Forbidden Journey Screens | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Forbidden Journey Screens

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Has anyone ever mentioned how sometimes the audio is out of syng at the end of the ride when Potter & Dumbledore is thanking you? This has happened to me on several occasion, & is the only simulator that Ive seen go out of synq.

I notice that I think that happens because they just have that video going in a loop and dumbledores mouth is just randomly moving.

What Im thinking is, whoever is wroking on the ride "settings" so to speak is probably in that dark building for extended periods of time, so there eyes have plenty of time to adjust, & set the screens brightness accordingly thinking it looks good enough, wheras its a totally different story for the average park guest who is outside where the bright sun makes your eyes pupils de-dialate, & than suddenly stepping into a dark environment, & there eyes not having much time to re-dialte & adjust, resulting in percieving the screens to be darker than they actually are. As quirky as it sounds, when I go through the line, I close my eyes as much as I can so my pupils can dialate faster so I can see better, & it actually does make it easier to see.

- - - Updated - - -

I also do this whenever I ride Mummy.

What Im thinking is, whoever is wroking on the ride "settings" so to speak is probably in that dark building for extended periods of time, so there eyes have plenty of time to adjust, & set the screens brightness accordingly thinking it looks good enough, wheras its a totally different story for the average park guest who is outside where the bright sun makes your eyes pupils de-dialate, & than suddenly stepping into a dark environment, & there eyes not having much time to re-dialte & adjust, resulting in percieving the screens to be darker than they actually are. As quirky as it sounds, when I go through the line, I close my eyes as much as I can so my pupils can dialate faster so I can see better, & it actually does make it easier to see.

- - - Updated - - -

I also do this whenever I ride Mummy.

Your closing your eyes method sounds interesting I think I will try that next time I go.

Thank you for the info.

My pleasure, I try to help as much as I can. Of course, the other thing I forgot to mention is shades of course. So along with wearing shades & a hat, letting is as little light into your eyes as possible while walking to the building, & closing your eyes while going through the queue, youll see the screens at the brightest one could possibly see them, & maybe enjoy it more.

I really feel like the projectors downgrade the experience I feel like upgrading them would make the ride 100 percent better.

Again the projectors are fine (at most need a new bulb) the issues are with the data they project.

There are times where I have noticed that my eyes have not adjusted enough from the BRIGHT FL sun to the inside darkness. Even though the inside queue is quite long, I often close my eyes in the Griffendor Common Room to counter act this problem.

I spoke of the motion blur two years ago. That is one of the problems with the ride. The motion blur either does not sync with the ride vehicles or it makes no sense at all, as you are traveling at the speed of Harry, he should never blur. If one can see motion blur on the ride, and perceive it as a "blurry image", then it is a terrible rendering/sync mistake. Some, if not all of the motion blur is rendered as if we are sitting still in a theater.

And let me add, about 90% of the riders notice that the screens are grainy, blurry, and/or dim, if you ask them what they thought of the projections.

I agree that it can't be totally right, otherwise so many people wouldn't comment on it. How often do you hear someone say everything in Spiderman looked distorted or squenched?

It is kind of intersting how the Spiderman screens in comparison to FJ is WAAAY better, the projections in Spiderman are just flawless & beautifull. Hopefully Disneyhead is right & they will spruce things up for FJ before HP.2 opens.

If the blur is for motion, then why is there no blur in spiderman?

They use a different effect. Due to the 3D they artificially distort the image so it looks accurate based on your position in front of the screen. But the distortion isn't blur, they stretch and shrink the images on the screen.

They use a different effect. Due to the 3D they artificially distort the image so it looks accurate based on your position in front of the screen. But the distortion isn't blur, they stretch and shrink the images on the screen.

Your also much further from the screen, and they can better match the motion of the RV to the screen (without having to worry about clearances) allowing for a better feel and less vomit (though it still happens.... often)

on a side note, but still on topic, I've always had beef with the finale scene, I just don't understand why they could afford 4K projectors for the domes but the projections for the finale "everyone wave" scene is nothing short of dissapointing. The quality, the contrast, the brightness. I mean all they really need to do is dim the lighting down 50% in this scene and it would probably be that much beter. ugh. ::END RANT::

on a side note, but still on topic, I've always had beef with the finale scene, I just don't understand why they could afford 4K projectors for the domes but the projections for the finale "everyone wave" scene is nothing short of dissapointing. The quality, the contrast, the brightness. I mean all they really need to do is dim the lighting down 50% in this scene and it would probably be that much beter. ugh. ::END RANT::

This, & fixing the out of synq issue, as every once in a while, the audio IS actually in synq here, but rarely.

Definitely agreed. I think the show/room lights reflecting on the screen definitely bring down the quality and kill the "realism" of the projections because it becomes evident that it's a screens :down:

Honestly if it wasn't for the new technology used and the IP, I really think this ride would be a bust. The storyline makes no sense, it gets people sick (not I, but many), it is not thrilling enough for others, the screens appear blurry, the lighting is bad, etc. The castle and line are AMAZING, but the ride is not something I rush to do or must ride when I am there. In fact I have only been on a it a couple times compared to other rides like Mummy and MIB that I have been on a ton since FJ has opened.

Honestly if it wasn't for the new technology used and the IP, I really think this ride would be a bust. The storyline makes no sense, it gets people sick (not I, but many), it is not thrilling enough for others, the screens appear blurry, the lighting is bad, etc. The castle and line are AMAZING, but the ride is not something I rush to do or must ride when I am there. In fact I have only been on a it a couple times compared to other rides like Mummy and MIB that I have been on a ton since FJ has opened.

I was one of those who originally had an issue with the lack of a clear storyline, but after a while I accepted that it doesn't really need a clear storyline to be a successful ride. I am happy with just having a magical journey around Hogwarts and the grounds. To me, the characters and settings are what make the ride a hit for Potter fans. One could argue that there is a storyline in that we're gonna go watch a Quidditch match, then all of a sudden trouble strikes. But yeah, the events are a bit all over the place and jumbled together. Now, could things be better if they improve the tech/settings a bit? I think so.

How about the BIGGEST incontinuity where when your flying with Harry, its obviously daytime, yet in the forrest & womping willow scenes, its suddenly night time? That might not be whats intended, especially due to lighting issues, but from a spectators point of view, thats how I see it.

Each to their own I guess....