1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Dollywood!

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Theme Parks' started by TheDecemberists, Aug 11, 2009.

1. OLSinFLA

OLSinFLA Member

2. bob albert

bob albert Veteran Member

https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSReports/National Reports/Annual Park Ranking Report (1979 - Last Calendar Year)Just to give you an idea of how big of a tourist draw the region is, the smoky mountain national park is the most visited national park in the country. Yes it is a bigger draw than the grand canyon, in fact by a lot. Dollywood has still under 3 million visitors a year for being a most of the year open park. The growth potential is enormous and I am sure they will build out much more to take advantage of this and have built a lot with that in mind already. I think that with investments in the region and dollywood it will get up there in name recognition they could easily surpass most regional parks, which max out for 2015 at 3.6 million for Canada's wonderland . The fact that they can maintain such a level of in park entertainment at that level of attendance is really remarkable considering they have a good slate of rides now. I think a lot of people who value a well rounded experience would appreciate Dollywood while disney builds the new attractions. I think dollywood is in a position to be the new BGW and more.

Mad Dog likes this.
  3. Galaxy Defender

Galaxy Defender Premium Member

Everyone I know that has been to Dollywood has had only positive things to say about it.

4. kingcooger

kingcooger Member

Add me to that list. My only complaint was the botched opening of their latest coaster as I was hoping to get in a few rides on it, beyond that the park is fantastic.

graspthesun likes this.
  5. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

BGW was a great park when the Busch family ran it. Really good entertainment shows and streetmosphere characters. And then the In Bev and Blackstone owners destroyed the park's theme and ambiance. Credo to Dollywood for staying on course and resisting the temptation to trash the live entertainment sector.

6. kingcooger

kingcooger Member

Speaking of BGW, I like that they added the Musketeers show and wonder if that came from Manby (former head of Dollywood and SDC) since he is used to running such show/local oriented parks?

7. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Maybe. I know they fired the BGW Exec. who slashed all the entertainment previously.

8. Galaxy Defender

Galaxy Defender Premium Member

Now if only that could happen to some WDW execs.

No offense to any current or former theme park execs that might be reading this. ;):wave:

9. kimlovesfl

kimlovesfl Rookie

True, but they aren't like the rides here in Orlando, more traditional amusement park rides, instead of theme park rides. There's nothing like Transformers, Pirates, Gringott's, Jungle Cruise, etc. Doesn't make the park any less fun, because I love those traditional kind of parks.

10. bob albert

It turns out I will be heading to Dollywood as a side trip for some business for the Christmas event in early December. I noticed hotels are really filling up even for an early weekend. I got a pretty good air bnb deal. I'll let you guys know how it is. They added a night time parade this year I read.

Oh and the Busch Gardens entertainment guy I could tell a few stories about. He was a genuine a-hole. He made performers cry over things that weren't their fault and everyone hated him from the management to passholders. I have no idea how he got into such a position. The dude actively purged any entertainment not attached to his name. Maybe the Blackstone people wanted to hire someone that they knew could be a scapegoat for cuts. Many people were hoping the Dollywood folks would buy Busch Gardens and bring back more quality entertainment.

Mad Dog likes this.
  11. cwgator

cwgator Member

Dollywood 2017:
    New in 2017

Whistle Punk Chaser will be a Zamperla Gravity Coaster. Silver Dollar City has one for reference:
    https://rcdb.com/3401.htm

12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Yeah, I quit going to BGW after he gutted the entertainment and the Blackstone purchase. And that was my " go to" theme park up to that time. Universal Orlando gets the bulk of my money now, plus some to WDW.

13. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

I've had flights booked, hotel booked, and park tickets purchased for months now but every time I go on Dollywood.com to do some trip planning, I see a notice that Lightning Rod is closed. Am I even going to be able to ride this thing?

14. bob albert

Who knows if lightning rod will be open. I heard they might just be calling it closed even if it opens randomly during the day. It's probably a crap shoot.

15. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

I'll be there at the end of the month. Here's hoping.

16. bob albert

I no longer see the note about Lightning Rod being closed on the website anymore at least from my computer. A disappointing note for me is the parade isn't open until the 16th.

The good news is Dollywood has a promotion for a Christmas free with a 2017 season pass. I had assumed their passes were all 12 months from the date of activation. The gold benefits are pretty good. There's a good chance I could bring a few friends or family at some point in the next year.

17. cwgator

cwgator Member

18. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Yeah, the days I saw it closed on the site were 11/1 and 11/2. Looks like people are having better luck on the weekends.

19. darkridelover

darkridelover Premium Member

I'm in line for Lightning Rod right now!!! Can't wait!

Mad Dog likes this.
  20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Enjoy you experience. :thumbsup: