Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

I'm hearing that the gondola system will be operated by Reedy Creek (just like the DS parking garages). I just wonder when Reedy Creek will take over all of the Disney Transportation system...
I've always thought it would be a good idea for Disney to sell the monorail system to RCID.

I thought Disney founded Reedy Creek? Aren't they one in the same?

Reedy Creek is the infrastructure and collects fees (lots!) from TWDC but they are quasi independent so they can interact with the state and feds for permitting, grants etc. It is cozy but not the same.

Yeah they are technically a completely independent public government, they just essentially only have one voter who obviously has a lot of influence. There are some trade offs with RCID owning and operating something that Disney utilizes. For example they lose a little control, it's not Disney's property anymore and the public has a right to use that public property. Many of the private property rules Disney tends to fall back on don't apply. The RCID seems to have very good funding though if you notice everything they build from building, roads, sidewalks to the new parking garage is really top notch.

Yeah they are technically a completely independent public government, they just essentially only have one voter who obviously has a lot of influence. There are some trade offs with RCID owning and operating something that Disney utilizes. For example they lose a little control, it's not Disney's property anymore and the public has a right to use that public property. Many of the private property rules Disney tends to fall back on don't apply. The RCID seems to have very good funding though if you notice everything they build from building, roads, sidewalks to the new parking garage is really top notch.
It also removes a lot of infrastructure from the tax rolls so TWDC gets some savings but that is offset by having to pay district fees for other improvements. RCID can bond for the improvements as well which is a low cost loan.

My point is that the one in London doesn't go anywhere interesting, and always has a queue. The queues for these will be long, because they are going to places where people want to go, aka somewhere interesting :).

I didn't mean at all about it being an experience. It is deffo functional, and people will use them, a lot. The loading and unloading will be a ops nightmare, people won't be ready to jump on the moving gondola, and they'll be backed up regularly waiting for people who havent folder a buggy etc.

The gondolas will be quick to load and the lines will not be long. When you can move a bus full of people every 5 minutes, it will be fine. They move slow enough in the station for everyone to load.

I can't see them using a system where the gondolas don't stop. It only makes sense to have a system where the cars can uncouple from the cable for loading and unloading. Then when ready, it grabs the cable and off it goes. That way they can account for handicap or older riders. They can also add additional cars wherever they want as long as the system can handle it.

There is the possibility of having these offloaded but it's a very rare occurrence when it would be needed. There is no securing of mobility devices so it's drive on drive off.

I just wonder how they power air conditioning that will be strong enough to keep those little greenhouses cool in the summer sun.

No air conditioning. Very well ventilated and they'll be in constant motion.

It would cause frustration, but I could imagine Chair and Scooter users being asked to use the bus transport.

No bus transport for these lines after installation.

The gondolas will be quick to load and the lines will not be long. When you can move a bus full of people every 5 minutes, it will be fine. They move slow enough in the station for everyone to load.

There is the possibility of having these offloaded but it's a very rare occurrence when it would be needed. There is no securing of mobility devices so it's drive on drive off.

I bet they still have buses, at least during inclement weather.

No air conditioning?! I was imagining this as some of the more modern glass enclosed types like everyone has posted photos of. With no AC this would need to be an open air type thing like the old Skyway ride.

I thought the WWII Japanese hot boxes for captured war prisoners were outlawed by the International War Conventions. ;)

Last edited:
No air conditioning?! I was imagining this as some of the more modern glass enclosed types like everyone has posted photos of. With no AC this would need to be an open air type thing like the old Skyway ride.
I think they will have solar tint windows and maybe a sunshield on top in addition to the vents top and bottom and maybe a fan to circulate. Will be moving 12 mph or so. Better than the friendship boats and the ride will be shorter

There will ALWAYS be bus transportation as backup and there will have to be for those who have fear of heights and other issues. They run buses for resorts on the monorail line most of the time.

I think they will have solar tint windows and maybe a sunshield on top in addition to the vents top and bottom and maybe a fan to circulate. Will be moving 12 mph or so. Better than the friendship boats and the ride will be shorter

I wonder if a Kong-esque style of battery charging, where the gondola carriage is charging as it's slowly moving through the stations. This would allow for the onboard audio messages that Disney loves, as well as AC.

I wonder if a Kong-esque style of battery charging, where the gondola carriage is charging as it's slowly moving through the stations. This would allow for the onboard audio messages that Disney loves, as well as AC.
I don't know. The amount of AC that's needed for all glass vehicles that have doors that continually open and close is huge.

There is a system that would use ultra caps and add AC already offered by the manufacturer but it adds significantly to the cost per vehicle. My understanding is the decision has been made and there won't be AC

There is a system that would use ultra caps and add AC already offered by the manufacturer but it adds significantly to the cost per vehicle. My understanding is the decision has been made and there won't be AC
Well it will be interesting to see if that works. I've seen the AC go out in the monorails and the guests remove the emergency windows to get extra ventilation. Hopefully something like that won't be a common occurrence with these.

I don't think there's a single solution. Bus lanes seem to be working their way down Buena Vista Dr and other indicators (job postings) suggest other options coming online as well.

Is a gondola system cheaper than just adding bus-only roads? I would think dedicated roads for buses will be the cheapest solution..
Cheaper by a bunch. As @epcyclopedia posted they need multiple ways to get people between DHS and EPCOT and the roads just can't hold all the buses in addition to the cost and pollution that comes along with them

These guys track all things lift and have plenty of info and links to get the details