Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 142 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Woof… I know it’s a glorified rest area - but that’s awful.
Would have preferred a Buc-ee's here, now that you mentioned it's a glorified rest stop lol

One major issue with WDI (and UC/SWO) is the lack of attention to the guest experience... especially when it comes to heat and lack of proper shelter. I'm not expecting cool air to be pumped into the park, but something as minor as some umbrellas and shade structures would do wonders for the guest experience.

Disney Dish did an episode a few weeks back on why the stage at Tomorrowland never houses a year-long outdoor show... it's hot and way too sunny to be standing around for half an hour in one spot.

I think the rest of the Epcot hub overhaul is great (can't justify how long it took), but this seems to be the biggest miss IMO.

SSE is still running on a thread with updates from three presidential administrations ago, Play/WoL is empty still, axed Poppins (despite my issues a ride is needed), and their first attempt at a nighttime show bombed so hard they scrapped what was 20 years of infrastructure in 18 months. What a mess.

Yeah, shocked that the area was more themed for the press event only a few days ago. Now it’s just an empty, ugly area with un-themed white walls. At least Innoventions had stuff to do inside. This is just unacceptable and honestly pisses me off. I miss Disney from the 90s. My joke for a while now has been “It’s not EPCOT any more, now it’s IPCOT (Intellectual Property Community of Tomorrow)”. Afraid to say it might not be a joke any more. So depressing and disappointing. Disney can do better, they just choose not to. :sob::sob::sob:

Am I only one glad half the stuff proposed originally with Chapek didn’t get built?

Only the Festival Center and Mary Poppins I somewhat liked but otherwise this is the better design.

SSE was going to get the “TBA” treatment if that actually came to fruition. Luckily according to insiders WDWMagic all those plans are cancelled.

They are not looking for a sponsor to overhaul the attraction. It’s also competing with Imagination for funds to see which gets updated first.

Am I only one glad half the stuff proposed originally with Chapek didn’t get built?

Only the Festival Center and Mary Poppins I somewhat liked but otherwise this is the better design.

SSE was going to get the “TBA” treatment if that actually came to fruition. Luckily according to insiders WDWMagic all those plans are cancelled.

They are not looking for a sponsor to overhaul the attraction. It’s also competing with Imagination for funds to see which gets updated first.
As much as I'd like SSE to get refurbed, Imagination needs it more. In a sad and abandoned state.

SSE is still running on a thread with updates from three presidential administrations ago, Play/WoL is empty still, axed Poppins (despite my issues a ride is needed), and their first attempt at a nighttime show bombed so hard they scrapped what was 20 years of infrastructure in 18 months. What a mess.
Failing up. Studios didn't even miss out on that much stuff during its overhaul.

And edit to add: also throw Brazil on that list - the site prep for that made it further than the theater at Magic Kingdom ever made it.

The saddest thing about Epcot is that it's too propped up by festivals to tank like Animal Kingdom or Studios. I say that because I was guilty of contributing to it - when you're a local and want to get out in the evenings, it's a good place to walk and for every festival iteration there's the 3-4 things that you like to snack on or drink.

But when there's no festival it's like ehh why would I bother. It's like saying that you saved a local mall because the JC Penney turned into a movie theater and now it's busy - you didn't actually save retail, you just found a different reason to get people to show up to salvage the foot traffic stats and economics.

Last edited:
Failing up. Studios didn't even miss out on that much stuff during its overhaul.

And edit to add: also throw Brazil on that list - the site prep for that made it further than the theater at Magic Kingdom ever made it.

The saddest thing about Epcot is that it's too propped up by festivals to tank like Animal Kingdom or Studios. I say that because I was guilty of contributing to it - when you're a local and want to get out in the evenings, it's a good place to walk and for every festival iteration there's the 3-4 things that you like to snack on or drink.

But when there's no festival it's like ehh why would I bother. It's like saying that you saved a local mall because the JC Penney turned into a movie theater and now it's busy - you didn't actually save retail, you just found a different reason to get people to show up to salvage the foot traffic stats and economics.

Fool me once with WS additions, even if there is "prep" work.

You hit the nail on the head, Epcot is a local fan's festival park, a step above Disney Springs for restaurants and drinks. While I think such an offering is needed for a weeklong vacation and to differentiate the parks, but the vast majority of people who go to the parks are interested in rides, shows, and attractions.

Reactions: Tobias
For context, Epcot’s added
1. Frozen
2. Ratatouille
3. Journey of Water
4. new entry plaza
5. Guardians

…in the same amount of time it took USF to get
1. Fallon
2. Fast & Furious
3. Bourne
4. VillainCon
5. Dreamworks Land

Seems pretty good for just a festival park to me

Well, there is another thread calling for USF to get fixed/overhauled. :lol:

My assumption is that, being a festival center, they're going to swap various things inside during festivals.

The stage and outdoor queue for the character thing are jokes though.

Yeah, it's safe to assume they'll put stuff in that space during the festivals. But talk about the worst timing for this to open, during a notable stretch where no festival is going on. Doesn't make the best first impression, and it just makes things awkward when the stage and Mickey and Friends sections are having shade issues due to sheer poor design.

Reactions: SeventyOne
A lot of positive has come to Epcot in the past decade or so in terms of rides or ride updates, etc.

Unfortunately the park was in such bad shape before they started putting money into it after letting it rot for about 15-20 years that they still have probably another $2 Billion solid that needs to be put into the park to get it to where it needs to be.

A lot of positive has come to Epcot in the past decade or so in terms of rides or ride updates, etc.

Unfortunately the park was in such bad shape before they started putting money into it after letting it rot for about 15-20 years that they still have probably another $2 Billion solid that needs to be put into the park to get it to where it needs to be.
And to piggyback…. Disney showed what they intended for Epcot - so when the cuts started happening, I can understand why people started getting a little underwhelmed despite some solid changes.

Yes, yes.. all true.. BUT... that's BEFORE we get a bunch of announcements at this year's D23 that are going to be for real this time, right? Who's with me?

phoebe-friends-excited.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SeventyOne
I can't speak to disappoint regarding what's been promised/delivered, but Epcot is the park we find ourselves spending the most time in when we're in Orlando*. It has a lineup of attractions we love (we are noted Ratatouille and Frozen likers) and Guardians of the Galaxy is, by a hair, my wife's favorite roller coaster. The food is great, we love the vibe and really enjoy spending time there.

Next time we're in Orlando, whether we're there for a full-blown Disney trip or not, I imagine we'll be trying to squeeze in a day at Epcot.

*Volcano Bay being an incredibly close second