Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 55 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's movies getting moved back, not theaters saying they'll be closed in July. Movies can be pushed off and possibly do just as well as they would have otherwise. Opening them sooner is a bigger risk. There's also the fact that the movies being pushed back now need to be put somewhere, and the movies coming out in summer are on hold because they can't finish production and reshoots.

Theme parks can't just push back re-opening and recoup the money. Every day they are closed they lose money.

While theaters themselves are in a similar situation, the people moving the movies back are moving things back without any real consideration of the theaters.

I know that some of this is because of production issues preventing the movies from being finished, but that isn't the case for all the movies getting delayed. I feel like some of these movies might not do as good in the future, especially since there will be more competition since studios will be trying to release their back catalog of delayed movies around the same time.

Also, something like Black Widow already feels like it is getting released too late. I think that movie would have way more hype had it gotten released before Endgame. Now, it is going to have to regain the marketing momentum it did have once it is finally released. New Mutants was already getting released far too late due to the numerous delays, and any anticipation for the movie has died down so much, that it will likely flop even more after this delay.

New Mutants was already getting released far too late due to the numerous delays, and any anticipation for the movie has died down so much, that it will likely flop even more after this delay.
Disney 100% needs to release New Mutants on Disney+ at this point. Or maybe a digital VOD release followed by Disney+....but I don’t even know if enough people are aware of it to justify a $20-$30 rental fee.

Disney 100% needs to release New Mutants on Disney+ at this point. Or maybe a digital VOD release followed by Disney+....but I don’t even know if enough people are aware of it to justify a $20-$30 rental fee.
The New Mutants was fairly cheap I’d I remember (about $45m). It’s worth a theatrical release imo as they have way more to gain than to lose.

Maybe in two weeks after everyone has burned through what is available to them.
There will be growing hunger for new content, while I could hope that many turn to the wealth of mind expanding higher learning opportunities available my reality is that most will turn to mindless escapism

Reactions: SeventyOne
The New Mutants was fairly cheap I’d I remember (about $45m). It’s worth a theatrical release imo as they have way more to gain than to lose.
$45m budget doubled for marketing, which has already been expensive as anything due to 4 release dates moves. I guess we will see, but I don’t think they even breakeven at this point, theatrical or VOD.

$45m budget doubled for marketing, which has already been expensive as anything due to 4 release dates moves. I guess we will see, but I don’t think they even breakeven at this point, theatrical or VOD.
I understand that. But the movie should easily make profit as long as overseas box office is up and active.

Then they can make VOD money and throw it on Hulu. It will be profitable in the end if they go that route. Straight to VOD and the likely lose money.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Over here in the UK, the Fringe Festival which takes place in Edinburgh has been cancelled in August. I have heard alot of people say things will be back to normal by summer, but I think this shows that we cannot guarantee anything at this point.

This is pretty massive for the city as it is the biggest time of year for visitors to the city and takes in mega bucks in terms of tourism. Millions of pounds every year.

Last edited:
So I work for LAUSD and we are closed till next school year which is mid august. I doubt any theme park would or should open prior to that, My girlfriend works at universal and we’re both not working but luckily being paid during the time off. Sephora just let go all of there part time employees and I think that’s what’s happening to universal employees soon.

Soooo......how many great property prices are going to be popping up for sale by cash strapped owners near Epic. Bet Universal is watching, waiting to buy in what will probably be a distressed commercial real estate market.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Soooo......how many great property prices are going to be popping up for sale by cash strapped owners near Epic. Bet Universal is watching, waiting to buy in what will probably be a distressed commercial real estate market.
I think on many things, Universal is going to try and capitalize on all of this in anyway they can. Sad for the small business that are nearby, but imagine some of the chain hotels near Surf/Dockside going out of business? Not what I’m hoping for for anybody’s sake but I’d think it’s a realistic possibility for some if this goes far into dummer, even more room to grow.

Reactions: GadgetGuru

What properties are between the USF/IOA campus and the EU site?

What properties are between the USF/IOA campus and the EU site?
When I say properties I'm referring to not only land that is not yet built on but buildings also. So every tract between those two points has 'potential', if their businesses/owners have cash flow/business losses issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.