Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion | Page 90 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not surprised by this delay at all. F&F was always rumored for late 2017 anyway, they have Fallon and VB + CB Towers next year. It's not needed. The fact that they seem to be running incredibly slow on the project so far only made it more clear. I'd expect June 2018.

This isn't true at all. I think we all agree that this ride looks and sounds underwhelming but the franchise is a money maker and a in house property. The merchandise sales Universal will get from this will alone be worth it for them.
I don't really care how much money Uni makes on merch if the attraction ends up being no good and what would be a COLOSSAL waste of space.

Even though we're probably stuck with the 360 Hollywood screen scene, hopefully enough stuff will get added & plussed so the experience is many times better. They certainly have the time to do it. I'm probably being overly optimistic. But you would think they would realize their original plans were not going to produce a winning popular attraction. They just can't be that dense,I would hope.
They've got the time, the space, and the money to make this an incredible attraction. They just need the desire to do so. Dropping Fast & Furious into the Reign of Kong template - using the same ride system while also leaving behind the incredibly detailed, spooky sets and the AAs - is a recipe for an underwhelming experience.

And honestly, I'm not even sure what an alternative concept could even look like! We'd all like to see something with actual speed, but how do you accomplish that? I could envision some sort of ride system that is Spidey-like, but also allows for launch sections (like in Revenge of the Mummy and Gringotts, or even the faster in-show-building moments from Test Track), but what environment would be surrounding us? A nondescript warehouse like the first couple scenes from Hollywood's F&F version? I'd love to see us whipping through big sets (in the style of Kongfrontation's New York streets) with projected villain vehicles interacting with the real sets with water, real fire, steam, and squib effects. But the question then is would that end up being too much like Spider-Man or Transformers? Who knows! I just know their current plan isn't going to cut it. For me, anyway.

The shell building is staying as whatever was originally planned. Could what is inside have changed? Sure, but I doubt it.

They've got the time, the space, and the money to make this an incredible attraction. They just need the desire to do so. Dropping Fast & Furious into the Reign of Kong template - using the same ride system while also leaving behind the incredibly detailed, spooky sets and the AAs - is a recipe for an underwhelming experience.

And honestly, I'm not even sure what an alternative concept could even look like! We'd all like to see something with actual speed, but how do you accomplish that? I could envision some sort of ride system that is Spidey-like, but also allows for launch sections (like in Revenge of the Mummy and Gringotts, or even the faster in-show-building moments from Test Track), but what environment would be surrounding us? A nondescript warehouse like the first couple scenes from Hollywood's F&F version? I'd love to see us whipping through big sets (in the style of Kongfrontation's New York streets) with projected villain vehicles interacting with the real sets with water, real fire, steam, and squib effects. But the question then is would that end up being too much like Spider-Man or Transformers? Who knows! I just know their current plan isn't going to cut it. For me, anyway.
Yeah, I agree. Just a couple points here. As we discussed a couple of pages back, it would be cool to have at least one large Disaster like scene that your vehicle would have to get through(That could be in that large 35 ft. deep basement) And since it would have all of those types of effects you mentioned above, you wouldn't really need a lot of speed since it would be more danger zone oriented. The other thing I was thinking about is that one of the posters on the Kong thread, I think yesterday, said it actually felt like their vehicle was "speeding" through the jungle in the 360 Kong scene. If that effect can be duplicated with the F&F 360 scene, along with a pure long time set of the above effects, and maybe a couple of fusion scenes, maybe that could be a fun ride. Just kicking ideas around, but including the 360 scene since we're probably stuck with that for sure. :)

Reactions: Mike S and belloq87
I don't think there was enough time to change everything...but maybe I'm wrong..I still wish this was a launch coaster with some indoor sets and outdoor launch

Yeah agreed. I am not sure why any of you think it was going to be completely altered. To my knowledge they were concerned about shortcomings of the wireless communication stuff. The basement possibility seems as if it is something new only because I know of no reason for it other than lengthening the show.

Yeah, I agree. Just a couple points here. As we discussed a couple of pages back, it would be cool to have at least one large Disaster like scene that your vehicle would have to get through(That could be in that large 35 ft. deep basement) And since it would have all of those types of effects you mentioned above, you wouldn't really need a lot of speed since it would be more danger zone oriented. The other thing I was thinking about is that one of the posters on the Kong thread, I think yesterday, said it actually felt like their vehicle was "speeding" through the jungle in the 360 Kong scene. If that effect can be duplicated with the F&F 360 scene, along with a pure long time set of the above effects, and maybe a couple of fusion scenes, maybe that could be a fun ride. Just kicking ideas around, but including the 360 scene since we're probably stuck with that for sure. :)
I would be ok with the scenes before the 360 being all practical..Even if they do Musion within the cars...I just don't want to see a ton of screen scenes with this one...It works for Kong as you can have bats, insects, spiders, etc fly at the car..Here I just expect that kind of thing to fall flat..

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Yeah agreed. I am not sure why any of you think it was going to be completely altered. To my knowledge they were concerned about shortcomings of the wireless communication stuff. The basement possibility seems as if it is something new only because I know of no reason for it other than lengthening the show.

Probably just wishful thinking on our behalf.

I don't think you can rely on the Kong vehicle system for a attraction with any type of speed or agility. Sounds too complex, not to mention risky.

I actually had a dream about this ride last night....

The story line was similar to Rock'in Roller Coaster, the setting is LA.

You meet Dom and the gang and want to join their crew, but they want to test you to see if you got what it takes. They invite you out to the nights races, similar to the first race of the first movie (all pre show)

You walked out back to an alley where you car awaits (loading) and you head off through the streets around the corner up to a starting line with 3 cars with an audience watching

The race starts and you take off on a straight away taking a quick lead (prop cars take off with you then reset after you pass them)

You take a drifting turn as a black SUV cuts you off and redirects you down a dark alley off the race.

Shaw is in front of you asking for Torretto, you peel out and turn back onto the road and up a circular bridge on-ramp which you drift all the way around (tokyo style).

You pull up onto the lower level of a bridge so their is a floor above you, this is where the 360 screen is, the ceiling is cutoff by the roof of the bridge (to add to effect of a covered vehicle in other rides)

Chase scene ensures on across the bridge (luckily in my dream this wasnt a complete copy of Supercharged)

It got fuzzy here but hooray we beat Shaw, smoke and mirrors and you and launched off the bridge or get across back into the streets and practical sets.

Somehow getting back into the race which brings us down a street through a pass down into the LA River (those concrete flood ways) for a nitro boosting straight away to the finish line!

Where then everyone is celebrating and tells you to come join the party, so you pull up to the back of the building to unload and go to the party.

This whole straight away was underneath the 360 screens so it maximized space and also provided the longest path back for a high speed straighaway.

The ceiling of the straightaway separating the 360 level was made to look like the open sky at night with stars and bridges crossing over the moat.

Vivid as hell I know.

but a guy can wish!

Attachments

• How to make ramps.jpg
    How to make ramps.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 26
  • la river.jpg
    la river.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 4118652342_28936a67f5_b.jpg
    4118652342_28936a67f5_b.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Mike S and violarum
If they were going to change the ride significantly it would have happened before now, before they started preparing the site for the building, and it would be further out than 2018. I think they have the ride that THEY want to put in...

No one really knows for sure at this point, but most likely yes. It's the content of the ride that I find most concerning. A bunch of silly actors projected on saran wrap like USH would be a doggy downer for me.
"Doggy Downer" great phrase. :lol: I may steal that for all my future post references to F&F. .... Fast & Furious AKA Doggy Downer.

Reactions: Mike S and Nico
@Teebin why don't you have any ins when it comes to coasters? Just curious

I guess it's much like the people who live to ride coasters and those that won't touch them. I often have a wee bit of clue that something is going to happen on the coaster front, but that is it.

I am more attracted to fanciful theming and engineering so those tend to be the people I gravitate to.

"Doggy Downer" great phrase. :lol: I may steal that for all my future post references to F&F. .... Fast & Furious AKA Doggy Downer.

Doggy Downer comes from a major part of American pop culture, along with Puppy Uppers. Neither is my idea:

I guess it's much like the people who live to ride coasters and those that won't touch them. I often have a wee bit of clue that something is going to happen on the coaster front, but that is it.

I am more attracted to fanciful theming and engineering so those tend to be the people I gravitate to.

Doggy Downer comes from a major part of American pop culture, along with Puppy Uppers. Neither is my idea:

Volcano Bay would fit for "Puppy Uppers"...Looking good.