Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 143 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apparently according to wdwmagic insiders, figment only has a budget of 45mil. Apparently this means the current sets will unfortunately probably be reused. Im sorry everyone.
Yea I saw that however we have to remember insiders are not all knowing. His sources may not be accurate with that amount.

Until Disney announces they are overhauling Imagination I take everything I read with grain of salt.

I'm significantly underwhelmed by most of the work put into Epcot over the last decade*, but because the park still has things that mean a lot to me (Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, The American Adventure, the World Showcase films, World Showcase in general), it's still a must-do during every trip.

Which means I'm part of the problem.

* There are aspects I like (the new entry, the Beacons of Magic lights/shows on Spaceship Earth, the new center of the park, the area around Ratatouille).

Last edited:
A lot of positive has come to Epcot in the past decade or so in terms of rides or ride updates, etc.

Unfortunately the park was in such bad shape before they started putting money into it after letting it rot for about 15-20 years that they still have probably another $2 Billion solid that needs to be put into the park to get it to where it needs to be.

I can't speak to disappoint regarding what's been promised/delivered, but Epcot is the park we find ourselves spending the most time in when we're in Orlando*. It has a lineup of attractions we love (we are noted Ratatouille and Frozen likers) and Guardians of the Galaxy is, by a hair, my wife's favorite roller coaster. The food is great, we love the vibe and really enjoy spending time there.

Next time we're in Orlando, whether we're there for a full-blown Disney trip or not, I imagine we'll be trying to squeeze in a day at Epcot.

*Volcano Bay being an incredibly close second

I'm significantly underwhelmed by most of the work put into Epcot over the last decade*, but because the park still has things that mean a lot to me (Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, The American Adventure, the World Showcase films, World Showcase in general), it's still a must-do during every trip.

Which means I'm part of the problem.

* There are aspects I like (the new entry, the Beacons of Magic lights/shows on Spaceship Earth, the new center of the park, the area around Ratatouille).

its funny because epcot is the park i spend the least time ever on property, the least of the 4, but my favorite is animal kingdom.
for me it's 1. animal kingdom, 2. magic kingdom. 2. hollywood studios. 4. epcot.
epcot is nice, its beautiful, but, i just never have much reason to go.

Reactions: belloq87
I think the reason I'm not too miffed about the cuts is because I was never sold on those projects to begin with.

The Mary Poppins thing should have been a dark ride. Play! should have involved a ride or rides of some kind. Spaceship Earth's content overhaul (the re-track is very much still needed) may have destroyed it. The Festival Center looked odd and asymmetrical (in its placement) in a way that didn't appeal to me.

I'd obviously still like to see the combined budgetary equivalent of those things infused into the park.

• Love
Reactions: SkiBum and OrlLover
Yes, yes.. all true.. BUT... that's BEFORE we get a bunch of announcements at this year's D23 that are going to be for real this time, right? Who's with me?

phoebe-friends-excited.gif
D23 2024 for the WDW side of things appears to be heavily focused on MK, AK, and maybe something thrown in the mix for DHS. Maybe at D23 2026 we will see new additions or blue sky concepts for Epcot.

its funny because epcot is the park i spend the least time ever on property, the least of the 4, but my favorite is animal kingdom.
for me it's 1. animal kingdom, 2. magic kingdom. 2. hollywood studios. 4. epcot.
epcot is nice, its beautiful, but, i just never have much reason to go.
Epcot for me is easily my most frequented park by far simply because there’s always something new going on or there’s concerts I’m going for, etc, etc.

Epcot for me is easily my most frequented park by far simply because there’s always something new going on or there’s concerts I’m going for, etc, etc.
yeah that part is true, and i do always loved watching the dolphins, i liked that nemo ride, i love spaceship earth, i love the mexico pyramid. i just prefer the beauty of animal kingdom

A lot of positive has come to Epcot in the past decade or so in terms of rides or ride updates, etc.

Unfortunately the park was in such bad shape before they started putting money into it after letting it rot for about 15-20 years that they still have probably another $2 Billion solid that needs to be put into the park to get it to where it needs to be.
Before we the overhaul we had a horrible maintained Figment/SSE and an abandoned pavilion. After the overhaul we have two even more horrible maintained rides and an abandoned pavilion.

Yes, yes.. all true.. BUT... that's BEFORE we get a bunch of announcements at this year's D23 that are going to be for real this time, right? Who's with me?

phoebe-friends-excited.gif
I'd be shocked to hear anything outside Test Track redo details. Not that there isn't anything to do at Epcot... but it's the park that just received the most "love".

Solid food, nice atmosphere and several attractions that are almost always walk-ons that are long and fireworks that can be seen anywhere.

I'll laughed at this, but I really hope Celestial Park at EU has a similar nighttime atmosphere to Celestial Gardens... took too long but it's a great nighttime experience.

Reactions: IzzyB
For us, Epcot is a frequent visit because of its proximity to our home resort. It's the perfect first day park - walk around, grab something to eat, hop on SSE, walk off the haze from the flight/travel. I realize it's not the most thrilling of days but we end up spending a lot more time at Epcot than we thought we would. It's just so easy to walk there and get in through IG.

I think the reason I'm not too miffed about the cuts is because I was never sold on those projects to begin with.

The Mary Poppins thing should have been a dark ride. Play! should have involved a ride or rides of some kind. Spaceship Earth's content overhaul (the re-track is very much still needed) may have destroyed it. The Festival Center looked odd and asymmetrical (in its placement) in a way that didn't appeal to me.

I'd obviously still like to see the combined budgetary equivalent of those things infused into the park.

Play had a ride (or at least a very involved interactive with motion) that they almost fully developed. What a waste.

Reactions: belloq87
I guess it's dead, so who cares. It involved Huey, Dewey, and Louie -- possibly other Ducktales characters, too. You were on some sort of elevator motion base, and the experience was interactive (though largely screen-based -- think Villain-Con combined with a compact motion simulator.
Very interesting

My last 3 WDW visits have been to EPCOT. Not really sure why.

Guardians.
Such a fantastic attraction, hoping they can be convinced to do a standby line without VQ soon. I sincerely doubt they lose any sort of LL revenue from dropping VQ from it. It'll still be a very popular attraction with wait-times to show.

Saw Communicore Hall last night, exterior is fantastic. Though I wish they provided more covered seating/shelter at the backside of the building closer to Figment. The stage is fine, looks great at night. Nighttime lighting package is fantastic.

There's no justification for how long this all took... but the final product is great and IMO fits Epcot to an extent (at least the modern definition of it).

Doubt it happens, but I hope they can "extend" the hub's design into World Discovery/Nature as it's a nice aesthetic.

I guess it's dead, so who cares. It involved Huey, Dewey, and Louie -- possibly other Ducktales characters, too. You were on some sort of elevator motion base, and the experience was interactive (though largely screen-based -- think Villain-Con combined with a compact motion simulator.
The universe doesn’t need another VillainCon, sounds like a dub to me :lmao:

Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, and even Imagination are three of our fav attractions at Epcot. I was surprised to see that the girls (10 and 11) didn't like any of those three. They said they were boring. But they loved Ratatouie, Mission, Gran Fiesta ride, Test Track, Frozen ,Nemo, France film, and especially Soarin. They were so so on American Experience. Moana was closed both of the days we were there, so we couldn't do it.