Future of Shrek Attraction | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Shrek Attraction

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

At Universal Orlando would you close Shrek 4-D?

• Yes

Votes: 65 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Update/New ride for Shrek franchise

Votes: 23 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know. I think a good 4D theater show should still be a theme park staple. I don't think the idea is necessarily antiquated. But 10 years+ later and I don't think it's too much to ask for another 12-minute film, even if it is another Shrek.

Last edited:
Plot issues? We're talking about a theme park ride, not an Oscar contender. You don't think it's possible we could be nitpicking it a bit? Let's talk plot holes then. In Spider Man, how do we fall from a building, and come to an abrupt stop without dying? It doesn't matter if we're stopped by a web or the ground, we should be dead. And that's widely regarded as one of the greatest theme park attractions ever. Let's gain a little perspective here.

you're confusing plot holes with realism. Spiderman is a comic book world.

The plot issue I'm referring to is starting out in the preshow torture chamber, then going into a theater to watch a film that has nothing at all to do with the preshow, as someone else mentioned.

you're confusing plot holes with realism. Spiderman is a comic book world.

The plot issue I'm referring to is starting out in the preshow torture chamber, then going into a theater to watch a film that has nothing at all to do with the preshow, as someone else mentioned.

Additionally, the motivations of Lord Farquaad make no sense. I can accept he's a ghost - fairy tale plot device, sure, in line with the rest of the Shrek universe - but he died at the end of the first film wanting to kill Fiona because he thought she was hideous. She's still an ogress - so why is he at all interested in her? And what purpose would marrying her serve, seeing as he's dead? These aren't nit picks, they're very obvious plot points that don't ring true to the character at all. The narrative of this attraction clearly had very little thought put into it (versus Despicable Me, which integrates quite well into its larger film franchise).

Does it make sense for Universal to continue with Sherk 4-D if this Merlin atraction blows it out of the water?

I have supported this attraction on numerous occasions, and still do. I find it entertaining. Are people really critiquing the plot holes of a 3-D family theme park attraction intended more so for children? I have a strong sense that most 4-10 year olds don't over analyze the story nearly as much. The attraction is popular enough to warrant it's continuation, and the franchise may be gaining steam once again as Shrek 5 looks like a strong reality.

In a theme park filled with height restrictions, Universal needs a family-friendly, crowd-eating Shrek 4-D.

Shrek is still something people know and love. People still use Shrek DVDs to entertain their children. More people know and love Shrek than Woody Woodpecker...

^Shrek is still a relevant and popular IP. Will it be replaced eventually? Of course. But I don't think it'll be in the near future. Obviously after Potter, all signs point to KidsZone being the next project. After that though, it could be anything. Shrek? Twister? Disaster? T-2?

^Shrek is still a relevant and popular IP. Will it be replaced eventually? Of course. But I don't think it'll be in the near future. Obviously after Potter, all signs point to KidsZone being the next project. After that though, it could be anything. Shrek? Twister? Disaster? T-2?

Given that they still want to do another Shrek movie (http://www.movieweb.com/news/shrek-5-will-happen-says-dreamworks-animation-ceo) I would put the attraction near the bottom of that list. At best it will get a new film, at worse it will linger until the popularity is completely dead.
Speaking of new movies, the Terminator series is getting another film so I doubt that attraction will be replaced, although a new movie/experience may be added.
I am hoping Twister is next on the chopping block, but I am not sure what they could put into that space.

Yup, the biggest animated chain in this millennium is too tired...

Shrek is still relevant and it is still going to be kicking A$$ for years to come!

Why does everything become an emotional sarcastic argument with some of you people? lol

Shrek is tired in my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Why does everything become an emotional sarcastic argument with some of you people? lol

Shrek is tired in my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Because it is the same old nonsense over and over again. Read back over the comments, some people say that it is their personal opinion that they see Shrek unfavorably and other people say that the general public still sees Shrek favorably. So is Universal going to do what you want, or what most of their visitors want?

I am not saying Shrek is not going to be leaving the park, but it still has some time left. It is fun to think about what could go there, but Universal does not even know at this point (and plans are ever changing even during construction). We do know that nothing is going to happen there until the current projects play out. I am for discussions, but that means something more than "I don't like it so they must be tearing it down soon". And if an opinion is not inline with that of the general public repeating the opinion does not change that.

I'm not trying to tear anyone down here, but if people can understand and distinguish between facts and opinions we can have more interesting discussions.

Reactions: TylerDurden
My suggestion: if they want to keep the IP of shrek, fine. But I would suggest improving the facade like they did with DM, and help get that castle type look or something....then completely renew the inside/change it. Its just tired and simply old

My suggestion: if they want to keep the IP of shrek, fine. But I would suggest improving the facade like they did with DM, and help get that castle type look or something....then completely renew the inside/change it. Its just tired and simply old

An update will happen, they are currently updating virtually everything in the parks, just don't expect an update for another 1-2 years (Video quality, seats, maybe a facelift on outside facade & rooms) But shrek will be in UOR for 6-8 years at the least before it is out the door. But for a huge update (Unless movie kills it) Don't expect it

Here's the thing. I've been saying for a long time that changing the facade and updating the video on Uni Creative time is the equivalent of about 6-7 months of work, if that. Change it to a property that also has a huge following (a.k.a. How to Train Your Dragon). As someone had mentioned before, the entire storyline for Shrek 4-D doesn't necessarily scream out continuity (along with the pre-show) so keeping the entire theater premise and changing the ride (Jimmy Neutron to DM style) should be something they can do to announce a new children's ride while they gear up for Kong at IOA.