Future WDW Additions/Expansion | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Future WDW Additions/Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I really don't think Disney can announce anything major until investor day on April 3rd or D23 in August. For a bevy of reasons, it's important that they have a strong slate of announcements on those days in particular.

I do find it weird though that Universal announcements always seem to be paired with lackluster Disney announcements.

Trying to organize the rumors flying around. Feel free to add or take things away if it sounds wrong:

Tropical Americas land
Test Track 3.0
AK expansion (Avatar? Lion King?)
Beyond Big Thunder project
Possible Hollywood Studios project

Just from reading reactions online, it seems like, in the eyes of many fans, Disney will probably never live down all the time wasted not expanding the resort in meaningful ways, but I think it's weird not to be somewhat optimistic if the above slate is true.

Trying to organize the rumors flying around. Feel free to add or take things away if it sounds wrong:

Tropical Americas land
Test Track 3.0
Posters on Magic indicate the Moana boat ride concept has shifted to either MK (separate from the Beyond Big Thunder Project) or DHS (where it may possibly be the project we've started to hear about for Animation Courtyard, or could be something else there).

And if it comes to MK, it will happen before Beyond Big Thunder.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Posters on Magic indicate the Moana boat ride concept has shifted to either MK (separate from the Beyond Big Thunder Project) or DHS (where it may possibly be the project we've started to hear about for Animation Courtyard, or could be something else there).

And if it comes to MK, it will happen before Beyond Big Thunder.
I really hope it's MK.

I really hope it's MK.

Point Agree GIF by Ford

Tropical Americas land
Test Track 3.0
I still think Zootopia will be the big DHS project, they keep including footage of it everytime they mention expansions for both Disneyland/WDW so it would make sense for that to happen. Regardless if it's different compared to the land in Shanghai or not I think we're going to get a version of theirs in the states sooner rather than later.

Considering every park but Epcot has a major project (or projects) approved it appears, this is very encouraging. Even with the downside of this summer being slow, the company clearly sees investment is still worth their dollar. Thats a good sign folks.

I also wish this happened 2-3 years ago, but be happy it’s happening now.

Also, selfishly as a future Horizons West resident this all very encouraging!

But also... is anyone else surprised that they've been mum on the Destination D23 announcements from last year that sounded Blue Sky this entire time, and now all of a sudden they're confirming to be true? :lmao: But hey, we'll take it.

Harumph. Grumble Grumble. All that. :skull::lmao:

I'll get excited for this stuff when I hear about when exactly they're gonna actually open up to the public.

To me, even the decade of expansion we saw from New Fantasyland up through Tron has yet to be enough to bring these parks up to the level that I think they should be by now. That silent era in the 2000s still haunts the company and every park feels like it's missing key areas, capacity eaters, and decent new attractions. There are many significant areas in these parks that feel thoroughly aged, lackluster, or just plain bad. Figment is still limping along, half of the attractions and "lands" in Hollywood Studios are an absolute mess right now, Magic Kingdom has only recieved one brand new ride since New Fantasyland dropped over a decade ago, etc.

Among the additions that they have made, I've loved practically all of them, but their build schedules are ridiculous and their philosophy of strategically opening rides at the most min-maxed profitable time possible frustrates and bores me to tears. Having all of the expansions from D23 2017 dripfed over 6+ years is absolutely horrible when it resulted in significant chunks of the operating theme parks being stuck behind impenetrable and ugly work walls for over half a decade. All while tickets, special events, and general merch, food, and other costs rocket in price.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Epcot the last few times I've went, because every other time since 2016 has been a nightmare of construction, ugly concrete, and closed attractions to navigate through. They kept the Train closed through the 50th anniversary because it was more profitable to wait to finish Tron, the cloned coaster from 2016, for multiple years. Ridiculous, and frankly, I've personally got no reason not to think that Dinosaur, the Liberty Belle, or the 2-4 shows near Animation Courtyard won't be closed for 4 years before reopening as an equal or lesser amount of actual attractions. Test Track's redo will only be quick because of the sponsor.

I'm also just generally not too excited for what is currently being rumored. Coco, Indiana Jones, Encanto, Moana, Zootopia, Villainland, it's just not stuff I find super compelling. It's a personal thing, but it effects my thoughts. I'm not gonna lie and say I'm just as excited for another Moana attraction as I am for a Pokemon, Spongebob, or Luigi's Mansion land.

I'll get excited when it's all announced to be opening in 2026. Until then, it's basically a declaration that the parks will be back under surgery until the start of the new decade. Count me out for right now. Grumble Grumble and all that.

Harumph. Grumble Grumble. All that. :skull::lmao:

I'll get excited for this stuff when I hear about when exactly they're gonna actually open up to the public.

To me, even the decade of expansion we saw from New Fantasyland up through Tron has yet to be enough to bring these parks up to the level that I think they should be by now. That silent era in the 2000s still haunts the company and every park feels like it's missing key areas, capacity eaters, and decent new attractions. There are many significant areas in these parks that feel thoroughly aged, lackluster, or just plain bad. Figment is still limping along, half of the attractions and "lands" in Hollywood Studios are an absolute mess right now, Magic Kingdom has only recieved one brand new ride since New Fantasyland dropped over a decade ago, etc.

Among the additions that they have made, I've loved practically all of them, but their build schedules are ridiculous and their philosophy of strategically opening rides at the most min-maxed profitable time possible frustrates and bores me to tears. Having all of the expansions from D23 2017 dripfed over 6+ years is absolutely horrible when it resulted in significant chunks of the operating theme parks being stuck behind impenetrable and ugly work walls for over half a decade. All while tickets, special events, and general merch, food, and other costs rocket in price.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Epcot the last few times I've went, because every other time since 2016 has been a nightmare of construction, ugly concrete, and closed attractions to navigate through. They kept the Train closed through the 50th anniversary because it was more profitable to wait to finish Tron, the cloned coaster from 2016, for multiple years. Ridiculous, and frankly, I've personally got no reason not to think that Dinosaur, the Liberty Belle, or the 2-4 shows near Animation Courtyard won't be closed for 4 years before reopening as an equal or lesser amount of actual attractions. Test Track's redo will only be quick because of the sponsor.

I'm also just generally not too excited for what is currently being rumored. Coco, Indiana Jones, Encanto, Moana, Zootopia, Villainland, it's just not stuff I find super compelling. It's a personal thing, but it effects my thoughts. I'm not gonna lie and say I'm just as excited for another Moana attraction as I am for a Pokemon, Spongebob, or Luigi's Mansion land.

I'll get excited when it's all announced to be opening in 2026. Until then, it's basically a declaration that the parks will be back under surgery until the start of the new decade. Count me out for right now. Grumble Grumble and all that.
At first glance I was thinking you were a being a bit too pessimistic. But, after I started reviewing the hows and whys of the last two WDW decades, your post made a ton of sense. And yes, those construction walls, up for a really too long time, took the fun out of Epcot and DHS for me also. Hopefully these next stages move a little faster and the areas they're in will be less intrusive, since they're not smack dab in the middle of the parks. That said, a look at Epic, and in one fell swope, Universal does more than WDW Disney did over the entire past decade. That's an awesome thought. The big plus though, is that I'm of the belief that these coming attractions will force Universal to keep IOA and USF in tip top shape, instead of sitting on Epics' laurels. So, as I said before, this is all going to be a win win for us theme park fans. This is a war coming, and fans will reap the rewards (though we'll probably pay more for them ;) ).

They've also been treating the parks like they do their movies: everything needs to be a quarter billion dollar project or it's not worth the resources. There's shuttered attractions and empty theaters but the focus is somehow still on E-tickets only when what used to be most memorable about the parks growing up was how they always had something new and relevant that was directly from what was reflecting culture in that moment. It was the little things too. Legend of the Lion King, the Hunchback show, Mickey's Birthday land, the Roger Rabbit float in the Surprise Celebration parade, Aladdin's Caravan, Captain EO, seeing the Ninja Turtles/Dinosaurs cast/Ace Ventura, etc.

Flash forward to the current state of the world where it takes 18 months after Encanto is a cultural phenomenon to get a meet-and-greet with 1 of its characters in the Magic Kingdom. It's not even about the budget. it's an entirely different philosophy.

They've also been treating the parks like they do their movies: everything needs to be a quarter billion dollar project or it's not worth the resources. There's shuttered attractions and empty theaters but the focus is somehow still on E-tickets only when what used to be most memorable about the parks growing up was how they always had something new and relevant that was directly from what was reflecting culture in that moment. It was the little things too. Legend of the Lion King, the Hunchback show, Mickey's Birthday land, the Roger Rabbit float in the Surprise Celebration parade, Aladdin's Caravan, Captain EO, seeing the Ninja Turtles/Dinosaurs cast/Ace Ventura, etc.

Flash forward to the current state of the world where it takes 18 months after Encanto is a cultural phenomenon to get a meet-and-greet with 1 of its characters in the Magic Kingdom. It's not even about the budget. it's an entirely different philosophy.
Good point on E tickets. So often, its the little things that make WDW and Universal 'special'. Unfortunately, in this race to D/E ticket attractions, those 'special' circumstances, very often live entertainment, disappear at both park resorts. Damn, I really miss the Citizens of Hollywood. I recall one skit act in particular, the Maintenance crew, that was more humorous than any skit I had ever seen on TV or in a movie. And, being pretty old, I saw a lot over the years.

E-tickets drive more guest visits to parks, but you really need a few spinners and such to round out the experience and spread the crowds.

WDW made a decision to not increase capacity, but to drive crowds, with FP+. This has backfired on them and now Bob is playing "catch-up".

Us theme-park geeks will love it!

But every ride does not need to be an E.

Conversely, I'm a little concerned about Wolfman, Yoshi, Dragon Training, Donkey Kong, and Star Carousel all being in the same park. All of these rides look to have have under 1000 capacity.

Its probably more of an art than a science to get this right.

Pretty extensive and (if true) very promising list of what's coming to WDW according to one of their insiders:

Animal Kingdom: Indiana Jones Adventure, Encanto dark ride, Central American animals throughout the land Tropical America’s replacing Dinoland AND a Lion King ride for Africa, Zootopia show replacing “It’s tough to be a bug,” and a new night show with more fountains and drones.

Magic Kingdom:
Site work to begin shortly for what amounts to a Frontierland expansion and a new Villains Land the size of Galaxy’s Edge. Additionally, the Moana boat ride originally slated for Animal Kingdom will go in Adventureland between Pirates and Jungle Cruise. Tomorrowland Speedway will be different. Big Thunder Mountain receives an update. Stitch will not be in its current state for much longer. New Night Parade.

Epcot: Test Track redo opens summer of 2025, The Spaceship Earth update will likely be announced and will start once Test Track comes back online. I’d expect to hear one more announcement for EPCOT. Keep a close eye on the Figment project on Disney Plus. I've heard Inside Out.

Hollywood Studios: New land to replace Launch Bay. Rock n’ Rollercoaster retheme as well. Falcon mission update.

Simplified list:
  • Magic Kingdom: Moana ride in Adventureland, Stitch replacement, Coco ride for Frontierland expansion, Villain Land

• Epcot: Test Track redo, SE goes down for its update when TT reopens, Figment possibly getting update based on D+ show or Inside Out..? Wording isn't clear.

• DHS: Launch Bay removed for new land that connects to Sunset, RNRC rethemed, Millennium Falcon gets new missions.

• DAK: Lion King ride in Africa, Dinoland changed to Tropical Americas, ITtbaB rethemed to Zootopia, new nighttime show featuring droids

Not sure what your opinion on Tom Corless is overall, but today his argument is that recently Disney has been responding already to universal with their recent additions from 2017 and also it takes a long time to plan rides so they are doing so now. One major park ride per park per year on average is not enough expansion for the Disney world resort even with no universal at all in the picture. Disney is already a park short or major expansion at every park operating and demand level NOW. Oh and he called people delusional for not thinking Disney is not competing because of not recognizing these too late additions.

Delusional is having your main competitor build an entire new park with NOTHING opening within the first year or two at best of their opening. That is not secret planning . That is negligence. When you give loyal customers a reason to look elsewhere with no competitive new offerings in the near term, you lose long term marketshare. Really no wonder he is back on the media list. He really just hated Chapek and now the rose colored glasses are back on. Disappointing.

Reactions: SkiBum
For the building smaller attractions I think the main issue is PR/ public perception. In order to actually build a net new C ticket or below right now you really only have 2 options.

1. Build a whole land with C tickets and below included A la Toy Story land or Cars Land, that way you get the public perception of a whole land plus the anchor E ticket.

Or 2. You consistently have an E ticket type attraction under construction, this way you can open up the small attractions in between when the large E ticket is suppose to open. By doing this you are able to downplay negativity about the scale by framing it more as an appetizer.

The issue for Disney is they have not had that consistent of schedule to allow them to do this, and when they do build lands they are replacements, which does not create net new additions.

Universal is somewhat taking advantage of this right now by opening both Dreamwork's and Minions back to back, since they have EU on the horizon. Though I’d argue they somewhat fall into the same issues but that is mostly due to limited space.

Pretty extensive and (if true) very promising list of what's coming to WDW according to one of their insiders:

Animal Kingdom: Indiana Jones Adventure, Encanto dark ride, Central American animals throughout the land Tropical America’s replacing Dinoland AND a Lion King ride for Africa, Zootopia show replacing “It’s tough to be a bug,” and a new night show with more fountains and drones.

Magic Kingdom:
Site work to begin shortly for what amounts to a Frontierland expansion and a new Villains Land the size of Galaxy’s Edge. Additionally, the Moana boat ride originally slated for Animal Kingdom will go in Adventureland between Pirates and Jungle Cruise. Tomorrowland Speedway will be different. Big Thunder Mountain receives an update. Stitch will not be in its current state for much longer. New Night Parade.

Epcot: Test Track redo opens summer of 2025, The Spaceship Earth update will likely be announced and will start once Test Track comes back online. I’d expect to hear one more announcement for EPCOT. Keep a close eye on the Figment project on Disney Plus. I've heard Inside Out.

Hollywood Studios: New land to replace Launch Bay. Rock n’ Rollercoaster retheme as well. Falcon mission update.

Simplified list:
  • Magic Kingdom: Moana ride in Adventureland, Stitch replacement, Coco ride for Frontierland expansion, Villain Land

• Epcot: Test Track redo, SE goes down for its update when TT reopens, Figment possibly getting update based on D+ show or Inside Out..? Wording isn't clear.

• DHS: Launch Bay removed for new land that connects to Sunset, RNRC rethemed, Millennium Falcon gets new missions.

• DAK: Lion King ride in Africa, Dinoland changed to Tropical Americas, ITtbaB rethemed to Zootopia, new nighttime show featuring droids
I would certainly not count on all of this happening, but I do think a good amount of it will and D23 will certainly be fun this year me thinks. It could almost be bigger in scale of announcements than 2017 bc you have to remember we’re just talking about WDW here. They have a lot for DLR and DLRP to announce as well as cruise lines.