Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 69 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Or... you know.. bring back actual live entertainment to the existing venue (no, not the BMX crap. I meant character content)

The park(s) can't keep killing off shows/show venues, they are a vital aspect of a theme park experience. Also guests want to sit for 20-30mins out of the sun and/or rain.

Toon Lagoon was apparently supposed to have a Rocky & Bullwinkle coaster, but victim of budget-cuts.

If they were to replace this land in the future, it'd be a shame to lose both water rides. I'd expect them to just get rebranded/themed. Let the bulk of the construction be the rest of the land

The only retheme I'd accept is Spongebob.

• Dudley turns into Rock Bottom Plunge.
  • Popeye's becomes Jellyfish Fields.
  • Comic Strip Cafe becomes Krusty Krab.
  • Blondies becomes Chum Bucket.
  • Wimpies can start selling PB & Jellyfish Jam sandwiches, Pretty Pattys, etc.
  • Add a Spongebob stage show to the theatre and a bunch of Bikini Bottom theming to the land itself, with all of the water effects and fountains.
That's the only property that I feel is worth replacing Toon Lagoon with. Toon Lagoon is already pretty great, despite the aged IP lineup. It's incredibly well-themed, it incorporates the water motif almost everywhere, the facades and structures are all large-scale and intricate, and it supplies USO with two really nice water rides.

I don't think Dreamworks needs much more rep than what it currently has. Trolls, Shrek/Puss in Boots, Kung Fu Panda, and HTTYD are their biggest properties, and outside of expansions to the current Dreamworksland, I don't believe Madagascar, Megamind, etc are interesting or relevant enough to justify killing Toon Lagoon.

I just don't know that it is needed. I don't think that area needs a re-skin, there are so many other places in IOA that need work before I would re-skin this area that my kids while not knowing the IPs have liked walking thru. It has been too cold for water rides when we go, but I am sure we will be hitting them soon.

I just don't know that it is needed. I don't think that area needs a re-skin, there are so many other places in IOA that need work before I would re-skin this area that my kids while not knowing the IPs have liked walking thru. It has been too cold for water rides when we go, but I am sure we will be hitting them soon.
My thoughts as well.

I don't see any world where Toon Lagoon should or would be going anywhere before 2030. There are too many other places making/needing to make moves first throughout the resort. Epic opening, Lost Continent/Zelda, Simpsons/Pokemon, Great Hall expansion, Luigi's Mansion expansion, Fear Factor Live, F&F (please), HRRR, some form of an addition to VBay, etc.

I'd love an addition to the theater, finally, but as a whole, Toon Lagoon is doing what it needs to do well IMO.

Last edited:
My thoughts as well.

I don't see any world where Toon Lagoon should or would be going anywhere before 2030. There are too many other places making/needing to make moves first throughout the resort. Epic opening, Lost Continent/Zelda, Simpsons/Pokemon, Great Hall expansion, Luigi's Mansion expansion, Fear Factor Live, F&F (please), HRRR, some form of an addition to VBay, etc.

I'd love an addition to the theater, finally, but as a whole, Toon Lagoon is doing what it needs to do well IMO.
Agreed. A show in the theater is the only thing that area needs right now.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that if I could make ONE decision on behalf of Creative, it would be turning Toon Lagoon into Bikini Bottom.
I'm of the mind that I'd rather have Bikini Bottom take over just the theater and Newspaper Shopping Strip. Maybe change up some of the pathways to separate Bikini Bottom and Toon Lagoon proper from each other and knock down the theater for the ride.

Toon Lagoon needs to have more of its characters out & available to guests (even if most nowadays aren't familiar with them).

Especially the two rides should have their characters out, then a few other "popular" randoms (Rocky/Bullwinkle, Betty Boop, Boris/Natasha)

That would temporarily add some life to the land. Until they drain the Lagoon & toss the toons in a barrel of dip!

Last edited:
I agree that any potential Spongebob makeover of Toon Lagoon should be a long ways out. I think it's a great idea, but it's one that can be pushed off for a little while. Similar to the Mr. Crumpit Suess Landing Coaster concept.
Off topic, but I think Mt Crumpit is dead as the concept was repurposed as Hagrids. Maybe if it was in Studios like Spidey/Transformers, but I don't know about clones two lands from each other.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Off topic, but I think Mt Crumpit is dead as the concept was repurposed as Hagrids. Maybe if it was in Studios like Spidey/Transformers, but I don't know about clones two lands from each other.
Would Hagrids and Crumpit have been using the same system? I'd have assumed it would have been a smaller coaster system for that space. That's if they ever got that far in the first place.

I also think some ride systems are uniquely suited for multiple uses within the same park. No one bats an eye regarding Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid, or any of the many coaster parks out there. People will like a new coaster no matter what it is, especially if it's themed completely differently to Hagrids with different tricks and movements.

I think Spidey / Transformers and FnF / Kong are special cases where the systems are not only identical but they pull a lot of the same exact tricks, with similar Superhero / Action Adventure IPs.

Would Hagrids and Crumpit have been using the same system? I'd have assumed it would have been a smaller coaster system for that space. That's if they ever got that far in the first place.

I also think some ride systems are uniquely suited for multiple uses within the same park. No one bats an eye regarding Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid, or any of the many coaster parks out there. People will like a new coaster no matter what it is, especially if it's themed completely differently to Hagrids with different tricks and movements.

I think Spidey / Transformers and FnF / Kong are special cases where the systems are not only identical but they pull a lot of the same exact tricks, with similar Superhero / Action Adventure IPs.
I always imagined Crumpit as a smaller Expedition Everest rather than a Hagrid clone.

What I've heard from someone who would know is that they basically dusted off the Grinch plans and said "this but Potter." Who knows what would've changed in the execution, but I imagine they would've felt similar.

I don't think a Toon Lagoon conversion to SpongeBob will be as difficult as it sounds. The foundations of TL are fine, it's just not a land that you can enjoy if your not interested in the rides themselves with no relevant IP to keep you there. Having two water rides next to each other is fine, issue is you need to provide something dry. You don't necessarily need a ride, but a theater show could work.

1709741282288.png
Basically split between 3 sections
  • Glove World - where the theater/carnival games currently are. "Cover" the TL Theater with a Glove World facade/backdrop and put a flat ride in the courtyard area out front. Put theater entrance somewhere
  • Bikini Bottom
  • Jellyfish Fields - Popeye's area. If you repaint the rocks from orange to purple, you get pretty close to the SpongeBob aesthetic without doing much else here. It's pretty remarkable how close this area resembles SpongeBob, just needs a paint job.

Dining
  • Krusty Burger (Comic Strip Cafe) - would pay for a whole new theme park on its own. It's a massive QSR location, really just need to work on the façade.
  • Chum Bucket (Gasoline Alley) - convert to a counter service offering "chum" fries and whatever crazy things they can come up with. Should be easy to eat items, something to walk around with.
  • Kelp Shakes (Wimpy's) - need to provide some sort of reason to make this location more popular/unique
Retail
  • Barg 'n' Mart (Toon Extra)
  • M&G Exit Shop (Wossamotta U)

Attractions
  • SpongeBob Stage Show
  • Flat Ride - something for kids to do themed to Glove World
  • To Be Named (Ripsaw)
  • Jellyfish Field Rapids (Popeye's)
  • Meet & Greet Space (choice ala Princess Fairy Tale Hall) - Enter via SpongeBob's house (approx. AP lounge), indoor queue, etc. Exit through the gift shop (Wossamotta U)

I don't think a Toon Lagoon conversion to SpongeBob will be as difficult as it sounds. The foundations of TL are fine, it's just not a land that you can enjoy if your not interested in the rides themselves with no relevant IP to keep you there. Having two water rides next to each other is fine, issue is you need to provide something dry. You don't necessarily need a ride, but a theater show could work.

View attachment 20835
  • Glove World - where the theater/carnival games currently are. "Cover" the TL Theater with a Glove World facade/backdrop and put a flat ride in the courtyard area out front. Put theater entrance somewhere
  • Bikini Bottom
  • Jellyfish Fields - Popeye's area. If you repaint the rocks from orange to purple, you get pretty close to the SpongeBob aesthetic without doing much else here. It's pretty remarkable how close this area resembles SpongeBob, just needs a paint job.

Dining
  • Krusty Burger (Comic Strip Cafe) - would pay for a whole new theme park on its own. It's a massive QSR location, really just need to work on the façade.
  • Chum Bucket (Gasoline Alley) - convert to a counter service offering "chum" fries and whatever crazy things they can come up with. Should be easy to eat items, something to walk around with.
  • Kelp Shakes (Wimpy's) - need to provide some sort of reason to make this location more popular/unique
Retail

Attractions
  • SpongeBob Stage Show
  • To Be Named (Ripsaw)
  • Meet & Greet Space (choice ala Princess Fairy Tale Hall) - Enter via SpongeBob's house (approx. AP lounge), indoor queue, etc. Exit through the gift shop (Wossamotta U)
This is my absolute dream

And I am fully convinced that the land would be EXTREMELY popular. Not to a Potter level, but a few notches below that.

View attachment 20835
  • Bikini Bottom

Dining
Retail

Attractions
  • SpongeBob Stage Show
  • To Be Named (Ripsaw)

Happy James Corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden