Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2 | Page 43 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm with you in theory, but in execution ... Gaton's feels nothing like the cheery, well-lit tavern in the movie, it feels like the Hogs Head from HP3 or whichever one (trust me, I'm more a Disney animation mark than a Potter mark). That goes back to my criticism in my review. Do the Jungle Cruise and Kilimanjaro Safaris have a lot of similarities? Of course. But they each maintain their own identity/"feel." Gastons and the Mermaid queue are Animal Kingdom theming hiding out in Fantasyland.

That's a good point..I think a lot of realism went into Fantasyland when it should be the exact opposite..Fantasyland should feel like just that, a Fantasy Land with exaggerated architecture and buildings

Mmk, well after now being able to say that I've done literally EVERYTHING in New Fantasyland (other than Seven Dwarves Mine Train, of course), I'll let y'all know how I feel about it.

1. Ariel's Undersea Adventure - I've never been to Disneyland, so I didn't really know what exactly I was in store for other than going in there knowing it was an omnimover themed to The Little Mermaid. The queue was fantastic and the interactive portion was interesting. The ride itself was pretty cool, although Ariel's face(s) needs some work. "Kiss The Girl" Ariel had a lazy eye as well. Really cool ride though.

2. Enchanted Tales With Belle - REALLY cool. Disney definitely outdid themselves here. I can see capacity becoming an issue very fast, however. Cast previews had waits over 45mins and with the way one of the exits is set up, the line had to be cut off at the entrance to allow guests to exit the attraction (at a 45min wait). The crowds that'll be showing up come time for the Grand Reveal and in the summer months won't be pretty here.

3. Be Our Guest - I had the privilege of eating here for both lunch and dinner on Monday. Lunch was more "magical" than dinner, if you want to put it like that. The ordering, seating, and food delivery system was definitely unique and really really cool. We split the croque monsieur for lunch and it was delicious. Sat in the West Wing for lunch. No need to pay for drinks (at least not now) because you get them yourself at a fountain. Dinner was absolutely spectacular. We had a windowside table in the ballroom! They don't lie when they say that their french onion soup is the best. We split entrees of cornish hen and ratatouille and both were very good. For dessert, I highly recommend the strawberry cupcake. Also, don't forget to ask your server to "try the grey stuff." If they ask if it's your birthday, just go with it. It's well worth it.

I'm with you in theory, but in execution ... Gaton's feels nothing like the cheery, well-lit tavern in the movie, it feels like the Hogs Head from HP3 or whichever one (trust me, I'm more a Disney animation mark than a Potter mark). That goes back to my criticism in my review. Do the Jungle Cruise and Kilimanjaro Safaris have a lot of similarities? Of course. But they each maintain their own identity/"feel." Gastons and the Mermaid queue are Animal Kingdom theming hiding out in Fantasyland.

Gaston's was pretty cheery and well lit when I was there yesterday... It's squeaky clean with gameboards, a kept fireplace, and vastly different architecture. It wasn't as EPIC as Gastons (i.e. no authentic taxidermy or alcohol) but I don't think they are visually similar at all in that it isn't a rundown, filthy and cryptic eatery. Part of the reason you may feel that there's "Animal Kingdom theming" in FLE is because FL hasn't has a real expansion since it's conception and DAK is the last place to get a real expansion with modern-day treatment. But looking around the preexisting FL...

2953441456_496373c25e.jpg

Pinocchio-Village-Haus.jpg

...you can see they were going for something similar to FLE, only were working in the 1970's and not in the 2010's. Pinocchio borrows architecture from his region (Germany) the same way Gaston borrows from his.

So the Disney Parks Blog posted this picture:

wil111111LARGE.jpg

Does the guy with the sunglasses and blue shirt in the front look familiar to anyone?:lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cwoolboy
:lol: He looks like uh huh this cost you 450 million dollars??!!

I got a good laugh when I watched the video in the article and saw that the editor pulled a Soprano.

[video=youtube;jJrcuOjhmU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJrcuOjhmU4[/video]

EDIT: Disney's already taken it down, and even removed the video from the article.

Last edited:
I have to wonder why they would post a picture of the head of Universal Creative on the Disney Parks Blog. And even odder is they didn't even identify him. What is the point of posting his pic if they don't say who it is?

I have to wonder why they would post a picture of the head of Universal Creative on the Disney Parks Blog. And even odder is they didn't even identify him. What is the point of posting his pic if they don't say who it is?

The Blog people could be ignorant enough not to know who he is.