General Movies & TV Thread | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Being a fan of The Bear and Succession tonight
ae2941a381f802cb3981437c9506a771.gif

finally got around to seeing Elemental and was really pleasantly surprised! perhaps not a groundbreaking film, but I really enjoyed its story and perspective in ways that surprised me.
Elemental was a very satisfying film. Certainly on the lower end of Pixar's good films, but still a very worth entry to their catalog. I can fill up a Top 10 with Toy Story 1&3, Wall-E, Ratatouille, Up!, Coco, Incredibles 1&2, and Monsters, Inc and that's with me trying to fit as many different IPs in as I think is deserve it without over half of the list being Toy Story and Incredibles as I could easily formulate a list with all TS and Incredibles movies in there leaving little room for others.

Now I want to see them get back to making a film that can compete with the films I mentioned in quality again. I do think Soul is potentially one to argue about as the closest they've come in recent years, but a lot have just been fine or enjoyable, but not in the same way as older pixar films. Turning Red was really good and i'd imo better than Elemental. The only real stinker they've had is Lightyear. Luca was very mediocre though.

Being a fan of The Bear and Succession tonight
ae2941a381f802cb3981437c9506a771.gif

Elemental was a very satisfying film. Certainly on the lower end of Pixar's good films, but still a very worth entry to their catalog. I can fill up a Top 10 with All Toy Story 1&3, Wall-E, Ratatouille, Up!, Coco, Incredibles 1&2, and Monsters, Inc and that's with me trying to fit as many different IPs in as I think is deserve it without over half of the list being Toy Story and Incredibles as I could easily formulate a list with all TS and Incredibles movies in there leaving little room for others.

Now I want to see them get back to making a film that can compete with the films I mentioned in quality again. I do think Soul is potentially one to argue about as the closest they've come in recent years, but a lot have just been fine or enjoyable, but not in the same way as older pixar films. Turning Red was really good and i'd imo better than Elemental. The only real stinker they've had is Lightyear. Luca was very mediocre though.

Agreed on Elemental. Far from Pixar’s best, but I can think of at least five films from them that I would rather not sit through again compared to this one. HUGE disagree on Luca, though. I thought that movie was absolutely adorable.

Never watched The Bear, but it moved immediately up on my to-do list, especially since I suspect it will pick up some awards next week at the Emmys.

Reactions: Nick
Agreed on Elemental. Far from Pixar’s best, but I can think of at least five films from them that I would rather not sit through again compared to this one. HUGE disagree on Luca, though. I thought that movie was absolutely adorable.

Never watched The Bear, but it moved immediately up on my to-do list, especially since I suspect it will pick up some awards next week at the Emmys.
The Episodes are typically 30 minutes, sometimes a bit longer. I think there's 18 episodes between the two seasons so it shouldn't be a tough binge. Could honestly probably be done over the course of a free 3 day weekend such as this upcoming weekend. Both seasons are really good, but Season 2 is peak television, particularly S2 E6 (Fishes).

Something the show does extraordinarily well is staging scenes where you can almost literally feel the chaos and/or tension piercing through the screen.

I saw the Iron Claw yesterday, was my favorite A24 Film of the year

A good story, told well and acted also very well

Reactions: belloq87
So Boy and The Heron is definitely a movie to start off 2024.

A good movie--not great and not bad; I love the first half but then it kind of breaks down to a weird "by the numbers" Ghibli film. A phrase I wish I don't say. Robert Pattinson and Gemma Chan give some really fun deliveries.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
So Boy and The Heron is definitely a movie to start off 2024.

A good movie--not great and not bad; I love the first half but then it kind of breaks down to a weird "by the numbers" Ghibli film. A phrase I wish I don't say. Robert Pattinson and Gemma Chan give some really fun deliveries.
The Boy and the Heron is my least favorite Miyazaki film.

The umpteenth variation of the Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, Labyrinth, Pan's Labyrinth story with characters and situations I didn't find remotely compelling.

The Boy and the Heron is my least favorite Miyazaki film.

The umpteenth variation of the Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, Labyrinth, Pan's Labyrinth story with characters and situations I didn't find remotely compelling.

I actually like the Alice Through the Looking Glass approach in this. What I don't like--is that it becomes a different movie in the second half with a bare connection to the first.

I'd probably say my least favorite Ghibli film is still Arietty; but a least favorite Ghibli film is not a bad Ghibli film.