Forbidden Journey Screens | Inside Universal Forums

Forbidden Journey Screens

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 29, 2013
Florida
I've noticed the screens in forbidden journey are Very blurry. Does anyone else think so? Do you think they will upgrade them?

I've noticed the screens in forbidden journey are Very blurry. Does anyone else think so? Do you think they will upgrade them?

This has been heavily discussed since before day one. Doubtful it will be changed or brightened. Many theories why it is the result, but they probably cannot change it anytime in the next 10 years if ever.

I believe its blurry because of the pace of the film/ride. The projectors are already 4k.

They aren't that blurry in reality. And they are as they were intended. Most people don't just have their eyes adjust to the motion or the darkness.

Although the end projector for Dumbledore was replaced recently.

At least one projector in the first dome revolve has been either tinkered with or replaced. The last time I went, that scene had a whole new visual meaning. It was grand.

I think the worst projectors are certainly the intro scene after we say Observatory..You can clearly make out pixels and the effect is just strange in general

At least one projector in the first dome revolve has been either tinkered with or replaced. The last time I went, that scene had a whole new visual meaning. It was grand.

Caro 1 did have one of its projectors replaced not too long ago. Its the brighest one out of the 6. I think it feels kind of off because of how dark the rest of the ride was.

I think the worst projectors are certainly the intro scene after we say Observatory..You can clearly make out pixels and the effect is just strange in general

That bit is true. Definitely not 4K haha.

Why was the chimney effect changed to the odd green effect?

To help with the motion sickness. There was a fear that the twisting and turning through the chimneys was causing people to get sick.

Geeez... you say the numbest things on here. IF SOMEONE PERCEIVES THEM TO BE BLURRY THEN THEY ARE BLURRY! YOU CAN'T BLAME THE GUESTS EYES... FRIGGIN YEEEEEESH!!!!!

I can be pretty cold, yeah. However, this is actually an objective statement. They projectors are in focus. They're designed to have a slight motion blur. Supposedly that helps more with the motion than if everything were super sharp. That being said some of the projectors are darker than others because they're slowly dying.

If someone perceives them to be blurry then they are blurry? How do I know they weren't wearing their glasses? :p

They projectors are in focus. They're designed to have a slight motion blur. Supposedly that helps more with the motion than if everything were super sharp.

100% correct. The perceived blurry image is not out of focus, bad quality, ect. It's done on purpose. The motion blur is supposed to reduce the amount of guest sickness on the ride.

100% correct. The perceived blurry image is not out of focus, bad quality, ect. It's done on purpose. The motion blur is supposed to reduce the amount of guest sickness on the ride.

Interesting...I realize the guests are VERY close to the screens.

Isn't there also a problem with how the projectors are mounted to the top of each dome, spreading out the image in a very diagonal way?

Thats be alot of money, not that they dont have it. How many domes per carousell, & how many carousells? I have an HD projector, & the replacement bulb is 400 DOLLARS, so I can only imangine how much per 4k projector. Just take $1,000 or so & times it by how many screens there are, thatd be alot!!

Thats be alot of money, not that they dont have it. How many domes per carousell, & how many carousells? I have an HD projector, & the replacement bulb is 400 DOLLARS, so I can only imangine how much per 4k projector. Just take $1,000 or so & times it by how many screens there are, thatd be alot!!
Yes it would, but the bulbs run approx. 12 hours/day. That simply is the cost of doing business. But I bet money that FJ will be close to pristine when WWOHP 2.0 opens. They will limp though until next year only replacing what absolutely necessary until then. And I don't blame them because why do it now when they will want it as good as they can get it June 2014.

I spoke of the motion blur two years ago. That is one of the problems with the ride. The motion blur either does not sync with the ride vehicles or it makes no sense at all, as you are traveling at the speed of Harry, he should never blur. If one can see motion blur on the ride, and perceive it as a "blurry image", then it is a terrible rendering/sync mistake. Some, if not all of the motion blur is rendered as if we are sitting still in a theater.

And let me add, about 90% of the riders notice that the screens are grainy, blurry, and/or dim, if you ask them what they thought of the projections.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever mentioned how sometimes the audio is out of syng at the end of the ride when Potter & Dumbledore is thanking you? This has happened to me on several occasion, & is the only simulator that Ive seen go out of synq.

The projections are the worst! I literally close my eyes every single time I'm in front of a screen for the whole time I'm in front of it. Only when the real sets appear do I open my eyes. Sounds crazy but I would throw up otherwise, the animation is sickening. Very blurry, very shaky. I get that it's a flying bench and it should be anything but calm, but those projections really make my stomach turn. Blehhh

Last edited: