1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Dollywood!

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Theme Parks' started by TheDecemberists, Aug 11, 2009.

1. SkiBum

SkiBum Member

Didn't know that. Basically, I would bring in a company with a proven track record with their launch systems and make this thing work. Nothing is worse than arriving at a park and seeing a sign stating that one of the primary rides is down for maintenance. Yes, there are other rides but, when it is an anchor ride, it is irritating.

Mad Dog likes this.
  2. Donald Razorduck

Donald Razorduck Rookie

Power Keg at DDC is finicky as all get out. It has to do with the way it lifts upto the launch portion and moisture causing slippage. Seriously, it has seemed to be down about half of my visits over 10 years.
    When it's running, it's right as rain. But...they haven't yanked it. It did start out as a water coaster from Premier before S&S converted it to a launch coaster with no water. I can't imagine it ever running if that was the case and why the art showes a slash effect that never happened.

3. P@n!K_Sw1tC#

P@n!K_Sw1tC# Member

That was one of the huge variables back when they announced the ride, Dollywood and RMC admitted that they went with a supplier that had never installed a magnetic propulsion system on a theme park ride before. It would have been better to go with a proven winner, especially given how frequently that launch field needs to be fired up to operate the attraction. Probably would have been more expensive on the front end, but I'm certain that they wouldn't be having the issues they have with downtime had they invested more in the beginning.

SkiBum likes this.
  4. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

New, The Island, photos from Pigeon Forge were just posted on An Epic Adventure-A Live & Interactive Trip Report thread. The CitiWalk type area looks really beautiful :thumbsup:.....Also rafting down the Pigeon River (Creek?).

5. P@n!K_Sw1tC#

P@n!K_Sw1tC# Member

^Respectfully, this thread is about Dollywood. And speaking of, I expect Dragonfly to be a sleeper hit next year - don't overlook that coaster just because it's a clone of something in Europe. I hear these little rides kick some major booty.

6. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Except more people have been turned away from it than have been able to ride it so.. not sure that helped.

Mad Dog likes this.
  7. SkiBum

SkiBum Member

Further, they can't add big coasters all the time. Dragonfly and that whole area sounds like a nice area to relax and walk. For me, I really enjoy parks that provide places to slow down a little. Then, I can rev back up after taking it easy.

My main concern with Lightning Rod is whether or not they cut their losses or continue trying to work with what they have. The lift hill launch on Maverick seems to be highly reliable and would provide a nice fix. Again, I don't know how hard/easy it would be to retrofit the launch fins. I don't know enough about them.

Dollywood's coaster lineup is really nice. Thunderhead is a good wood coaster with a nice layout. Wild Eagle is a good B&M wingrider, which I didn't think existed. Firechaser is a great family coaster that can be enjoyed by anyone. Blazing Fury is a little rough but fun. Tennessee Tornado is, well, an Arrow looper with a great tunnel. Mystery Mine provides a steel themed coaster. Lightning Rod is a great thrill ride from RMC. For a smaller park, that is a lineup that has been rounded out. Dragonfly will continue with that process.

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. cwgator

cwgator Rookie

For anyone wondering about Lightning Rod....No it's not getting torn down.
    As I've said before, it's not the launch that's the issue, as it was quite reliable before they closed it for the current issues. They are having to re-profile a track section due to unintended forces. There are also some issues with the magnetic brake fins.

Here is a report from someone who recently visited the RMC plant in Idaho who spoke to an engineer about this:
    I took a tour of RMC's factory in Idaho - AMA! : rollercoasters