Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2 | Page 120 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
the funny thing is that there is acutually some progress at the mine ride, but very few people on this board are concerned with updating this thread with anything but Disney hazing. Sure it's a slow progress, but if you want to find updates they are out there.

Trying to fix that. :thumbs:

:lol:

Hey I love the new area and love Disney, but I will bash them for not completing this all at once. The coaster is an eyesore with the construction walls and takes away from the magic. The rest is really good and I love it. I think it is a great addition. But that won't stop me from saying they were idiots to take this long.

The FLE is a perfect example of TDO's thinking. It was NOT designed to increase attendance. It was simply to replace the capacity of lost attractions such as 20K Leagues. Even though it was announced in 2009 (a full 2 years after Potter was announced) TDO felt that Potter was actually going to only help WDW. As it turned out, that was not the case. In fact, Potter hurt WDW's numbers slightly, but Potter sucked the life out of in park guest spending at the Disney Parks. The One Disney/Disney Parks generic merchandise only compounded the situation.

I believe that had Potter opened before the FLE was planned, I think the FLE would have been a titch more ambitious.

I'm just glad that this interation of FLE is 10x better than the original announcements...I mean really, we wouldve gotten 5 individual pricess meet and greets and the fairy garden...at least this way we got Storybook and the coaster.

The FLE is a perfect example of TDO's thinking. It was NOT designed to increase attendance. It was simply to replace the capacity of lost attractions such as 20K Leagues. Even though it was announced in 2009 (a full 2 years after Potter was announced) TDO felt that Potter was actually going to only help WDW. As it turned out, that was not the case. In fact, Potter hurt WDW's numbers slightly, but Potter sucked the life out of in park guest spending at the Disney Parks. The One Disney/Disney Parks generic merchandise only compounded the situation.

I believe that had Potter opened before the FLE was planned, I think the FLE would have been a titch more ambitious.

I agree. Disney is pretty arrogant and I really think they didn't take WWOHP seriously. This is why I would think anything they do in AK and MGM has to be better than FLE, but with the budget numbers it seems their heads are still not in the right place. My only thought is they think NextGen will bring the spending numbers back up to what they were, but while I think they will make their money back in NextGen, I don't think it can counteract the trend that is happening right now. Phase 2 is only going to make it worse, not better for Disney.

The FLE is a perfect example of TDO's thinking. It was NOT designed to increase attendance. It was simply to replace the capacity of lost attractions such as 20K Leagues. Even though it was announced in 2009 (a full 2 years after Potter was announced) TDO felt that Potter was actually going to only help WDW. As it turned out, that was not the case. In fact, Potter hurt WDW's numbers slightly, but Potter sucked the life out of in park guest spending at the Disney Parks.

I can attest to that we are/were rabid WDW fans but when it came down to adding another day because we were arriving early we all chose Universal Studios.

We spent a average with food ,tickets, gifts and souvenirs of about $240 a day at Universal and $220 at disney and that includes BEER . I didn't add in the cost of hotels because we own at the Beach Club

The One Disney/Disney Parks generic merchandise only compounded the situation.

This is why I buy nothing for myself when I'm at Disney.
This is the first year I bought a t shirt in 5-6 years only because I liked it and it had year 2013 on it

The only time I ever buy merch at Disney is if it's anniversary merch, and even then I don't spend much. Maybe a T-shirt and that's it. I still wear my Epcot 30 t-shirt to this day so it was well worth it, but if they would have more unique merch year round, maybe i'd actually spend more money.

^ Funny, the only time I ever bought anything from a gift shop at Disney was because I was caught off-guard by an evening cold snap and needed a long sleeved shirt. I did buy hats and t-shirts at Universal, and almost bought a very expensive Stan Winston bronze of a velociraptor in JP. Anyone remember those?

In fact, Potter hurt WDW's numbers slightly, but Potter sucked the life out of in park guest spending at the Disney Parks.
You can say guest spending in WDW was victim to a Dementor's Kiss.

- - - Updated - - -

The only time I ever buy merch at Disney is if it's anniversary merch, and even then I don't spend much. Maybe a T-shirt and that's it. I still wear my Epcot 30 t-shirt to this day so it was well worth it, but if they would have more unique merch year round, maybe i'd actually spend more money.

The only time I ever bought Disney merch is if I got it with a CM discount or from a CM friend at Property Shop (I think that is what she called it. The store/warehouse behind MK).

^ Funny, the only time I ever bought anything from a gift shop at Disney was because I was caught off-guard by an evening cold snap and needed a long sleeved shirt. I did buy hats and t-shirts at Universal, and almost bought a very expensive Stan Winston bronze of a velociraptor in JP. Anyone remember those?

Similar to this Teebs?

44f5377de845c469b236f0b118832a07.jpg

The thing is you guys don’t represent the general tourist who only visit once every few years with little Britney and will spend $$$$$ on every bit of merch there little princess demands. I can guarantee you butterbeer or no butterbeer the Disney tourist spend on merch puts Uni in the shade and always will due to the fact they have all the best kiddie IPs we grew up with. The view here is very polarised and doesn’t take into account the vast majority of tourists who will always included Disney on there trip and spend accordingly

The thing is you guys don’t represent the general tourist who only visit once every few years with little Britney and will spend $$$$$ on every bit of merch there little princess demands. I can guarantee you butterbeer or no butterbeer the Disney tourist spend on merch puts Uni in the shade and always will due to the fact they have all the best kiddie IPs we grew up with. The view here is very polarised and doesn’t take into account the vast majority of tourists who will always included Disney on there trip and spend accordingly

While I'm sure Disney has more success with merchandise, I know Potter and minions merchandise is HUGE for Universal as well. They are starting to catch up in that regard.

I know this doesn't really fit quite perfectly here in this thread but here goes. Does WDW have a central food prep building location like Uni has for its two parks. If there is more than one at WDW, where are they located?

I know this doesn't really fit quite perfectly here in this thread but here goes. Does WDW have a central food prep building location like Uni has for its two parks. If there is more than one at WDW, where are they located?

There used to be one over by the Monorail storage/maintenance bay behind MK. However, they subcontracted most of the production work (along w/ ee cafeterias) to Aramark in the mid/late 90's. As far as I know, the only production work they still do in-house is baking (though that could have changed in 15 years).

^ Yeah, I did get more info on this from someone who will remain nameless. Apparently there is no major hub for food prep at WDW, only a distribution building. It appears that all food prep is either done by contractors, as stated above, or done right at each dining facility throughout the four parks. In addition, as stated above, there are many bakeries dotted around each park, with one of the newest being Be Our Guest restaurant.

So, a completely different setup from Universal. This makes sense as the parks are so spread out at WDW.

I took a backstage tour of all four parks in January and the guide said all the food for MK is made underground in the utilidoor system's main kitchen. I stand to be corrected if not right but that's what they said, and sounds about right for all the other parks.

Disney "classics" are becoming antiques. My niece (13) and nephew (8) barely know what Snow White, Dumbo, Bambi, etc, etc are. They definitely know who Harry Potter and Minions are........and there is the problem for Disney. Once upon a time, Disney had the kid market to themselves and continued it for a while with Pixar..........but the last 5-10 years have been pretty lean for memorable Disney characters, movies, etc. The rest of the media world is catching up.......quickly.

I took a backstage tour of all four parks in January and the guide said all the food for MK is made underground in the utilidoor system's main kitchen. I stand to be corrected if not right but that's what they said, and sounds about right for all the other parks.

Hmmm... nothing was mentioned to me regarding the utilidoors. Perhaps I can get further clarification for what may or may not be prepped there.

We weren't told what actually gets made also found it interesting that there maybe elevators that carry food right up the kitchen area. It's mind blowing just how big and what they have and do in the utilidoor system. Let me know what your source says Teebin

Last edited: