney and Universal both know this.

Reactions: natespf
Monorails are generally frowned upon because of Maintenance usually. However, there are other separate and at grade transit options available for the resorts besides Monorail. Disney and Universal both know this.
What?! Monorails reduced need for maintenance is one of their big selling points.

Then why are majority of newer systems light rail? Monorail costs for maintenance are expensive for small budgets
Light rail needs continuos ongoing track maintenance to ensure the rails remain properly aligned and in good condition. Many monorail beams in various systems have remained virtually untouched for decades with no real issues. As for the vehicles most systems on them are the same wether it be light rail or monorail so no real difference there. As for cost light rail is less expensive because it's typically an at grade system, they simply tear up the road and throw down some standard track. If your building an above grade system monorail is actually cheaper since the first step is to build what is equivelant to multiple monorail beams to create a base to build light rail on.

Is it maintenance or the initial build cost?
From what I understand I believe Maintenance. Many municipalities can not afford the ongoing requirement of maintaining the costs.
Is why Light rail, and even Maglev rails are being built across the world now. Heavy rail especially elevated along with monorail costs skyrocket for municipalities to handle on their own. The federal funded ones anyway. Privately funded, no idea but I imagine those numbers get thrown around before construction anyhow.

From what I understand I believe Maintenance. Many municipalities can not afford the ongoing requirement of maintaining the costs.
Is why Light rail, and even Maglev rails are being built across the world now. Heavy rail especially elevated along with monorail costs skyrocket for municipalities to handle on their own. The federal funded ones anyway. Privately funded, no idea but I imagine those numbers get thrown around before construction anyhow.
You do know monorail isn't considered heavy rail right? Technically it's actually light rail.

Also would you care to explain why monorails supposedly cost more to maintain, because every example I've ever read about monorails are cheaper to maintain.

Last edited:
You do know monorail isn't considered heavy rail right? Technically it's actually light rail.

Also would you care to explain why monorails supposedly cost more to maintain, because every example I've ever read about monorails are cheaper to maintain.
Not once did I ever say Monorail and heavy rail were the same thing.

I'd expect similar queues to what happens with Friendship Boats.

The Gondolas/Cable cars across the River Thames always have a queue, and they don't really go between anywhere that interesting, and also cost £6gbp per person, each way.

As I was saying for costs. Light rail can be cheaper to build maintain because it usually doesnt operate for a profit. Monorail however does. This is where ridership projections, demographics, and cost to ride alog with revenue play a part in deciding which options is more viable. Disney Operates is monorail for free right? Monorails aren't designed for that usually. There are instances where Monorail is successful but not very many for transit for the public. Light rail on the other hand can be cheaper when talking about where it's going, adding new stations, tracks, trains, etc. Long term is what I'm looking at. Both systems can cost about the same $ per mile to build but that of course depends on elevation and right of way. But when you want to expand on light rail transit , stations are cheaper, trains are usually cheaper to order and have built (Alot of light rail carts go from city to city sometime) and the technology for light rail is multi functional. It can interact at grade with traffic, used as a BRT, used as trolley's, etc.

I Dont remember how we got on subject but it doesnt seem to be financially feasible for theme parks to build monorail transit options.

Believe me, I'd much rather see monorail lines get built, but not at the cost of it costing a company more to operate and maintain if they are offering it as a free mode of transit.

As I was saying for costs. Light rail can be cheaper to build maintain because it usually doesnt operate for a profit. Monorail however does. This is where ridership projections, demographics, and cost to ride alog with revenue play a part in deciding which options is more viable. Disney Operates is monorail for free right? Monorails aren't designed for that usually. There are instances where Monorail is successful but not very many for transit for the public. Light rail on the other hand can be cheaper when talking about where it's going, adding new stations, tracks, trains, etc. Long term is what I'm looking at. Both systems can cost about the same $ per mile to build but that of course depends on elevation and right of way. But when you want to expand on light rail transit , stations are cheaper, trains are usually cheaper to order and have built (Alot of light rail carts go from city to city sometime) and the technology for light rail is multi functional. It can interact at grade with traffic, used as a BRT, used as trolley's, etc.

I Dont remember how we got on subject but it doesnt seem to be financially feasible for theme parks to build monorail transit options.
Yeah I don't disagree Monorail's are more expensive to build, however it's worth pointing out they're one of the cheapest ways to build elevated transportation. This is why they're so popular in Japan and other areas where they are building elevated transportation. The idea that monorails cost more to maintain is simply ridiculous, you won't find any evidence to back that up.

Getting back on subject, gondolas are probably one of the few elevated transit systems that cost less than monorails so it does make sense for Disney to go for that option.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn