Future Universal Projects and Parks | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

Future Universal Projects and Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well from this article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-comcast-earnings-20150501-story.html

Work is underway on Universal Orlando's fifth hotel — the 1,000-room, Caribbean-themed Sapphire Falls, a luxury resort. Universal has 4,200 rooms in four hotels, but executives have said they see potential for up to 15,000 rooms. Documents submitted to the Orange County comptroller's office last year show that Universal is contemplating two other hotels — one with about 400 rooms and another with about 800. The documents gave no timetable.

That Doubletree has 750 rooms.

^^^ I have a hard time believing Universal would buy the Double Tree and not knock it down to build their own resort. The Double Tree is a serviceable hotel, but definitely not the caliber UOR is known for at this time.

Yes it is. I mean, it says there are 16.5 acres, isn't Hard Rock about 14 acres? If I am correct on the size of Hard Rock, it seems like they could build a decent resort nearby or at least grab the land for later use.

if they wanted to they can knock it down and build 2-3 towers with entertainment and small parking garage lol

if they wanted to they can knock it down and build 2-3 towers with entertainment and small parking garage lol

That is pretty much my thinking. At that point it just becomes the logistics of getting guests from your new resort to the park.

Diagon Alley expansion added apx. 8,000 to the park capacity, per Seth Kubersky. Though it only replaced the Jaws area, that's a huge increase in places to go & things to do. Using the same space in a way that greatly increases capacity is a unique way to expand park operations when you're limited in space. I would expect Universal to continue expanding in that manner.

Did I say that? I've heard various numbers quoted in that ballpark but I don't know if I'd vouch for them...

Did I say that? I've heard various numbers quoted in that ballpark but I don't know if I'd vouch for them...
You used that figure back in mid July on Touring Plans. You said that Diagon's capacity is apx. 8000 as opposed to Hogsmeade's 4000. I posted that on July 19th here quoting you from TP, so your TP post would have been within a day or two of that.

Last edited:
Wasn't additional towers at Cabana an option?

I like Fun Spot's new woodie. Isn't the Gatorland area suppose to open soon

Last edited:
262kxl1.jpg

Is there a source on this? I've never heard that before.

Where have you been Skip lol?
Doubt Universal buys it. Especially with the low budget hotel potentially going right behind it pending city approval.

You used that figure back in mid July on Touring Plans. You said that Diagon's capacity is apx. 8000 as opposed to Hogsmeade's 4000. I posted that on July 19th here quoting you from TP, so your TP post would have been within a day or two of that.

Ok, I believe you! I write so much stuff, I can't remember what I said half the time... ;-)

Ok, I believe you! I write so much stuff, I can't remember what I said half the time... ;-)
I appreciated the estimates on both Diagon & Hogsmeade. I haven't seen any numbers anywhere else on either, so it's made it easier for me to understand the various implications & impacts of the crowds during this expansion. I fully realize that those are probably just in the ballpark figures, but they are still very useful. As always, thank you for your keen insight into the internal workings of the parks.

Darn, I left an important word off the end of my last sentence: ",physically".

Damn you. :lol: I'm all curious now. :drool:

- - - Updated - - -

262kxl1.jpg

Where have you been Skip lol?
Doubt Universal buys it. Especially with the low budget hotel potentially going right behind it pending city approval.

I thought I read somewhere (forever ago, ugh) that Universal was interested in the area this hotel is in for future development (though I can't imagine they could get their hands on everything located over there...without going broke :p). Not sure if that was just speculation on the part of fans? :shrug:

I thought I read somewhere (forever ago, ugh) that Universal was interested in the area this hotel is in for future development (though I can't imagine they could get their hands on everything located over there...without going broke :p). Not sure if that was just speculation on the part of fans? :shrug:

It was fun speculation that was discussed much on this forum and much of it was me. You must understand that the entire parcel is not worthy of 1 billion let alone billions. Comcast on the other hand is worth thousands of billions.

Many convincing arguments and discussions on this site, but many are our shots in the dark looking for a solution to Universals supposed problems. It is all fun and games.

Comcast on the other hand is worth thousands of billions.

It really isn't. As of today, its market cap is around $144 billion.

Just for anyone who doesn't know - the market capitalization is the share price of a company multiplied by the amount of shares in that company that exist.

Comcast's cash reserves, which would be how it'd fund any large acquisitons of land are around $4.5 billion - and there's calls on that to be spent on share buybacks, on expanding organically into new cable markets now the TWC deal fell through, etc. So whereas Comcast has large power and financial clout (also massive debt of $45 billion) it isn't so big it can buy anything it wants at any price it wants.

Last edited:
Potential industry shake up this morning. UC has launched a major new recruiting website and many of the execs at various design and engineering companies, including Disney, are a bit shaken by it.

I have been told that this move may be the beginnings for a third gate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.