Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 221 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The CDC just extended the no sail order for cruises to Oct. 1st.
I'm not personally a fan of cruises, but I do have to wonder what effect their disappearance has had on some of their ports of call and how those places are surviving without cruise visitors.

WDW had an easy exit strategy - they were able to see the current trends and could’ve postponed reopening. Instead they marched on.
Disney effectively lost their ability to postpone when Park Reservations went live. Things went south after that.

I’m shocked, shocked I tells ya.

:yawn:

Nolan has to be royally pissed off. He really wants this to be the first film for theaters, and WB is too afraid to shoulder that burden.
What Theaters are even close to opening?

Like they are going to be the last thing to open basically and we haven't even hit Wave 2 in the fall....I think 2021 will be when AMC opens if they even have the funds to reopen then. But unless the President does some mad law, I can't see movie theaters opening anytime soon

Worth mentioning that The Conjuring 3 got pushed back to June 4th, 2021.

What Theaters are even close to opening?

Like they are going to be the last thing to open basically and we haven't even hit Wave 2 in the fall....I think 2021 will be when AMC opens if they even have the funds to reopen then. But unless the President does some mad law, I can't see movie theaters opening anytime soon
There are theaters open. The Cinemark at Citywalk here in Orlando is. Most open are drive-ins and are showing old movies, with some showing things like Palm Springs, etc. Here was this weekends box office top 5:

1. Beauty and the Beast (2017) - $467K (527 locations)
2. Iron Man - $430K (462 locations)
3. Bohemian Rhapsody - $240K (376 locations)
4. Jurassic Park - $210K (246 locations)
5. Goonies - $202K (138 locations)

Last weekend Empire Strikes Back was at the top:

Disney effectively lost their ability to postpone when Park Reservations went live. Things went south after that.
They still could've pulled the plug. It's not too late until you let guests in the door.

Last edited:
Reactions: RevFreako
Worth mentioning that The Conjuring 3 got pushed back to June 4th, 2021.

There are theaters open. The Cinemark at Citywalk here in Orlando is. Most open are drive-ins and are showing old movies, with some showing things like Palm Springs, etc. Here was this weekends box office top 5:

1. Beauty and the Beast (2017) - $467K (527 locations)
2. Iron Man - $430K (462 locations)
3. Bohemian Rhapsody - $240K (376 locations)
4. Jurassic Park - $210K (246 locations)
5. Goonies - $202K (138 locations)

Last weekend Empire Strikes Back was at the top:

They still could've pulled the plug. It's not too late until you let guests in the door.

Sorry ment more which chains are just open?

Also while great numbers for old movies Tenet needs to make like millions more than that to even break even.
I would refuse to have my movie sent out to die right now, unless your putting it on say Disneyplus but even then your only getting eyes on you not much money.

Sorry ment more which chains are just open?

Also while great numbers for old movies Tenet needs to make like millions more than that to even break even.
I would refuse to have my movie sent out to die right now, unless your putting it on say Disneyplus but even then your only getting eyes on you not much money.
Yes, it needs to make $800M to break even and due to the 2 hour rule China has put in play, they can't even play the movie there.

Called it.

“Selects theaters” likely means local theaters and drive ins. The chains have rules against showing movies that are on POV. Plus I don’t expect most chains to be open anyway.

Reactions: Clive and Grabnar
Big Brother All Stars is confirmed to begin on August 5th, and it is All Stars!!! Should be interesting to see how a live game show production is handled. ALL cast, AND, crew will be quarantined on campus. Everyone has their own/shared trailer, no clue about the host but id imagine so as well for them to have gotten approval. Cast is on location now for their 2 week quarantine for a LIVE move in on August 5th!!!

And for Big Brother fans, everything is rumored, but, Dan and Derrick no longer rumored but its okay, because Daniele Reyes, Dani Donato, Kaysay, Ian, and Janelle are all rumored so we can all be happy!!! An actual strategic season of big brother, first one probably since Dan and Janelle last played! I can't wait!

Reactions: Nick
I didn't think I'd be saying this but I'm actually considering booking a holiday for later in the year, some deals are proving to be incredibly tempting.

All inclusive in Croatia, staying at a Hilton hotel. £550 including flights.

Basically staying in King's Landing.

Mulan officially taken off of Disney’s release schedule. I’m expecting PVOD, but I’ve heard Disney+ is prepared to release it.

Yet The New Mutants is still scheduled for a theatrical release late next month. This whole thing is stupid.

Yet The New Mutants is still scheduled for a theatrical release late next month. This whole thing is stupid.
The New Mutants contractually has to go to theaters and they can’t throw it on Disney+ either bc HBO has the initial streaming rights.

The New Mutants is basically being dumped in theaters to fulfill contract and then they can put it on PVOD.

Reactions: RevFreako
The New Mutants contractually has to go to theaters and they can’t throw it on Disney+ either bc HBO has the initial streaming rights.

The New Mutants is basically being dumped in theaters to fulfill contract and then they can put it on PVOD.

Food for thought--could they do something similar to Trolls and B&T, and dual-release it with rental for PVOD services?

Disney also moved back 20th Century’s The Last Duel back 10 months to 10/15/21 and The French Dispatch has been taken off of the calendar completely.

I had listed both of those as potential awards contenders for this year, so that’s disappointing.

Food for thought--could they do something similar to Trolls and B&T, and dual-release it with rental for PVOD services?

There is no dual release if they plan on playing in any major theater. The National Association of Theater Owners (NATO), which represents the large theaters, has consistently stated that any movie that is on VOD will not be allowed to play in theaters.

I expect Disney to pull it before the 90-day window, however, Bc the real money with this movie is from PVOD.

I'm surprised they've still kept the dates for New Mutants and David Copperfield. 1. Why would they want two of their own films competing against each other in an environment where both films would be making little money anyway? 2. If August 21st isn't happening, then what makes Disney think August 28th will happen?

As for Mulan and French Dispatch, I think Mulan would be pretty safe in October with French Dispatch taking over The Last Duel's prestige date.

Status
Not open for further replies.