Forbidden Journey Refurbishment (Update: Early Dec) | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Forbidden Journey Refurbishment (Update: Early Dec)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has to be a sick joke. I've spent the last 3 months working overtime to replenish my savings to be able to take my gf on her first trip to WW 12/5-12/9. You guys know me. I'm level headed. But I'm livid right now.

I've always felt it very weak that Universal offers almost no notice for its major refurbishments. Hell, Hollywood shut down Revenge of the Mummy for an undetermined amount of time with less than 48 hours notice... and that's one of the park's only major attractions!

Reactions: Jymmymack
I will likely be the last one on the boards to ride before shutdown - have a private work event at IoA the night of 11/30. Hope they keep it open after the general public leaves for the day.

This would've been a great time to have the Christmas offerings ready for WWOHP...but nope. Nothing for the holidays as usual and nothing to lessen the blow of its closure.

I've always felt it very weak that Universal offers almost no notice for its major refurbishments. Hell, Hollywood shut down Revenge of the Mummy for an undetermined amount of time with less than 48 hours notice... and that's one of the park's only major attractions!

It's especially bad when they close an attraction that is at the center of a package they have without notifying those that purchase it. With then posting it a mere two weeks before it closes, I feel cheated.

My gf is going to be devastated. We've postponed this trip 3 times and when we finally get to go, no Hogwarts. No Forbidden Journey. HP means so much to her. Don't know how I'm going to tell her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cwoolboy
It's especially bad when they close an attraction that is at the center of a package they have without notifying those that purchase it. With then posting it a mere two weeks before it closes, I feel cheated.

My gf is going to be devastated. We've postponed this trip 3 times and when we finally get to go, no Hogwarts. No Forbidden Journey. HP means so much to her. Don't know how I'm going to tell her.

Frankly I would call them up and (respectfully) explain your frustrations. I'm sure they would try and find a way to make it up to you.

Call, see what can be done. If you can make it that week right before Christmas it'll still be slow.

Maybe this is more of a @Teebin type question but I have always wondered how they get those trees to grow in Florida. They don't seem like a species that would be happy in the heat of Florida but obviously they grow pretty well.

I have never found out what species those are, but I will tell you that there are actual Xmas tree farms in Florida. The trees that they planted in Hogsmeade are ugly as sin and remind me of an undesirable species up north slanged "hackmatack" or something like that.

If any of you really want to know why they cut the originals down, call CS and ask to speak to Universal Horticulture. If you get through, which I did quite a few times, they will tell you the why.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Depending on the severity of the refurb, they'll have a skeleton crew of students leftover and they'll be able to offer castle tours. Assuming that the refurb is for the actual ride itself. I know that was the plan with this downtime when it was planned in May.

Reactions: Mike S
Just talked to Universal. No castle tours. Completely shut down. They offered a one-time, one-use front of the line pass. What a joke. I'm just going to cancel my trip.

Yeesh, this is why I hate how Universal gives no notice for refurbs. Say what you want about Disney, but they give 6-month notice about their refurbs. Favorite attraction down for refurb, you can schedule around it. Not the case with Universal at all.

Little consolation given it's a $2300 trip. I'm flying from SF.
When I went to Disneyland there were plenty of things closed but I still had a great time and knew I would be there again. I'll be seeing what I missed out on this coming July. Look at the positives.

I assume SF is San Francisco. Is seeing Forbidden Journey in Hollywood not an option?

When I went to Disneyland there were plenty of things closed but I still had a great time and knew I would be there again. I'll be seeing what I missed out on this coming July. Look at the positives.

I assume SF is San Francisco. Is seeing Forbidden Journey in Hollywood not an option?

Disney doesn't announce major closures 2 weeks before they go down. And they don't sell packages to people built around an attraction with the knowledge that it will be down.

I can't afford to go back in 6 months. Or even a year. I saved and planned carefully after a ton of setbacks. I checked closures before I booked two weeks ago just to make sure.

Yes we could visit Hollywood. But it would require a 6 hour drive and and extra $250 per day plus hotel on top of the $2300 I'm dropping to experience the whole thing.

Reactions: captainmoch
Disney doesn't announce major closures 2 weeks before they go down. And they don't sell packages to people built around an attraction with the knowledge that it will be down.

I can't afford to go back in 6 months. Or even a year. I saved and planned carefully after a ton of setbacks. I checked closures before I booked two weeks ago just to make sure.

Yes we could visit Hollywood. But it would require a 6 hour drive and and extra $250 per day plus hotel on top of the $2300 I'm dropping to experience the whole thing.
Who said go back in 6 months? My first trip to Disneyland was in February 2015. My second is over two years later. The rides are not going anywhere. Plenty of other things will still be open and maybe some months later you can go to Hollywood if FJ specifically is so important. You said she's a big Harry Potter fan and Gringotts will still be open. Yes, they should've announced the closure earlier but you can also look at the positives. Enjoy your time with your girlfriend.

Reactions: JPRA513
Who said go back in 6 months? My first trip to Disneyland was in February 2015. My second is over two years later. The rides are not going anywhere. Plenty of other things will still be open and maybe some months later you can go to Hollywood if FJ specifically is so important. You said she's a big Harry Potter fan and Gringotts will still be open. Yes, they should've announced the closure earlier but you can also look at the positives. Enjoy your time with your girlfriend.

The difference here being you didn't have 2 weeks notice for a ride closure, let alone one you purchased an actual package for. That'd be like purchasing an Avatar package then two weeks before you got there they announced that it would go down for a planned refurb, leaving you stuck going on a trip themed to something you wouldn't experience in full. I was told she could "Look up at the castle," by customer service. I appreciate the optimism, but there's a huge difference between the scenario of Disneyland having rides shuttered that were announced months and months in advance and what Universal did here. They purposefully waited to announce it until it was too late to back out.

@Fallow, yeah I wrote an email to someone higher up.

Status
Not open for further replies.