Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 117 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And to think about a bit more, I actually wouldn't be a tiny bit surprised that the SFX coaster may have a shaded outdoor portion, similar to what we have seen from Vekoma by Tron Lightcycle Power Run, or the (as I mentioned before), first iteration of the SFX technology.

As seen here..

2015-11-05_16.png

sd-tron.jpg

Reactions: Mad Dog
I did the wing coaster at Hershey Park when it opened a few years ago. It was nothing special. Never even bothered a second ride on it....Coasters are for Six Flags & Cedar Fair.
I have never heard anyone have a meh reaction to this coaster. Either people love it for the intensity or loathe it. I personally hate it because the restraints ruin the ride. They staple your thighs in uncomfortably and throw your upper body around like a rag doll with nothing to hold on to. The sigh of relief you hear when the restraints literally pop off people at the end of the ride really sells the awfulness. I wish it had the B&M hyper buckets. This is also the last major coaster Intamin has built in the US.

Yes, I had read the issues about the restraints before I rode it, but they didn't bother me much. Didn't realize I was in the middle on this, but yeah, meh, kind of summed up my feelings. Hershey has some really good coasters. This one did nothing for me. I got off it, and my feeling basically was, "I stood in a long line for that? Time to move on to more interesting coasters." I thought it was really over hyped....Anyway, my coaster days are behind me. I rode many of the very best over the years. Many, many days at Cedar Point, King's Island, BGW,Hershey, Geauga Lake, Kennywood. Maybe it's age, but outdoor coasters don't do anything for me anymore. Universal & Disney have spoiled me silly with themed attractions of all types.

Reactions: Jones14 and SkiBum
Yes, BGW terrain is awesome for coasters. The old Loch Ness still is the winner with those drops into the lake. Big Bad Wolf drop into the lake was cool also.

Loch Ness uses its location well. Big Bad Wolf's run through the village was so much better. The drop to the lake was, to me, irritating because the ride ended immediately after. All that speed wasted.

Using the Dynamic SFX coaster, they could go with the sideways drop or some other interesting maneuvers. This could allow monsters from, say, the Forbidden Forest, to knock a coaster off of a "trail". Possibilities are endless but money isn't.

Yes, I had read the issues about the restraints before I rode it, but they didn't bother me much. Didn't realize I was in the middle on this, but yeah, meh, kind of summed up my feelings. Hershey has some really good coasters. This one did nothing for me. I got off it, and my feeling basically was, "I stood in a long line for that? Time to move on to more interesting coasters." I thought it was really over hyped....Anyway, my coaster days are behind me. I rode many of the very best over the years. Many, many days at Cedar Point, King's Island, BGW,Hershey, Geauga Lake, Kennywood. Maybe it's age, but outdoor coasters don't do anything for me anymore. Universal & Disney have spoiled me silly with themed attractions of all types.

I still like a mix of both. A good thrilling coaster mixed with great dark rides is a well-rounded park. IOA had that with Hulk and DC along with the other rides. Thus, I really hope that DC's replacement has a good thrill quality to it. It doesn't need a 200 ft first drop or ten loops but some fast moving elements would go nicely.

Reactions: bandit14
I've never been on a wing coaster but it sounds like a love it or hate it thing.

Just went to Sea World today and Manta is awesome!! Yes it is a flying coaster not a wing but I thoroughly enjoyed it, would have ridden it 3 times in a row if it wasn't starting to get crowded. Of all of the different coasters I have done a flying is definitely unique and awesome but having ridden all the coasters at Sea World today multiples times I could care less if IOA and Universal have any coasters. Really starting to jump on the idea train for an SFX replacement for DC if there is one.
The reason I think the thrill ride ( roller coasters/ Doctor Doom) attendance is so low like I keep saying is because of the audience that is being attracted in. I have looked at the app almost everyday and which rides have high wait times? Usually goes something like this Minions, Gringotts, Kong, Transformers, Forbidden Journey, Hulk, Mummy, Hollywood Rip, Simpsons, Shrek, Spiderman, DC, and Doctor Doom about that order for wait times. Usually Doctor Doom and DC have the lowest wait times while the indoor screen rides and the water rides have the higher ones.
I remember when I used to go years ago Dragons and Doctor Doom had way higher waits.

Last edited:
Loch Ness uses its location well. Big Bad Wolf's run through the village was so much better. The drop to the lake was, to me, irritating because the ride ended immediately after. All that speed wasted.

Using the Dynamic SFX coaster, they could go with the sideways drop or some other interesting maneuvers. This could allow monsters from, say, the Forbidden Forest, to knock a coaster off of a "trail". Possibilities are endless but money isn't.
If it is indeed a SFX indoor HP themed coaster, this could be an awesome attraction that satisfies, and excites, both thrill seekers and dark ride lovers. Win win for two major segments of the Universal theme park audience and a respite from a screen dominated attraction. Though I could envision a couple of Mummy type brief action screen scenes. This could easily be what thrill fans thought Gringotts would be, but was sacrificed to have a family oriented attraction.

This could easily be what thrill fans thought Gringotts would be, but was sacrificed to have a family oriented attraction.

To be honest I was kinda disappointed in Gringotts, yes the whole track tilting was pretty cool but would I ride it again? Only if I was passing by that area and it had no wait otherwise I would keep walking.

If it is indeed a SFX indoor HP themed coaster, this could be an awesome attraction that satisfies, and excites, both thrill seekers and dark ride lovers. Win win for two major segments of the Universal theme park audience and a respite from a screen dominated attraction. Though I could envision a couple of Mummy type brief action screen scenes. This could easily be what thrill fans thought Gringotts would be, but was sacrificed to have a family oriented attraction.

Especially from some of the leaks about the Ferrari SFXCoaster, this thing has the full potential to be crazy in what it offers; even with what we have seen from the promo material that Dynamic has had for it.

Something else Kraken only being 1 newer than DC is a way smoother ride, maybe its because I was younger the last time I rode both fire and ice but when I rode them a few weeks ago I got off saying wow I don't remember it being that rough. I think its time but does anyone think it might be possible Disney purchased the SFX coaster to compete?

Something else Kraken only being 1 newer than DC is a way smoother ride, maybe its because I was younger the last time I rode both fire and ice but when I rode them a few weeks ago I got off saying wow I don't remember it being that rough. I think its time but does anything think it might be possible Disney purchased the SFX coaster to compete?

The only thing rumored to be a coaster that hasn't been announced yet, is Guardians.

And I would have to imagine, with the work being done since Grizzly; Disney is going to go with Vekoma for the coaster and not Dynamic.

I thought Guardians is taking over Tower of Terror or is that only in Hollywood?

Guardians of The Galaxy will not be taking over the HWS Tower, and rumored to be replacing the Epcot attraction; "Ellen's Energy Adventure" into the form of a rollercoaster.

As for the other versions, I'd imagine Tokyo is safe, so expect Paris to change theirs in the future, as Anaheim is the only park with Mission Breakout as it stands now.

Guardians of The Galaxy will not be taking over the HWS Tower, and rumored to be replacing the Epcot attraction; "Ellen's Energy Adventure" into the form of a rollercoaster.

As for the other versions, I'd imagine Tokyo is safe, so expect Paris to change theirs in the future, as Anaheim is the only park with Mission Breakout as it stands now.

Meaningless

Last edited:
That is the attraction currently at Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim, the second gate of the Disneyland Resort.

Ohh ok my bad didn't mean to get too far off topic and appreciate the link but I am good. Hope this doesn't still stay off topic but I just saw about Diseny doing Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land, yes Universal is getting Nintendo but is there any possibility of Universal pushing for the 3rd park I keep hearing about and if there is going to be any outdoor coaster it goes there and DC is replaced with SFX and more shops which equals $$$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.