Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a major boys and girls club of America conference in Orlando in May, I wonder if it will even happen at this point. I used to work at a club but I’m guessing they cancel that convention.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Working in trade shows/conventions, I can tell you things are looking real bad. Had a show that was supposed to be later this month cancel in Seattle. A friend in another company had his Chicago show cancelled and he was supposed to leave this weekend.

Surprisingly, the show I’m working right now in Vegas hasn’t been cancelled, though there were serious discussions about that yesterday. It’s supposed to pull in over 130k people to the area. Mostly from North America. The Chinese and Italian delegations already cancelled their arrangements. It’s a giant construction expo that already has a lot of exhibitors’ equipment set up so I’m thinking they believe it’d be just way too difficult to arrange shipping and cancellations on this large a scale. Not a great situation in this industry right now.

Edit: Was also just texted by coworker that she just received an email saying her event was cancelled too. She was supposed to leave next week for it.
is it just for prevention?

There is a major boys and girls club of America conference in Orlando in May, I wonder if it will even happen at this point. I used to work at a club but I’m guessing they cancel that convention.

i wonder about schools getting cancelled

That is my big worry. No offence to Orlando but if the parks are shut, there's nothing else to do.
Orlando without the parks would absolutely not be worth going to.

We know that but the GP?
The GP are absolute morons. Corona Beer had to send a letter to their vendors to post that Corona Beer has nothing to do with Corona virus. That's the GP.

Again, screw the economy. I couldn't give a crap what the stock market is doing. We're talking about theme parks at the end of the day. Why would people visit now when the risk is higher when the parks are still going to be there after we've contained the virus?

Theme parks aren't normal day-to-day activities. I agree not to live in fear, but you also can choose to not put yourself around that many people. Like I said, the parks aren't going anywhere. I think it's just irresponsible to not take this seriously.
Eh, if I weren't completely packed on my schedule, I'd definitely try to make it out to the parks to enjoy the lower crowds.
Have you seen the streets of Rome and squares in Venice? It looks like an absolute dream time to visit.

Speaking of Europe: On the international front; hotel availability has been rapidly opening up, including Disneyland Paris. Only Santa Fe (value) had a single category room for my March trip just a couple weeks ago. Yesterday Santa Fe had multiple type rooms, as did Newport Club and also Disneyland hotel. And just checked now and Sequoia opened up as well.
Additionally, I had to do a split stay because the suites at the Hyatt in Paris were sold out on one of my days two weeks ago. Fast forward to yesterday and every suite is open so I rebooked.
Tourism is absolutely dead. And while yes; if you work for a major corporation and can't travel, don't. But if you work from home and can self-quarantine? I'd as least consider using this as an opportunity for dirt cheap travel with incredibly enjoyable crowd levels. But know the downsides as well; which could include mandatory quarantine, trip interruption, flight cancellation, etc.
But I don't think it's entirely detrimental to the big picture if you travel while taking proper precautions and remain hyper aware/vigilant.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm wondering what happens in the next 4 years based on this. I'm looking at a degree in the field and now I'm feeling a little concerned about what happens when I finish school. I always knew that volatility in tourism could affect jobs prospects in this particular field but man, it sucks seeing it happen just as I start to get into school for it.

I'm going to SXSW next week and have been anxious about what will happen with the festival. If the festival is cancelled, so many people in the entertainment industry are screwed alongside Austin's economy. On the other hand, coronavirus spreading at the festival could be devastating. It's a veeeeeeeeerry tricky situation

Just turned 70. During my long lifetime, I've witnessed many nationwide panics.....financial, economic, weather, political, public health. Every single one was blown way out of proportion, mostly by the media (and I'm not a national media critic). Not to say there shouldn't be any concern when these things happen, but they are in essence 'panics' and the reactions end up being way out of proportion to the real threats. My take on the cornovirus basically is that it's an issue that will be dealt with by society by using some common sense containment methods. It really doesn't worry me as a long term threat.

I'm wondering what happens in the next 4 years based on this. I'm looking at a degree in the field and now I'm feeling a little concerned about what happens when I finish school. I always knew that volatility in tourism could affect jobs prospects in this particular field but man, it sucks seeing it happen just as I start to get into school for it.
If you are good you don't have to worry.

BTW the image is gone

I think with the event featuring a lot of panels, and as such, a lot of moving parts - they just couldn't guarantee that all these different personalities would actually commit.

it all depends on the vaccine, everything depends on it being made

Reactions: Frogki
I'm going to SXSW next week and have been anxious about what will happen with the festival. If the festival is cancelled, so many people in the entertainment industry are screwed alongside Austin's economy. On the other hand, coronavirus spreading at the festival could be devastating. It's a veeeeeeeeerry tricky situation

Sorry

Working in trade shows/conventions, I can tell you things are looking real bad. Had a show that was supposed to be later this month cancel in Seattle. A friend in another company had his Chicago show cancelled and he was supposed to leave this weekend.

Surprisingly, the show I’m working right now in Vegas hasn’t been cancelled, though there were serious discussions about that yesterday. It’s supposed to pull in over 130k people to the area. Mostly from North America. The Chinese and Italian delegations already cancelled their arrangements. It’s a giant construction expo that already has a lot of exhibitors’ equipment set up so I’m thinking they believe it’d be just way too difficult to arrange shipping and cancellations on this large a scale. Not a great situation in this industry right now.

Edit: Was also just texted by coworker that she just received an email saying her event was cancelled too. She was supposed to leave next week for it.

I have a couple guys from my office that are going to the Vegas construction expo. We have heard a lot of other people have been canceling and weren’t sure if there was any possibility of cancellation of the entire event at this stage. Seems doubtful with some already in town, but you never know.

Don't hate on me for this but in an event like this, WDW is probably going to be one of the last place on earth where I would want to be.

People are going to take risks for a few reasons; For many people, this is once in a lifetime trip and many of those people can't afford not to go if their travel insurance isn't prepared to pay out.Disney have hammered the idea into people that you need to plan your trip down to the hour. You need to book your dining 6 months in advance, you need to stay on site so you can book that FP 2 months in advance. Simply postponing your trip for a few weeks or months means that you lose everything you've planned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.