Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 124 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing Gatwick was their "Leisure" hub (Orlando + Caribbean) and Heathrow was the "Business" hub, I wonder if that's an indicator of how they expect things to re-open going forward? Or will they just move everything to Heathrow?

What is missing from the BBC article is also...

The 747's were also the "Leisure" craft serving Orlando until the newer A350-1000's in a different configuration came in.

I'm sure they were meant to be retired already but kept pushing it back.

Seeing Gatwick was their "Leisure" hub (Orlando + Caribbean) and Heathrow was the "Business" hub, I wonder if that's an indicator of how they expect things to re-open going forward? Or will they just move everything to Heathrow?

What is missing from the BBC article is also...

The 747's were also the "Leisure" craft serving Orlando until the newer A350-1000's in a different configuration came in.

Well that will certainly impact Glasgow @Scott W. as they only use the 747 from there just now.

You can also look at The Irishman as a prime example of ballooned budgets. That was a straight drama and it cost $170M (before marketing). The ONLY reason that it cost as much as it did was because Scorsese HAD to cast DeNiro, Pesci and Pachino, which meant using de-aging technologies. And now Scorsese has another straight drama he has already pitched to studios and been turned down by all of them because it is projected to cost $200M. So now of course he went back to try and get some of Netflix's endless supply of money...

Absolutely ludicrous that budgets have gotten so out of hand.

There is no way Netflix can make enough profit out of a single movie to justify spending 200 million on one. No sensible business is getting to fund a 200 million dollar crime drama, when it would be lucky to make a fourth of that budget back.

TV shows like The Mandalorian are showing that you can make things look good without spending 100 million plus on something.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
The Virgin 747 is majestic (I was meant to be on one in 2 days!) whilst there’s more modern aircraft, the pure thrill of a 747 combined with Virgins service made travel on them a joy. I’m sad, obviously, for the job josses, but will miss seeing this plane in the sky.

At this rate, the UK aviation industry is going to be absolutely decimated. Please don’t make me fly BA to get to he states.

The Virgin 747 is majestic (I was meant to be on one in 2 days!) whilst there’s more modern aircraft, the pure thrill of a 747 combined with Virgins service made travel on them a joy. I’m sad, obviously, for the job josses, but will miss seeing this plane in the sky.

At this rate, the UK aviation industry is going to be absolutely decimated. Please don’t make me fly BA to get to he states.

As exciting as being on a 747 was, the planes were long overdue for retirement and the interiors were in bad shape.

I don't mind BA but I don't want to fly TUI even if it is on a dreamliner.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
As exciting as being on a 747 was, the planes were long overdue for retirement and the interiors were in bad shape.

I don't mind BA but I don't want to fly TUI even if it is on a dreamliner.

Went on Virgins Dreamliner to LA & that was a treat.

Had some really awful long haul flights on BA. Tui, although I’ve only sampled short haul, were quite impressive. I’d sooner go TUI to Orlando than BA.

Reactions: Scott W.
Virgin Atlantic was due to retire its last remaining 747's before summer next year, with them closing operation at Gatwick for the time being they can remove all 7 of those planes now and when they resume flights at Gatwick the A350's can be brought into service.

Went on Virgins Dreamliner to LA & that was a treat.

Had some really awful long haul flights on BA. Tui, although I’ve only sampled short haul, were quite impressive. I’d sooner go TUI to Orlando than BA.

I've flew a few times long haul with BA. The a380 is great, especially upstairs on a window seat since you get a massive side cabinet because of the curve. The only bad flight I had with BA long haul was on a 747 before it was updated. It was a like a plane from the 90s.

Here's something of interest:

Virgin Atlantic was due to retire its last remaining 747's before summer next year, with them closing operation at Gatwick for the time being they can remove all 7 of those planes now and when they resume flights at Gatwick the A350's can be brought into service.

They’d recently placed an order for 14 Airbus a330 Neos, so I wonder how this plays in with their fleet reduction plans. Strange time for Virgin, just a few months back they were looking at a massive expansion through Flybe. Now they’ve gone under (which seems very strange) and now they’re reducing their already small(ish) fleet further.

I’d love it if Virgin were more dominant and offered more competition on long haul routes. I’m surprised they’ve struggled so much financially, but I feel their pricing model is strangely off.

I've flew a few times long haul with BA. The a380 is great, especially upstairs on a window seat since you get a massive side cabinet because of the curve. The only bad flight I had with BA long haul was on a 747 before it was updated. It was a like a plane from the 90s.

Here's something of interest:

These battered 747s are still in service. Travelled on one to Africa last winter, and the tv screen was like a grid. The service was so so poor.

• Wow
Reactions: Scott W.
These battered 747s are still in service. Travelled on one to Africa last winter, and the tv screen was like a grid. The service was so so poor.

That's the ones. When I went to the west coast last year, I switched to Virgin flying from Manchester because I didn't want to take the risk being on that plane again. BA said the planes had been upgraded but I wasn't 100% sure. Happy I didn't now.

Having said that, I'd happily fly from Manchester again, it was such an effortless experience. Glasgow is a nightmare. Last time we came in on the 747, it took 90mins before the bags started coming out. Plus the new VIP terminal at Manchester looks pretty good and surprisingly good value:

What really puts me off TUI is going into Sanford which isn't really a big deal but the luggage pricing is ridiculous. You get 20kg as standard but can upgraded to 25kg but no bad can be over 23kg so what's the point? Anything above that costs more again. By the time you get all the add ons like picking your seat, you're just as cheap flying Virgin.

Reactions: UAN17
Hearing from a pretty reputable source that Tenet is definitely releasing in July...no plans of pushing, short of another country wide shutdown.

Reactions: Andysol
That's the ones. When I went to the west coast last year, I switched to Virgin flying from Manchester because I didn't want to take the risk being on that plane again. BA said the planes had been upgraded but I wasn't 100% sure. Happy I didn't now.

Having said that, I'd happily fly from Manchester again, it was such an effortless experience. Glasgow is a nightmare. Last time we came in on the 747, it took 90mins before the bags started coming out. Plus the new VIP terminal at Manchester looks pretty good and surprisingly good value:

What really puts me off TUI is going into Sanford which isn't really a big deal but the luggage pricing is ridiculous. You get 20kg as standard but can upgraded to 25kg but no bad can be over 23kg so what's the point? Anything above that costs more again. By the time you get all the add ons like picking your seat, you're just as cheap flying Virgin.

I find MCO atrocious as an experience, other than that cool little monorail system. LAX was a breeze in comparison for customs and baggage. Maybe I got lucky. But there’s something about MCO which is just part of the tradition now, so it would be hard to move to Sanford.

I just like everything as it is and I want to go. I want to fly on Virgin, to MCO, and go to parks where I don’t have to wash my hands 5000 times. Makes me think I took it all for granted, and now things may never be the same again.

From 2022 they're changing to Melbourne International Airport. Even further away.

Status
Not open for further replies.