Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

If the new Super Mario Odyssey ride is at least loosely inspired by the ancient Greek Homer's Odyssey, it might be acceptable according to the IoA idea of having attractions based on printed or written works. It also seems to have rabbit characters that might be inspired by Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure that idea for IoA is still actually being followed, though. I imagine the game has to at least be not hated by many people or moderately successful for them to build attractions based on it.

New Donk City might make a good transition from Marvel Superhero Island. Although, it could also work as a replacement for part or all of the MSI area. The forest area with red metal structures might make a decent transition to the Jurassic Park area. Maybe they could build one or both of these areas in Toon Lagoon. New Donk City also has red metal structures in it that look especially like platforms from early Mario games, so that might help it blend with the forest area in some way if they were both built with red metal structures in them. Maybe they could also build a third area from the game in Toon Lagoon as well.

It's interesting that there seems to be at least one red tower structure in the forest area. It looks kind of like the Seattle Space Needle. Maybe they could move one of those MIB towers over to Toon Lagoon and change it to look like this red tower or maybe they'd just build the forest area over there at some point. The tower in the game looks like it maybe would have areas at the for people to go on to. If they built it in the park, maybe people could go to the top of it somehow and use it to get a look at the park. Maybe they could even have some attractions based on areas in the game in the studios park and some areas in IoA and have it kind of make sense because the game seems like it will have the idea of traveling be a major part of it.

Nintendo will not go to IOA initially, and I believe that I can't see anything from them there.

Especially not more Mario/Donkey Kong stuff... that's getting the royal treatment in the other park already.

If the new Super Mario Odyssey ride is at least loosely inspired by the ancient Greek Homer's Odyssey, it might be acceptable according to the IoA idea of having attractions based on printed or written works. It also seems to have rabbit characters that might be inspired by Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure that idea for IoA is still actually being followed, though. I imagine the game has to at least be not hated by many people or moderately successful for them to build attractions based on it.

New Donk City might make a good transition from Marvel Superhero Island. Although, it could also work as a replacement for part or all of the MSI area. The forest area with red metal structures might make a decent transition to the Jurassic Park area. Maybe they could build one or both of these areas in Toon Lagoon. New Donk City also has red metal structures in it that look especially like platforms from early Mario games, so that might help it blend with the forest area in some way if they were both built with red metal structures in them. Maybe they could also build a third area from the game in Toon Lagoon as well.

It's interesting that there seems to be at least one red tower structure in the forest area. It looks kind of like the Seattle Space Needle. Maybe they could move one of those MIB towers over to Toon Lagoon and change it to look like this red tower or maybe they'd just build the forest area over there at some point. The tower in the game looks like it maybe would have areas at the for people to go on to. If they built it in the park, maybe people could go to the top of it somehow and use it to get a look at the park. Maybe they could even have some attractions based on areas in the game in the studios park and some areas in IoA and have it kind of make sense because the game seems like it will have the idea of traveling be a major part of it.

Dudley Do-wright/Bullwinkle was a tv cartoon first. So the literature thing didn't exist from day one.

Dudley Do-wright/Bullwinkle was a tv cartoon first. So the literature thing didn't exist from day one.

Thank you. IoA was originally supposed to be a comic book inspired park, yes, but that concept changed. It does not matter if the IP was first a book or a movie or show or whatever. Maybe this is something Universal cared about at some point, but it isn't anymore nor should it be.

So now that the new Odyssey trailer has come out and at least one area has a fairly realistic looking dinosaur and dinosaur bones, what do you guys think of having that area from the game in Toon Lagoon near Jurassic Park? Is it too similar to Jurassic Park or do you think it would be good?

I got to thinking about Universal changing part or all of Toon Lagoon to be like that area in the game after I saw a comment for the first Odyssey trailer saying that you could briefly see part of a dinosaur's tail behind a tree in a forest area shown in the trailer. I wasn't so sure if it was a dinosaur's tail however. I thought it was more likely to be a vine that was moving possibly because it was alive and part of the tree and some probably some sort of enemy that attacks you in the game.

Super Mario Odyssey - Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Trailer - YouTube (at 1:33)

So, if they did build something in Toon Lagoon based on the Odyssey game or even something else having to do with Mario, I was thinking they could build a gondola that could travel between the two areas similar to the Hogwarts train. The cabin of the gondola could be made to be like the vehicle Mario uses in the game. Or if it's not based on the Odyssey game, it could be based on some sort of other aerial vehicle that has appeared in previous Mario games or shows. Do you guys think that gondola would be a good idea? Or would there possibly be a better place to have gondolas for the park? They could maybe even have it be able to travel to a new park built on land over near the convention center. They might not be able to make it a straight line over to there however.

So now that the new Odyssey trailer has come out and at least one area has a fairly realistic looking dinosaur and dinosaur bones, what do you guys think of having that area from the game in Toon Lagoon near Jurassic Park? Is it too similar to Jurassic Park or do you think it would be good?

I got to thinking about Universal changing part or all of Toon Lagoon to be like that area in the game after I saw a comment for the first Odyssey trailer saying that you could briefly see part of a dinosaur's tail behind a tree in a forest area shown in the trailer. I wasn't so sure if it was a dinosaur's tail however. I thought it was more likely to be a vine that was moving possibly because it was alive and part of the tree and some probably some sort of enemy that attacks you in the game.

Super Mario Odyssey - Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Trailer - YouTube (at 1:33)

So, if they did build something in Toon Lagoon based on the Odyssey game or even something else having to do with Mario, I was thinking they could build a gondola that could travel between the two areas similar to the Hogwarts train. The cabin of the gondola could be made to be like the vehicle Mario uses in the game. Or if it's not based on the Odyssey game, it could be based on some sort of other aerial vehicle that has appeared in previous Mario games or shows. Do you guys think that gondola would be a good idea? Or would there possibly be a better place to have gondolas for the park? They could maybe even have it be able to travel to a new park built on land over near the convention center. They might not be able to make it a straight line over to there however.
Not a good idea. Another Nintendo expansion? That's a no go. Why would you build another Mario related thing right after the actual Nintendo world is built in universal. Also two dinosaur related attractions sandwiching Kong? The dinosaur theme is staying in Jurassic park, sorry.

Just heard that Toon Lagoon would be changed to Orange Bird Country. The character Orange Bird is part of an exchange where Disney can use Guardians of the Galaxy at Epcot (it's about finding a battery for a walkman) in change of Orange Bird. Unpacking the Orange Bird it appeared to be the Trump AA that was produced for the Hall of Presidents.
Universal is now tinkering with the idea to add Trump to the Universal Monsters Universe and replace Toon Lagoon with that ip.

But seriously there is only one ip that should replace Toon Lagoon and that is Middle Earth.

Just heard that Toon Lagoon would be changed to Orange Bird Country. The character Orange Bird is part of an exchange where Disney can use Guardians of the Galaxy at Epcot (it's about finding a battery for a walkman) in change of Orange Bird. Unpacking the Orange Bird it appeared to be the Trump AA that was produced for the Hall of Presidents.
Universal is now tinkering with the idea to add Trump to the Universal Monsters Universe and replace Toon Lagoon with that ip.

But seriously there is only one ip that should replace Toon Lagoon and that is Middle Earth.
:lol::thumbsup: Good one

Not a good idea. Another Nintendo expansion? That's a no go. Why would you build another Mario related thing right after the actual Nintendo world is built in universal. Also two dinosaur related attractions sandwiching Kong? The dinosaur theme is staying in Jurassic park, sorry.
What did you do with LJ? :thumbsup::p;)

What did you do with LJ? :thumbsup::p;)

He shot the figurative gamma-ray as Luke became a hulk-like commenter.

tumblr_inline_nzqqdzCpzt1txn6ul_500.gif

But seriously there is only one ip that should replace Toon Lagoon and that is Middle Earth.[/QUOTE]
.. alas, not while Chris Tolkien lives

They are currently developing a new Dudley and many other classic cartoon films at DreamWorks Animations. It would be premature to assume any IP changes in the near future when Universal owns around 73% of the IPs in Toon Lagoon now.

Toon Lagoon could definitely benefit from some revamping, but I really don't want it to lose it's "Cartoon World" setting. It's not the cartoons motif that's the problem here.

Wouldn't a journey to the center of the earth themed land be nice? Kinda like the one at Hong Kong but just take out the title journey to the center of the earth. A very exotic and unearthly island, maybe not a good idea since Kong and JP already have a jungley atmosphere but it would still be a nice UC land like lost continent, or even to replace LC.

Wouldn't a journey to the center of the earth themed land be nice? Kinda like the one at Hong Kong but just take out the title journey to the center of the earth. A very exotic and unearthly island, maybe not a good idea since Kong and JP already have a jungley atmosphere but it would still be a nice UC land like lost continent, or even to replace LC.

Hong Kong Disneyland doesn't have that, Tokyo Disneysea does.

To be quite honest, I would rather want to see it at the new park.

LotR would be insanely awesome anywhere they put it. Although they better find some a way to incorporate Popeyes or I'll be depressed for years. Sauron's scary raft adventure or possibly Orcs a small word after all?