Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 113 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think everyone is on a wait and see timeline here. They're waiting to make formal plans on timelines until after we see what happens with places like Georgia reopening. If things go alright then we'll hear some kind of timelines being announced for the parks. If cases spike and it becomes a problem in the next couple of weeks then everything is on hold.

So it appears that the preliminary guidelines posted a few pages ago were from this morning's meeting of the Guidelines for Reopening Businesses working group of Orange County's Economic Recovery Task Force, and were primarily the weekend work of co-chair Chuck Whittall, President of Unicorp National Development, based on his reading of other states' guidelines. It doesn't sound like those guidelines were very reflective of the overall working group's opinions, so I expect we may see a pretty different version in the coming days as they incorporate recommendations from more members and the public. This working group does appear to include the representatives from all three large theme parks, as well as Orlando sports teams and the Dr Phillips Center for Performing Arts.

Reactions: JungleSkip
The governor here in Maine released phased opening plans today and they are on the severe side. I feel confident that many of the thousands of restaurants and hotels along the coast here will be breaking these laws in any way they can.

June 1 restaurants and hotels can only be open to Mainers or Mainers who have arrived from out of state and quarantined for 14 days. RIGHT. I feel confident there will be a whole bunch of "Mainers" with out of state license plates that "haven't registered their cars in state yet".

No one is enforcing the visiting out-of-staters quarantine in the past 5 weeks... they just cruise right in and hop all over hell.

July 1 the state might open all services to out of staters. No matter how you cut it... it is going to be an unmanageable health disaster.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
The governor here in Maine released phased opening plans today and they are on the severe side. I feel confident that many of the thousands of restaurants and hotels along the coast here will be breaking these laws in any way they can.

June 1 restaurants and hotels can only be open to Mainers or Mainers who have arrived from out of state and quarantined for 14 days. RIGHT. I feel confident there will be a whole bunch of "Mainers" with out of state license plates that "haven't registered their cars in state yet".

No one is enforcing the visiting out-of-staters quarantine in the past 5 weeks... they just cruise right in and hop all over hell.

July 1 the state might open all services to out of staters. No matter how you cut it... it is going to be an unmanageable health disaster.
Come on down to Fla, Clearwater beach opens Monday.....

• Wow
Reactions: Grabnar

Seems like a ploy to limit people actually coming rather than anything actually useful lol

This could be opening up a door that they won't be able to shut after this year. Potentially a game changer for Netflix and other streamers.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Seems like a ploy to limit people actually coming rather than anything actually useful lol

Well, the news will only be seen by Mainers so I doubt that will have an effect. It’s the businesses that will look the other way because they must make the bucks. Imagine staying at an inn on the coast of New England this summer... do you go and sit in the common rooms by the fireplace, sip wine and chat with guests?

Woah to the restaurants that are indoor dining only. I for one will only visit ones with a terrace or at a picnic table at a fried seafood stand.

One of my favorites in Cape Elizabeth... the red things are picnic tables.

Ya I saw all this, I'm not sure what to think yet. Im incredibly worried here in Portland for our city and the impacts of this. This essentially does nothing and the 4th of July will be busier than ever with that July 1st opening. YIKES.

This could be opening up a door that they won't be able to shut after this year. Potentially a game changer for Netflix and other streamers.

I really feel the future of indie films if theaters begin dying if thru Netflix and Amazon. Part of me likes it, as I believe more stories will get out there that need to be heard that aren't consistently now because indie's struggle getting screens in major theaters. If Amazon and Netflix can provide for that demographic, than honestly, I think they'll gain audiences and these films will be seen by a more widespread group of people.

What does that mean for smaller indie studios in terms of profits? Im honestly not sure. Im okay with this though, the future is changing right now and we may not even get movie theaters open until closer to Christmas, so this only makes sense. I think it makes sense to have the awards too because it'd be the most unique one in history and they can capitalize on that. Bad Boys FTW!!!!

In case anyone wasn't yet aware, the Orange County guidelines working group is doing a really good job of illustrating that good business skills don't necessarily translate into good policy skills.

After all the reporting on co-chair Chuck Whittall's first draft of guidelines yesterday, at the full task force meeting in the afternoon the WDW representative, Thomas Mazloum, clarified the following:
"This morning's productive session produced a document by our chairman that was simply intended to be a starting block for conversation and did not constitute the initial recommendation by the task force or the county for the opening of Walt Disney World. And the only reason I wanted to bring this up is it appears unintentionally some media outlets misunderstood that and interpreted that as the guidelines for the reopening of Walt Disney World. So thank you for giving me the opportunity to correct this statement that this was simply a starting block for conversation and did not constitute the recommendations by either the task force or the county for the opening of Walt Disney World."
So I don't think Disney was too impressed with those draft guidelines.

So then, as has been reported above, at this morning's meeting of the working group co-chair Chuck Whittall and Mayor Demings decided that instead, large theme parks and other sports/entertainment venues should simply decide their own reopening procedures because they know more about keeping their guests and employees safe than the committee does. At the same time, some members just wanted to talk about reopening dates (which are not a primary goal of the working group), while most remained insistent that mandating temperature checks for customers is not feasible for businesses despite the doctors in the group recommending them. Also, Chuck Whittall was continuing to try to force forward his piecemeal guidelines that are separated by industry, while the WDW rep (Thomas Mazloum) suggested that it might make more sense to make phase recommendations based on what safety measures are needed in each phase rather than arbitrary capacity limits, but it seemed that only person responsive to that was the mayor's chief of staff (who isn't a member of the committee).

Anyone seeing AMC stating they will no longer screen Universal pictures due to Universal's statement at doing more film releases simultaneously in theaters and premium at home rentals? Seemed like a big statement to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.