Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than all out anarchy, what are people going to do outside of their houses exactly if everything remains closed and due to executive orders and legally cannot open? And if the virus hasn't actually cleared up like we would like it to, then the parks can't responsibly open.

Things are going to change very quickly if the majority of the economy collapses. At some point, a decision is going to be made about whether we value short term lives of those susceptible to the virus or the long-term health of the country. I realize that sounds ghoulish - it is. And I'm not supporting or endorsing having to make that call, but that is what will happen once it becomes clear the alternative is a dysfunctional government collapsing in on itself and, yes, anarchy. When people lose their jobs, can't pay their rent, and are still being told to stay indoors indefinitely, they will... not obey. We're already seeing it now in the groups refusing to social distance. The only alternative is an actual safety net is enacted before April 1st, which still won't work indefinitely, but will buy people time - they'll start treating it like a home vacation instead of an anxiety incubator.

I don't think people are realizing how massively things are going to fall apart if nothing is done by April 1st. It's telling that Disneyland still seems to quietly be standing by its estimation to reopen its hotels (and presumably its parks) by April 19.

Things are going to change very quickly if the majority of the economy collapses. At some point, a decision is going to be made about whether we value short term lives of those susceptible to the virus or the long-term health of the country. I realize that sounds ghoulish - it is. And I'm not supporting or endorsing having to make that call, but that is what will happen once it becomes clear the alternative is a dysfunctional government collapsing in on itself and, yes, anarchy. When people lose their jobs, can't pay their rent, and are still being told to stay indoors indefinitely, they will... not obey. We're already seeing it now in the groups refusing to social distance. The only alternative is an actual safety net is enacted before April 1st, which still won't work indefinitely, but will buy people time - they'll start treating it like a home vacation instead of an anxiety incubator.

I don't think people are realizing how massively things are going to fall apart if nothing is done by April 1st. It's telling that Disneyland still seems to quietly be standing by its estimation to reopen its hotels (and presumably its parks) by April 19.
Man that is too much like HHN. MId June we are back up and running.

if trump, andrew yang and bernie can work out the monthly 2000 dollar checks per person, this will go for long but people might be happy to stay home with the money given

if trump, andrew yang and bernie can work out the monthly 2000 dollar checks per person, this will go for long but people might be happy to stay home with the money given
Nobody is getting $2000 checks.

If you made $75,000 in 2018, you'll get $1,200 and $500 per child. It's a bit lower over $75K. For every $100 an individual earns over $75,000, $5 is deducted from their stimulus check -- until the $99,000 mark is reached, at which point the $1,200 is totally gone. A married couple that makes $150K or lower will receive $2,400. The poorest will receive the least amount for some strange reason.

Bottom line: It's not enough. If you live in LA or NYC, $1,200 almost definitely won't even cover rent, never mind anything else.

$2,000 checks per person won't do anything for the businesses that are making little or no money during this. If those fold, people are still going to be out of jobs. All they are offering for small businesses so far are loans which just add overhead. They need to do something to ease individual concerns and make sure they have jobs after this is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
At some point, a decision is going to be made about whether we value short term lives of those susceptible to the virus or the long-term health of the country.
The long-term health of this country (economic and otherwise) is going to take a huge hit even if we let the “susceptible” ones die because literally everyone is susceptible. Healthy people in their 20s are dying too. Italy reported 793 deaths in a single day, and the way things are trending, they’ll surpass that tomorrow. And they’ll surpass that number the next day. They’re outpacing China right now with no sign that things are slowing down. No healthcare system on this planet is equipped to prepare for that kind of volume. Part of the reason so many people are dying in Italy is because the hospitals can’t keep up. Between the amount of people dying, and the amount of money they’re spending to try and prevent people from dying, they are facing a complete and total collapse as a country, no exaggeration.

Translate that experience here. Thousands of people dying per day, hospitals being overrun and unable to treat people quickly enough. Our healthcare system would implode. The reverberations from that would hit other aspects of life and the economy, not to mention the insane death toll that would arise. Seriously, everyone should read that Imperial College study. Our economy is taking a major hit regardless. Our current plan is the only one that mitigates the long term fallout.

The long-term health of this country (economic and otherwise) is going to take a huge hit even if we let the “susceptible” ones die because literally everyone is susceptible. Healthy people in their 20s are dying too. Italy reported 793 deaths in a single day, and the way things are trending, they’ll surpass that tomorrow. And they’ll surpass that number the next day. They’re outpacing China right now with no sign that things are slowing down. No healthcare system on this planet is equipped to prepare for that kind of volume. Part of the reason so many people are dying in Italy is because the hospitals can’t keep up. Between the amount of people dying, and the amount of money they’re spending to try and prevent people from dying, they are facing a complete and total collapse as a country, no exaggeration.

Translate that experience here. Thousands of people dying per day, hospitals being overrun and unable to treat people quickly enough. Our healthcare system would implode. The reverberations from that would hit other aspects of life and the economy, not to mention the insane death toll that would arise. Seriously, everyone should read that Imperial College study. Our economy is taking a major hit regardless. Our current plan is the only one that mitigates the long term fallout.

Everything you're saying is for the most part true, but it won't matter if there is no substantial stimulus package that protects people who are about to lose everything. Once people have nothing to lose, the wind will shift.

We’re still relating what’s happening in Italy as what will happen in the states?

We aren’t Italy. I highly doubt we get anywhere close to what they’re experiencing per capita. Maybe pockets like NYC, but not nationwide at scale like they are.

Reactions: Clive
We’re still relating what’s happening in Italy as what will happen in the states?

We aren’t Italy. I highly doubt we get anywhere close to what they’re experiencing per capita. Maybe pockets like NYC, but not nationwide at scale like they are.

thats the important thing, it will vary from state to state, but some states could get as bad

Reactions: Andysol

New York State is the only state actually testing at an acceptable rate. Above China and South Korea per capital. For all we know, there are many, many other pockets like that around the US, but there isn’t any testing to confirm it. When my mom got sent home from the hospital today, the diagnosis was “unspecified lung issue” they did lots of testing and found no matches to anything. They also didn’t rule out a mild case of corona. But it’s impossible to know because to get tested for COVID in Florida, the doctor said you have to basically be “on deaths door”.

And we are catching up to Italy fast. We’ve gone from being on a schedule that’s been consistently 10 days behind them to now running at only 5-6 days behind. Just 10 days ago, the NBA was still playing games and the world was normal. We only had 1,200 cases and <40 deaths. Now we have 27,000 cases and 348 deaths. There also has not yet been a single day yet where there has been less cases than the day before it and we still aren’t testing all that well. Of course we're still running 10 days behind of when it actually started to skyrocket in both countries though, which is the worrying thing about where we are right now.

We may not be Italy, as they have a pretty old population, but I also don’t see proof that we may not be worse. Without proper testing, it’s honestly hard to know.

Last edited:
New York State is the only state actually testing at an acceptable rate. Above China and South Korea per capital. For all we know, there are many, many other pockets like that around the US, but there isn’t any testing to confirm it. When my mom got sent home from the hospital today, the diagnosis was “unspecified lung issue” they did lots of testing and found no matches to anything. They also didn’t rule out a mild case of corona. But it’s impossible to know because to get tested in Florida, the doctor said you have to basically be “on deaths door”.
I wonder who is being sent to drive through testing then? Surely those people are not driving around seriously ill/coughing up a lung?

In a case of someone who absolutely does NOT intend on closing, we have Gamestop. They are classifying themselves as an "essential business" wtf.

Update to this... GameStop had its business license taken away in PA. Shortly after they decided to close all stores in the US, and reportedly pay their employees for two weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol and Nick
I wonder who is being sent to drive through testing then? Surely those people are not driving around seriously ill/coughing up a lung?
the news said
- Over 60 years- had contact with infected person- traveled out of the country- has severe symptoms,
something like that. younger people might not get tested i think, unless they were in contact or they were out of the country.

Update to this...

GameStop had its business license taken away in PA. Shortly after they decided to close all stores in the US, and reportedly pay their employees for two weeks.
This is proof that businesses aren't going to be allowed to just do whatever they want while this virus is still spreading. Things aren't just going to reopen like a lot of you are suggesting because the bottom lines need them to. Until we are in a better situation, the government may not allow them to open.

This is proof that businesses aren't going to be allowed to just do whatever they want while this virus is still spreading. Things aren't just going to reopen like a lot of you are suggesting because the bottom lines need them to. Until we are in a better situation, the government may not allow them to open.

if stores or even the parks open, i predict that they will slowly open to very very tiny limited guest numbers, and probably small, tiny groups of workers to work.
stores might have to do something like " 1 family at a time" per store or business

Aulani is closing on Tuesday:

if stores or even the parks open, i predict that they will slowly open to very very tiny limited guest numbers, and probably small, tiny groups of workers to work.
stores might have to do something like " 1 family at a time" per store or business
Yes, even when things open, things will not be the same for quite awhile. And man, if malls weren't on the edge of extinction before this began, this might be the nail in the coffin for a good number of them.

Last edited:

Thread drift here, but even if the state and local government threw them a party, I don't think GameStop is re-opening. Ditto Pier 1. I'm sure there will be others. More on topic, I have my doubts half the independent restaurants/bars in the tourist area of Orlando ever re-open. I don't think you can overestimate the damage that's been done. Which will spin-off into major setbacks for the theme parks, that most disposable of disposable income splurges.

Thread drift here, but even if the state and local government threw them a party, I don't think GameStop is re-opening. Ditto Pier 1. I'm sure there will be others. More on topic, I have my doubts half the independent restaurants/bars in the tourist area of Orlando ever re-open. I don't think you can overestimate the damage that's been done. Which will spin-off into major setbacks for the theme parks, that most disposable of disposable income splurges.
all those cheap souvenir shops on international drive might be gone lol

Well I will do my part come October. I still have every intention to enjoy my family vacation for 2 weeks, if all is open I will be there ready to enjoy. Flight is booked, hotels booked, and plans are still progressing and hoping for the best. God willing I will do what I can to get the vacation industry back, yes I know I’m not even a blip. I also have a cruise booked for December with just the wife that I am very much looking forward to. Some might think I’m crazy, and I know this situation is bad, but I refuse to live in fear as I believe a life lived in fear isn’t worth living.

Edit: should specify October is Orlando with Disneyworld 11days, SeaWorld/Aquatica 2 days, and a day at Margaritaville. December the cruise is out of San Diego and the wife and I plan to stay a few days before to enjoy seaworld and maybe the zoo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.