Disney's NextGen Initiative | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's NextGen Initiative

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Shopping habits possibly.

I have a feeling one of the pieces of information they will need from guests will be a phone number and based on how you walk around the park or shop or whatever they will push specials and offers through text to a cell phone to entice people to walk in a shop.

Lets say you're walking down main street, and you're almost to the hub, the rfid scanners in the park pick that up and send you a text message for a coffee and danish special at the bakery...or walking around world showcase and a new beer is being served in Germany, you'll get a text to come and sample the new beer and buy it...

Things like this is what I feel like is going to happen with all this "innovation".....and it sucks!

Some of the "fun stuff" that will happen I think for example is getting on Haunted Mansion the Ghost Host instead of saying "Welcome Foolish Mortals"....we'll get a "Welcome (your name) to the Haunted Mansion"... things like that.
That would get ridiculously annoying.

Like Next Big Thing said, it would be like getting spam and other annoying ads just because you went to some website just one time.

Next thing you know, Disney will be working to turn on people's bedside radios while they sleep and softly play Disney ads so they can be absorbed subliminally. :look:

The whole thing would be a lot more palatable if it was done in the shadows of real resort-wide improvements.

Then Disney would have nothing left to promote. I'm still wondering why they didn't hold a press conference for the new stroller parking by Jungle Cruise. :bonk:

I think turnstile-less entry is a huge deal. Get rid of all the security check points as they currently are, and place them where the turnstiles are now. Add in the RFID scanners, and tada, near effortless entry. It's rather brilliant. Save a lot on maintenance, CMs, and de-clutter problem areas (see MK entryway).

I still don't think we've seen all of the NexGen iceberg yet....

Please be our guest and explain :look:

I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Please be our guest and explain :look:

I think he means the price tag will seem more reasonable if the turnstyle/security booths are eliminated or minimized due to this upgrade as well as possible interactive elements in rides like Haunted Mansion etc. The neat, working parts. Not so much the ad-heavy speculation.

Oh, this is going to be a fun one...

<<Success or failure? I can't even explain what NGE is in 25 words or less!>>

I can: Prioritizing resort guests to detriment of off-site and local guests by upselling to a "premium" experience that was previously free

That was 21. :)

The plan has always been to roll this out to DLR and DLP. DLR has always been a tough sell as it has fewer resort rooms but TDA seems to have come around to the idea....unsurprising considering the incredibly rosy profit outlook that Nick Franklin has presented to ExCom.

<<Do you think the profit outlook is in anyway realistic?>>

It isn't - unfortunately this is the lunatics running the asylum. You have the entire project being run by a EVP who has never successfully executed a single project - not even the opening of an envelope. The guy got the gig solely because he was Jay's room mate at college (you couldn't make this stuff up). So instead of pulling the best and brightest from inside the company he decides to effectively hand over the entire reins of NGE to the consultants.

I didn't particularly like Franklin when he butchered NBD (after all this is the exec that failed to notice that a hotel in Sydney he was bullish about had to no access points!) and I had hoped the NGE would just be a pipe dream - particularly once his sole champion (Jay) got shoved out of WDP&R because TOS needed operational experience.

Now WDW Co. has effectively bet the house on NGE. I'm worried that guests will balk at the notion of having to pay to premiumize (the new favorite term) their vacation experience.

Yea...this could be a disaster.

What's even the whole point of this project? The whole idea just seems terrible, let the alone the amount of ridiculous money dumped into this.