Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 114 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No recent demolition permits up on the City's permitting site. The next permit will be DEM2017-00094
What if they were adding things to the area? Still probably need a demolition permit if even a single thing had to be moved?

Last edited:
I think that's gone way over my head but it's catchy and I like it.

To explain a bit why I think this needs to happen sooner than later is that I think the IP is going to become stale. Sure, it's doing well just now but if this is a project after Nintendo, what year are we thinking? 2022? 12 years after the last film and it's not like Avatar where sequels are being planned. Fantastic Beasts is obviously happening but I think that will be something that's for the new park and kept separate from Potter.
I heard there is a House Elf sequel Wizarding World movie series in pre production. A themed land on that movie series is about where they live and how they revolt against their oppressors . It will be a hyper X coaster with 3 launches connecting the new theme park to be build to IOA and a short boat ride with one AA that whines about their building a wall to keep the wizards out. The first movie will be Rise of the Planet of the House Elfs. It's going to be huge (that's what my source said when he twittered it to me). ;)

Potter doesn't get stale. It are amazingly themed lands and house awesome rides. If Disney taught us anything it is that something like that will alive beyond movies, books or hypes.

If Disney taught us anything it is that something like that will alive beyond movies, books or hypes.

Oh I thought it was if you have something good milk it for as long as you can: Toy Story 4, Avengers 3, Iron Man 3, Captain America 3, Thor 3, 3 new Star Wars movies, and how many Pirates of the Caribbean movies have they made again?

That was pretty good about the Rise of the planet of the House Elfs though :lol:

Last edited:
Just asking a question for a friend. Seems to be flags and paint in back of house areas behind DC. Movement soon perhaps?

I definitely don't know the layout of the backstage areas, but if its just backstage it could be a lot of things that have nothing to do with DC. It could be as simple as surveying for utility construction. Anything you have to do blueprints for will likely need surveying for, which would be long before any construction. It could be that the main property markers are in that area and they had to work from there to the ride area as well. I'd defer to @epcyclopedia though, as he definitely is the expert for that part of the park.

I also don't know what to make of the flags on the footers at all. If the coaster was going, I'd assume any flags wouldn't be near the coaster at all as it would be completely gone unless they're planning on doing the same to DC as Hulk which I can't see either.

If they are in the design phase, they could use the footers as a fixed point to survey off of. It doesn't matter if it'll be gone later if they are just using it to figure out boundaries and elevations. I know that B&M, for one, designs coasters to fit the location they are going. To do that you need a pretty accurate layout. Easier to add 10 ft to a support than it is to bring the ground up 10 foot. That would apply to a lot of engineering and construction projects.

Reactions: JoeCamel
How big of an expansion though? Taking over all of the Lost Continent and Fear Factor too? I mean yes it is a great franchise but I am thinking that when Nintendo opens it is going to steal a good deal of the spotlight. Way more gamers than Potter fans, I could be wrong though
I doubted that initially but just pokemon has earned more than Potter. Amazing! Guess that is what I get for never playing games

Reactions: Mike S and bandit14
I doubted that initially but just pokemon has earned more than Potter. Amazing! Guess that is what I get for never playing games

That is kinda what I am saying Nintendo has been around a lot longer than Potter and has a way bigger fan base. So unless Universal is extremely good at multitasking with 2 big projects at the same time I think it has to be one or the other. More reason why I think DC might be sticking around a little longer because they already have so much on their plate unless they plan on blowing through it. There already are plans for a Donkey Kong themed coaster, how quickly do we think Universal can put new plans into action for DC?

That is kinda what I am saying Nintendo has been around a lot longer than Potter and has a way bigger fan base. So unless Universal is extremely good at multitasking with 2 big projects at the same time I think it has to be one or the other. More reason why I think DC might be sticking around a little longer because they already have so much on their plate unless they plan on blowing through it. There already are plans for a Donkey Kong themed coaster, how quickly do we think Universal can put new plans into action for DC?
I think UC is more than capable of doing both projects. They will be helped by Nintendo as both companies have extensive resources to put to their project. Lets see what they build in Japan as a guide, it is first after all.

Well whatever happens to the once Dueling Dragons happens, it saddens me to say that ever since the very poor Potter revamp and it stopped dueling it has lost its soul. Have been going to IOA for over 10 years and miss how the Dragons once were. If they revamp it properly this time I will be excited and if they tear it down for a dark coaster at least I just got my Annual pass for Busch Gardens/ Sea World.

As far as the Potter retheme, I do like the shadow of the dragon flying over the station area projected on the cloth roof, but I think most people miss that little bit of theming.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I really never understood the sadness over not dueling. It's the same ride except you don't "almost" hit the other train. Literally nothing else changes about it.

If you remember correctly the whole ride is designed to duel and even the lift itself is designed to slow down one car to allow the other to catch up so that they leave at the same time. All that planning and technology has now been put to waste.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Oh I remember what it was, but still don't see why it's such a big deal they don't duel anymore. That's just me thought it seems.

Eh, it was what made it unique but then the loss of possibly the best queue amongst both parks was the real kicker.

Oh yeah I was definitely also referring to that, that ice section was amazing as well as the 2 giant dragons out front. I think they re purposed all the skulls and used them in King Kong though.

If you remember correctly the whole ride is designed to duel and even the lift itself is designed to slow down one car to allow the other to catch up so that they leave at the same time. All that planning and technology has now been put to waste.

If I'm not mistaken, it was taken away to prevent the events from 2011 to not happen again. Combined with the poor execution of the retheming, it's a shell of it's former shelf, and that I do not get, like at all; why people think fondly of Dragon Challenge as it is now. And that, I doubt they'd go in the effort of doing a Hulk-vamp, when doing something as thrilling but indoors would be the better option.

If I'm not mistaken, it was taken away to prevent the events from 2011 to not happen again.

Is that not what the metal detectors are for at every ride now? Surely it is safe enough to duel again is it not, I know it doesn't matter but just wondering?

Status
Not open for further replies.