Future of Shrek Attraction | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Shrek Attraction

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

At Universal Orlando would you close Shrek 4-D?

• Yes

Votes: 65 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Update/New ride for Shrek franchise

Votes: 23 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 10, 2013
Avalon Park
Orlando Sentinel has reported that Merlin Entertainment( Company doing the Orlando Eye and LEGOLAND Florida) has signed a deal with Dreamworks to do Shrek's Far Far Away Adventure which is 20,00 square foot, "interactive and live experience", based on the Shrek Franchise . They plan to open a total of 6 attractions by 2023 with one in London Bank ( Where the London Eye Observation, Sea Life Aquarium,London Dungeon ) Being first,with Orlando maybe becoming home to one of these 6. If this happens what would be the future of the Shrek at Universal... Possible answers?... Thoughts?

I think it will stay. Most tourists love the ride plus it is pretty popular. I know a lot of the locals here want it gone, but that's most likely because you're tired of it. Truth is, although Shrek isn't the newest thing, it was one of the biggest animations ever. It is far more popular than Despicable Me and the guests still see the ride as modern. I think Shrek 5 will come about again. Or atleast a donkey or Puss in Boots spin off. Shrek is safe in my books. :pop:

Reactions: natespf
If anything, this news just proves Shrek's continued relevancy and popularity...making it even more apparent that it should stay at UOR and they wouldnt be too smart to remove it just yet.

If anything, this news just proves Shrek's continued relevancy and popularity...making it even more apparent that it should stay at UOR and they wouldnt be too smart to remove it just yet.
Agreed. I go during off season and the lines are fairly long. The pre show's a lot of fun, and if you're a tourist & only seeing the show once every few years or even once a year, the film & effects are still entertaining. Plus the Donkey Meet & Greet is one of the funniest shows to watch while passing by. Shrek is still a relevant IP. Of course, if you're a local AP, almost all show type attractions would probably get redundant after repeated viewing. I would think the allure for tourists is the big picture for this attraction.

Agreed. I go during off season and the lines are fairly long. The pre show's a lot of fun, and if you're a tourist & only seeing the show once every few years or even once a year, the film & effects are still entertaining. Plus the Donkey Meet & Greet is one of the funniest shows to watch while passing by. Shrek is still a relevant IP. Of course, if you're a local AP, almost all show type attractions would probably get redundant after repeated viewing. I would think the allure for tourists is the big picture for this attraction.

I'm an AP but the show type attractions still draw me, I just think Shrek is the worst one remaining. Especially when it is completely surrounded by better 3-D attractions. But I do agree that the Shrek IP is something Universal isn't going to just get rid of, it's still somewhat popular and I still see Shrek's face associated with USF a lot. Hell, my 2013 pass holder had Shrek and Donkey on it. I just think from my standpoint, the attraction is outdated and outclassed by multiple attractions within feet of it at it's own park. But I can understand that tourists may enjoy it and it still serves a purpose as a people eater. I just hope by the time Universal's big spending/building spree is over this will have been replaced with something unique. I still don't see this Legoland thing having an effect on the USF attraction though.

I really think Shrek is a strong IP capable of headlining several attractions - see Universal Singapore's Far Far Away area to see what I mean - but this attraction really is an embarrassment. The film's narrative is riddled with plot holes and cheap tricks that aren't even executed ironically, and there's a complete disconnect from the preshow and the events of the main show... as if the two were developed separately. The interior theater is hilariously bare (probably a result of the original effort's low budget; remember, this was originally just a retrofit of the existing Hitchcock 3D space). Shrek is capable of showcasing a fantastic attraction (imagine a dark ride of some sort, or even just a more elaborate theater experience that truly earns the "4D" title), but as others have mentioned, it's pitiful that Terminator, an attraction that came 7+ years earlier, outclasses it in tech and imagination by a mile.

A side note - it still amazes me that when the attraction first opened, a majority of the Hitchcock stuff still existed, mothballed, beyond the theater's walls. A real shame they eventually had to bulldoze it for a second theater... it would've been nice if we somehow could've kept a Hitchcock exhibit in the same building, sans The Birds.

As an AP this is the only attraction I've done once and only once. Terribly executed. The IP deserves a dark ride.

I could see Far Far Away being part of the third gate...I believe Shrek will stay as it is for a while though..maybe updated projectors and equipment, but otherwise it is still popular and is a marketable IP so it isn't going anywhere regardless of how much us fans cry about it...

Last summer I went with a couple who had never been to Universal before. Shrek was their favorite atraction in the park.

Yes, Shrek is literally surrounded by 3D attractions that most would consider better than Shrek. However, not everyone can withstand or enjoy the intensity (yes, there are people out there who consider Despicable Me and Terminator intense) of those other attractions.

Just a thought. I know a lot of people around these parts don't care for Shrek as it stands, but a lot of people do.

-Andy

I'm an AP but the show type attractions still draw me, I just think Shrek is the worst one remaining. Especially when it is completely surrounded by better 3-D attractions. But I do agree that the Shrek IP is something Universal isn't going to just get rid of, it's still somewhat popular and I still see Shrek's face associated with USF a lot. Hell, my 2013 pass holder had Shrek and Donkey on it. I just think from my standpoint, the attraction is outdated and outclassed by multiple attractions within feet of it at it's own park. But I can understand that tourists may enjoy it and it still serves a purpose as a people eater. I just hope by the time Universal's big spending/building spree is over this will have been replaced with something unique. I still don't see this Legoland thing having an effect on the USF attraction though.

How can you say that when T2 is still standing? The ride is still a modern simulator and it draws in boat loads of people out of the midway. Plus, isn't it still a ride they show on their advertisement? US has no need to dump something like shrek just yet considering there are much more important things going on.

I can't wait to be one of the people who are pushing for DM to go in a few years! :wave:

At the time Shrek 4D first came out 3D movies seemed special because they were a rarity. Now days 3D movies are common at your local cinema. The 3D novelty is wearing off. D box motion seats that have a wider range of motion than Shrek's are now starting to pop up at some theaters. Theme parks are suppose to offer a premium experience that you can't get anywhere else. If a movie theater can match a major theme park attraction in quality, there is a problem.

Plot issues? We're talking about a theme park ride, not an Oscar contender. You don't think it's possible we could be nitpicking it a bit? Let's talk plot holes then. In Spider Man, how do we fall from a building, and come to an abrupt stop without dying? It doesn't matter if we're stopped by a web or the ground, we should be dead. And that's widely regarded as one of the greatest theme park attractions ever. Let's gain a little perspective here.

I'm only able to visit once a year. And while Shrek isn't the best attraction in the park, which doesn't make it bad, there can only be one "best" attraction anywhere, it's still an enjoyable ride. It's not one of those rides that, when planning my vacation, I'm viewing with huge anticipation like some of the newer ones, but I still like it a lot.

I think the IP of Shrek will stay for a while. The IP is popular enough for Merlin to invest in and I'm sure they tested that on the market first so Universal has no reason to trough it out of the window. The expansion of the brand by Merlin only fuels the excitement to add on their love for Shrek when they arrive at Universal.

The Shrek meet and greet had a beautiful upgrade just last year and looks wonderful.
The movie itself on the other hand is getting old and every fan has seen it as an extra on the DVD's and/or blu-rays.
So the movie needs to be replaced with a new and unique one, throw in a HD projector and more in theatre effects and Universal has a new unique attraction to promote without spending to much money.
As I hope they'll tear down 1 movie theatre to expand the Despicable Me experience in line with the Simpson's upgrade I think the whole area could have a nice animated movie atmosphere.

I've been saying all of this for a long time now and met with a lot of disagreement, now all of a sudden everyone is on the same boat...hmmmmmmm :lol:

How can you say that when T2 is still standing? The ride is still a modern simulator and it draws in boat loads of people out of the midway. Plus, isn't it still a ride they show on their advertisement? US has no need to dump something like shrek just yet considering there are much more important things going on.

I can't wait to be one of the people who are pushing for DM to go in a few years! :wave:

Shrek isn't really a ride, not enough movement to classify as a motion simulator. It is a 4-D theater show, 3-D film with silly little special effects. They were a neat thing for a while but are just outdated. With DM you have an actual simulator (though not a great one), T2 is also no ride but the interactions between 3-D film and live actors is pretty cool and unique. With that said, I still think T2 should be on the chopping block after Shrek. Then there is Transformers right behind Shrek that is a full blown 3-D ride that mixes simulation and dark ride. I get that it is family friendly, but so is Despicable Me. I think they can find better use for the land Shrek takes up.