Future Universal Projects and Parks | Page 47 | Inside Universal Forums

Future Universal Projects and Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If 611 is no longer Kidzone and if Kidzone doesn't have a project number, then I'm doubting the May 2016 release date.

What is rail replacement? Do you mean tracks?
So we might get new trains as well?

I know Teebin had mentioned infrastructure changes before but I thought it was just all the stuff behind the scenes. So when would this happen and how long would it take?

Rails/tracks yeah... same thing. They actually replaced a section of Hulk rail near the first inversion sometime in the past 3-4 years. In this case, the rails are infrastructure much like the Sinbad refurb going on now.

The only hint I got of further happenings was months ago in a cryptic email that said, "Say bye bye to Hulk. :(".

The parkscope guys seem to have the inside info on the what and what...

If 611 is no longer Kidzone and if Kidzone doesn't have a project number, then I'm doubting the May 2016 release date.

I never said the coaster we thought was Project 611 doesn't have a project number. All I'm saying is I don't think we know the project number for it yet. It still is a thing.

The only hint I got of further happenings was months ago in a cryptic email that said, "Say bye bye to Hulk. :(".

I don't know a ton more, other than there may be thematic changes.

Rails/tracks yeah... same thing. They actually replaced a section of Hulk rail near the first inversion sometime in the past 3-4 years. In this case, the rails are infrastructure much like the Sinbad refurb going on now.

Be it that Hulk may or may not be leaving, I am probably in the latter in that I wouldn't miss the ride itself.

I wouldn't think the coaster itself is leaving, just being refurbished top to bottom and then rethemed around a different character? A character that would fit the launch style of this coaster. I think to tear down the coaster itself and remove it would cause a sh*tstorm that Universal might not want to deal with at the moment. Plus, it's an icon for IOA.

Completely retracking a B&M is really unusual. I'm not sure that I've ever heard of it happening. If its to for different trains, such as a flying coaster I could see it being necessary as different styles of trains do require different track widths. But my thought on this is, that by the time you completely retrack a coaster, why wouldn't you just take it down, sell it overseas or move it to another universal park, and just put a new one in its place? You could custom build a ride to fit the style of trains you are using, and get something back out of the old ride. Doing it this way seems to me like it would take a lot longer and cost more money in the long run. Just seems odd to me.

Yeah, the dots don't quite connect for me. I don't believe you can just replace rail sections on most steel coaster track, the entire piece (rails, spine, ties, and support connectors) would need replaced because of how they're designed and built. They could refinish the rail surfaces, but not cut and replace sections.

Totally no inside info: wouldn't it be cool if this was a transition to a floorlses design?

That actually would be interesting since as far I know there are no launched floorless coasters.
Would also be cool if they could make the last row facing backwards.

Last edited:
Yeah, the dots don't quite connect for me. I don't believe you can just replace rail sections on most steel coaster track, the entire piece (rails, spine, ties, and support connectors) would need replaced because of how they're designed and built. They could refinish the rail surfaces, but not cut and replace sections.

Well, they replaced a rail section already... why did they do that? I don't know why but I do know that the rails are welded on, so why in heavens name could they not be welded off and replaced? Are you a student of coaster construction and welding?

Sorry to be snarky but really... you seem to just be saying stuff from out of the ether.

^It's just that common sense dictates that if you're going to replace an entire track you may as well just buy a brand new roller coaster. Steel roller coasters that have gotten retracked are Matterhorn, Big Thunder, Space Mountain (Disneyland)...the first two are comprised just of rails along a surface (little to no supports) while the third was entirely demolished and re-built, which was necessary because of foundation problems. Hulk isn't rough or near the end of its life expectancy so it's a little odd to think they would go through the trouble of re-tracking it, which hasn't been done on a conventional steel roller coaster before.

^ Perhaps it includes the green part as well... much like the BTMR rebuild. Beyond that, I have no idea... perhaps it isn't happening at all. Maybe it was all a lie and I have been seriously hoodwinked.

Think Rougarou when they say Hulk refurb. Floorless trains, different paint scheme, new theme, onboard audio. Quite odd that in my last post I was naming all these new things coming and I was going to say that they were going to add a new track to Hulk, so it would be a Hulk Vs. Abomination dueling coaster. Some here would say that's crazy, others would say that it's already in the works...

Because I have quite literally never heard of a modern coaster having a slice of rail just replaced, and certainly not one that isn't that old. Also knowing how B&Ms are manufactured and that they trust one factory in the USA to make the track, I find it unlikely. Would you mind saying which section was replaced, if you have/can get that info?

No, I am not talking out of my rear, I got into the industry because of them, and I've spent a lot of time learning about them, and being around them beyond just as a guest. I am making, at worst, educated guesses based on my experience and learning.

EDIT: I ask for the specific section of rail so I can try and get a good look at it if it's visible from a guest area. I think a floorless conversion is a likely possibility.

Last edited:
Converting to a floorless is a huge job, The work and space needed in he station alone makes this scenario unlikely to me.

@maxairmike Not sure why you think it unlikely that a track piece could be replaced, A replacement piece cou;d easily be machined and used to replace the existing. I know for a fact that Gerstlaur track is just bolted together so as easy as building mecanno really, as long as you got big tools :lol:.

Status
Not open for further replies.