Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 115 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that not what the metal detectors are for at every ride now? Surely it is safe enough to duel again is it not, I know it doesn't matter but just wondering?

It'd be wise to keep in mind, if I'm not mistaken; that the metal detectors weren't added until last year.

Which, was about 4 to 5 years.

It may of also been a matter of that it is the next potter project regardless of what it'll even be, as it seems like Universal is trying to figure out what to do.

As far as the Potter retheme, I do like the shadow of the dragon flying over the station area projected on the cloth roof, but I think most people miss that little bit of theming.

Count me in as someone who missed this. Please explain... :)

Count me in as someone who missed this. Please explain... :)
The load room, (where a team member asks how many in your party and tells you what row to go to,) has projections of shadows of dragons flying above you.

The room is themed like the towers of the castle, and draped down as a "roof" are some cloths hanging above you, stretched out from the towers to the load rows. You'll hear a dragon flapping its wings and roaring above you. If you look up you'll see the silhouette of a dragon landing, roaring, and then flying away. It's quite impressive, and missed by nearly everyone that enters.

I tried to find video of it online, but due to the heavy restrictions on loose items I don't think it even exists.

EDIT: Found a tiny bit of it at the end of this video, around 3:20:

Reactions: Skold and snayberry
Anybody have a video of the old queue that people seem say it's the main reason why the ride is bad now?
Not in the best quality, but here's one:

EDIT: And I do think the ride suffers (a little) without the dueling feature. There's a couple close calls you no longer get without two trains on the track. Montu's track layout is a better example of the same ride system utilized with only one train in mind. Dragons was intended for two and it shows in a couple places. There's still some great stuff on the ride, but I understand why some are disappointed in it not dueling.

Not in the best quality, but here's one:

EDIT: And I do think the ride suffers (a little) without the dueling feature. There's a couple close calls you no longer get without two trains on the track. Montu's track layout is a better example of the same ride system utilized with only one train in mind. Dragons was intended for two and it shows in a couple places. There's still some great stuff on the ride, but I understand why some are disappointed in it not dueling.

One of my favorite memories is sitting front row and going full speed at the other train, seeing the faces of the folks in front of you, making eye contact and having this look of "oh my god!!!" then you see nothing but the bottoms of their shoes as you loop. Was so cool!

I welcome Potter phase 3 but worry if it'll basically condemn all the other Islands to more years without updates. Marvel, Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park are looking jaded and to be honest stuck in the early naughties. Time has not been good on these areas.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I welcome Potter phase 3 but worry if it'll basically condemn all the other Islands to more years without updates. Marvel, Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park are looking jaded and to be honest stuck in the early naughties. Time has not been good on these areas.
Really hoping for another JP ride, tied in with JW is fine....I love that franchise so much, it was such an absolute smash hit, and is super relevant now, would be great to see if built up to a land bigger than it is currently.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
Really hoping for another JP ride, tied in with JW is fine....I love that franchise so much, it was such an absolute smash hit, and is super relevant now, would be great to see if built up to a land bigger than it is currently.

Marni mentioned on magic that Uni were sitting on plans for Marvel and JP but taking their sweet time. If this Dragons Challenge rumour is true...then where do the other areas fit into the picture?

I think Potter already makes the rest of the park look dated...add another 3-4 years to to picture and I don't think it'll be great...

Marni mentioned on magic that Uni were sitting on plans for Marvel and JP but taking their sweet time. If this Dragons Challenge rumour is true...then where do the other areas fit into the picture?

I think Potter already makes the rest of the park look dated...add another 3-4 years to to picture and I don't think it'll be great...
Great point, the more they keep adding all this highly detailed incredible harry potter stuff its going to take away from the rest of the older rides/lands.

Like tinting the windows of a 1980 corolla and putting diamond spinner rims on it lol

Reactions: UAN17

I don't think Universal could even have predicted how relevant some of the IPs in IOA have become again. It's a good place to be for the people at Universal creative.

That's a really good point. Ten years ago, who woulda thought.

If IOA didn't exist, you can guarantee that if Universal were building a new park now, JP, Potter and Marvel would be built (Obviously Marvel wouldn't work but you know what I mean).

I think if DC goes, I'd be happy if a coaster wasn't built but only if a coaster was built in JP. I think the Flying Dinosaur would be a good fit plus it would add a dynamic to the park entrance when you look over the water.

Reactions: Alicia
Status
Not open for further replies.