Forbidden Journey Screens | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Forbidden Journey Screens

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The new screens look nice and bright..almost too bright haha..the ride film is still a little strange and still feels blurry, but overall still an amazing ride of course

Hopefully phase 3 will involve a major upgrade with putting in all the things they couldnt due to budget, such as the moving stair cases, more dementors & with more movement, etc.

Negative. Moving Staircases won't happen. There's no real area to put them in the castle with consistent theming. Plus its a waste of money. There's plenty of dementors. In fact there's 9 of them. Its just that you can't see 4 of them unless the lights are on. Bliss lighting (which is what allows the guests to see the extras) won't ever be turned on. WB is adamant about it never coming back. They won't have hands ever. Also movement will not increase. In fact the opposite. As part of the pending opening of USJ's WWoHP, motion will decrease. The testing on the new carousels was already locked down and they already tried a new profile where they were trying to disable 2 of the 5 axis of motion. They constantly tweak motion, just not how we want.

I think it's safe to assume FJ will see a substantial refurbishment right before the opening of Diagon Alley, right?

Yes, but not in the way you think. It'll mostly be queue improvements and BoH upgrades. You'll most likely see additional work done on the present effects to make a smooth opening, but other than that, do not expect much.

The new screens look nice and bright..almost too bright haha..the ride film is still a little strange and still feels blurry, but overall still an amazing ride of course

They're currently in the process of painting the carousels in a new reflective paint to make the screens appear brighter. Its implemented on some of the Carousel 2 domes, and making its way to the others slowly.

In fact there's 9 of them. Its just that you can't see 4 of them unless the lights are on. Bliss lighting (which is what allows the guests to see the extras) won't ever be turned on. WB is adamant about it never coming back. They won't have hands ever.

So a couple of questions in regards to this because I find it fascinating. Where are the additional 4. I know after you enter Slytherin's mouth there's the one that does the soul sucking and you can see one sort of floating behind that. Then as you pass through the smoke curtain that shows your face I have on numerous occasions looked up and seen two very dimly lit (as in, you can see them but the lighting is not meant to draw your eye to them) Dementors. Where are the others? Were they really deemed that scary that the lighting should be turned off? What was so terrifying about them versus the ones that were allowed to stay. Also, why DID they take the hands off of them? And why will they never be back?

I know I am probably crazy, but after riding today I felt like some areas of the ride such as the dragon bridge to the womping willow area had different motions. I was even able to get a good look at the bench behind us without trying due to the ride motion.

I know I am probably crazy, but after riding today I felt like some areas of the ride such as the dragon bridge to the womping willow area had different motions. I was even able to get a good look at the bench behind us without trying due to the ride motion.

Which seat did you have? I rode a few weeks ago in the far right and I could only see the benches ahead of us at the on-ride camera (don't think the seat matters for this one) and right before being tilted up in front of the Whomping Willow. All the motions outside the domes felt the same as when I rode last year. Even if some re-profiling was done, it seems like it would be extremely difficult to see any benches behind you since the vehicle keeps you looking forward. Maybe if you were in the far left at the Whomping Willow scene?

Last edited:
Which seat did you have? I rode a few weeks ago in the far right and I could only see the benches ahead of us at the on-ride camera (don't think the seat matters for this one) and right before being tilted up in front of the Whomping Willow. All the motions outside the domes felt the same as when I rode last year. Even if some re-profiling was done, it seems like it would be extremely difficult to see any benches behind you since the vehicle keeps you looking forward. Maybe if you were in the far left at the Whomping Willow scene?

I was on the far left, but I don't remember which scene it was now. I will be back next week so I will check again then.

Rode it today and let me say it was bad. One dome was too bright, the other very fuzzy while HP trying to getting away from the dementors. I guess riding it after transformers wasnt a good idea. They really have to fix it asap. While riding I thought of a cool effect they should add. Near the end when u are flying towards the castle and scoop down above the lake, they should mist the bottom of the bench, like at your feet, as if you were skimming right above the water.

^ that's the ride kids... that is what they were able to provide. The whole thing is a miss-mess even though the the ride vehicles are top of the game, never before seen. For some reason, they were forced to screw it up... from day one. It is a mushy experience at best.

^ that's the ride kids... that is what they were able to provide. The whole thing is a miss-mess even though the the ride vehicles are top of the game, never before seen. For some reason, they were forced to screw it up... from day one. It is a mushy experience at best.

I'm hoping we eventually see a Kuka-based ride with 100% physical sets. FJ feels so nerfed to me in the dome sections because of the poor (relatively) projection quality and restricted movement.

Rode it today and let me say it was bad. One dome was too bright, the other very fuzzy while HP trying to getting away from the dementors. I guess riding it after transformers wasnt a good idea. They really have to fix it asap. While riding I thought of a cool effect they should add. Near the end when u are flying towards the castle and scoop down above the lake, they should mist the bottom of the bench, like at your feet, as if you were skimming right above the water.

You were unlucky and must have gotten a mix of old and upgraded domes, simce they seem to still be in the process of tweaking them all. I've ridden FJ dozens of times in the last month, and when you get all upgraded domes the visual improvement is remarkable.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I rode FJ twice today and the domes are now TOO bright. The ride is supposed to take place at twilight on a stormy day, but now it looks like high noon...

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I rode FJ twice today and the domes are now TOO bright. The ride is supposed to take place at twilight on a stormy day, but now it looks like high noon...

I agree. I went on it last Thursday and the Quidditch scene was so bright, Malfoy pretty much blende info the screen. He looked like a floating blonde wig.

I'm at IoA right now and there is something wrong with the ride. Lines are at a stand still and they keep giving delay updates on the intercom.

Does it not give that feeling of being really thrown around in some scenes any more with the new profiling? I really liked that, it'll be a shame if it's been removed :huh: