Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If Dudley goes I'd like to see Scooby-Doo and Tom & Jerry added to round out the classic timeless toons along with Popeye. If only they could get Looney Tunes just for Florida as well.

DWA should be saved for the third park.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
A recent article on the Dreamworks deal said that the purchase was one of opportunity rather than planned. This means the use of DreamWorks and Classics did not have a plan but is starting from scratch. The licensed use of the core DreamWorks characters in other US parks has expired, so this characters are clear to use. It has even been posted that the Classics holiday characters like Rudolph are not exclusive to Sea World.

Universal Creative has a blank slate to plan the use of all these IPs. It is possible (but not necessarily likely) that planning of changes in Toon Lagoon was temporarily halted to allow time to consider if DW was a good fit.

I still think it is more likely that SLoP goes in the theater and the food/shopping area gets a face-lift. But the knowledge that DW popped up rather than planned out means a world of new opportunities and potential last minute changes.

What Comcast really gets from DreamWorks: Lassie and the next Shrek

Reactions: Mike S
If Dudley goes I'd like to see Scooby-Doo and Tom & Jerry added to round out the classic timeless toons along with Popeye. If only they could get Looney Tunes just for Florida as well.

DWA should be saved for the third park.
A Tom and Jerry trackless could be a blast.

Universal seems to be focusing on internal IPs for individual attractions. Outside IPs seem to be mainly for entire lands now. This makes many of the great ride suggestions here unlikely (unfortunately).

SLoP was the rumored replacement for the TL theater, though a member has said that Sing will be taking its place in Orlando. I have trouble believing this, but anything is possible. The theater has been kept in working order. It is used for special events and for practicing upcoming shows like Bill and Ted. A team leader on site did tell me earlier this week that the only rumor he was familiar with for the theater was SLoP being built there.

A recent article said the purchase of DreamWorks was one of opportunity, not planning. This suggests that plans for TL itself are in flux as the potential IPs internally available have changed. I could see a scenario where the theater gets Sing short term as a stage show before bigger changes happen over the next couple of years.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
Universal seems to be focusing on internal IPs for individual attractions. Outside IPs seem to be mainly for entire lands now. This makes many of the great ride suggestions here unlikely (unfortunately).

SLoP was the rumored replacement for the TL theater, though a member has said that Sing will be taking its place in Orlando. I have trouble believing this, but anything is possible. The theater has been kept in working order. It is used for special events and for practicing upcoming shows like Bill and Ted. A team leader on site did tell me earlier this week that the only rumor he was familiar with for the theater was SLoP being built there.

A recent article said the purchase of DreamWorks was one of opportunity, not planning. This suggests that plans for TL itself are in flux as the potential IPs internally available have changed. I could see a scenario where the theater gets Sing short term as a stage show before bigger changes happen over the next couple of years.
You make some real good points. And, yes, that's an interesting observation of Sing short term for the TL Theater, if they have other site plans for SLOP. Sing, to me, seems like it's strength would be in a show more than an attraction, in order to take full advantage of it's original music. The other advantage is that venue (TL Lagoon Theater), or Fear Factor too, could be almost immediately used to take advantage of Sing, if it turns out to be as popular as executive's expectations.

Reactions: Joel

What is Sing?

I don't get the Sing rumors at all. Universal clones attractions a lot. It's cheaper for them to spread development costs across two different resorts. Why would they develop two different, yet oddly similar, attractions for two different parks when they've been planning to put the same attraction in two parks?

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I don't get the Sing rumors at all. Universal clones attractions a lot. It's cheaper for them to spread development costs across two different resorts. Why would they develop two different, yet oddly similar, attractions for two different parks when they've been planning to put the same attraction in two parks?
I think it is just one rumor from one member. No corroboration.

Reactions: Mike S and Joel
It is odd that we are at September 21st and nothing has been started in Toon Lagoon. Since DreamWorks was purchased after SLoP plans were made I do wonder if they are giving this area a rethink. The area itself is in need of some TLC, so I hope they either get to work or spruce up the area.

On a side note, last month I saw Beetle Bailey doing meet and greets. Never seen him out before. Anyone ever seen him or anyone other than Popeye, Olive and Betty in Toon Lagoon? I have seen Bullwinkle before but it was at USF.

It is odd that we are at September 21st and nothing has been started in Toon Lagoon. Since DreamWorks was purchased after SLoP plans were made I do wonder if they are giving this area a rethink. The area itself is in need of some TLC, so I hope they either get to work or spruce up the area.

On a side note, last month I saw Beetle Bailey doing meet and greets. Never seen him out before. Anyone ever seen him or anyone other than Popeye, Olive and Betty in Toon Lagoon? I have seen Bullwinkle before but it was at USF.
I've seen him couple of times but not often. But just kind of moving around like Popeye does. Not a real M&G type situation.........It just seems like a lots in flux at Universal now. Between the third park, Dreamworks acquisition, and the next Potter move, they're probably figuring out how the big picture is going to look. It's probably wildcard time right now.

That part of Toon Lagoon may be in use for back-of-house purposes right now? Maybe Universal has to wait until HHN ends or other things shift backstage until they can start demo?

Reactions: Joel
Maybe with F&F, Fallon, VB, 6th Hotel, CBBB Expansion, Planning for 3rd gate, etc all going on, they are expending all the funds they want to spend right now.