Ghostbusters | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Ghostbusters

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Judd Apatow and 'Ghostbusters 3': Fat chance
06:19 PM PT, Mar 3 2009

Anyone can write anything on the Internet, so I guess I wasn't surprised to discover that the amazing array of stories all reporting, speculating and buzzing about Judd Apatow stepping up to produce "Ghostbusters 3" turn out to be, ahem, fanciful, intriguing and entertaining -- but not true. All it took was a couple of calls to the top brass at Sony to learn that Apatow, despite his many talents and deep roots at the studio, where he has made several comedy hits, has nothing to do with the movie.

Juddapatow"It's not true," says Doug Belgrad, president of Columbia Pictures. "We have some great new writers working on a new script, but Judd isn't involved. Judging from the frenzy on the Internet, there still seems to be plenty of interest in the idea of doing another film, so we're certainly taking that as a good sign."

The first two "Ghostbusters" films, directed by Ivan Reitman and starring Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd, were signature 1980s action comedies and huge box-office hits. Over the years, Sony has regularly tried to interest the foursome in revisiting the franchise, with limited success. However, timing is everything. The studio recently hired the writing team of Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg (best known for their work on "The Office") to tackle a new script. As it turns out, most of the original films' creative team are involved as informal consultants on the new project, which would have the original Ghostbusters passing the torch to a new generation.

So why all those wacky Internet posts about Judd Apatow? Some of it is probably just wishful thinking -- after all, Apatow's comic versatility makes him today's equivalent of Reitman, who was the reigning comedy producer-director of his era. But it's also likely that the web gumshoes were confused by the fact that Apatow is producing another Stupnitsky and Eisenberg-penned project, "The Year One," a Harold Ramis-directed adventure comedy that Sony is releasing in June. This somehow led to all sorts of dreamy speculation that the new "'Busters" project would be populated with actors from the Apatow stock company, which isn't a bad idea, but is total fiction at this stage.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_picture/2009/03/judd-apatow-and.html

So it looks like Apatow is not involved with GB3.

More news on GB3

Original ‘Ghostbusters’ To Return Afterall? Harold Ramis Says Yes

Ghostbusters

A new chapter in the Ghostbusters franchise has been rumored for years and years and years. While a movie never seemed to actually be a possibility, we eventually found out that we would be getting a video game with most of the actors offering their voices to the project — meaning that this was our third movie. Not too long after that, though, it was announced that Year One and The Office writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky were actually working on a script for Ghostbusters 3, which would likely have a new group of younger and currently popular ‘Busters.

Now that we’re all caught up, original member and writer Harold Ramis recently spoke to MTV and wouldn’t ya know it, he claims that if the movie does get done, all original Ghostbusters will reprise their roles!

Now before you get too excited, Ramis was a little vague. To me it sounds like the boys will have roles, but they’ll be more appearances as mentors to the group of new, younger Ghostbusters. So the plan is apparently pretty genius — get the old names back in small roles to gain your nostalgic audience; then cast a group of top current talent to score your new audience; and ta-da, lots and lots of money coming your way.

Another thing that caught my attention is that no one has apparently talked to Bill Murray yet. Ramis refers to him as the “thorniest” of the bunch and explains that he “wants to talk to him eventually,” yet he seems sure enough that all will happily take part in the project. I assume this even furthers the chances that the roles are likely to be pretty minor, and/or that they had all previously made verbal promises to return if this attempt worked out. Currently, they’re all just waiting for the script to come around to see if it’s up to par. Imagine having that pressure on you as a writer.

Short vid with Ramos laughing up some old rumors.
http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/362066/a-brand-new-set-of-ghostbusters-not-yet-says-harold-ramis.jhtml

Wow. Hope this is true AND I hope the originals aren't merely cameos in this one to make way for this "younger" cast.
It would be a shame if so because the originals are brilliant together!
A Rick Moranis return!? Really hoping that that is true. :cross:

wow nice find Dyates, yeah a Rick Moranis return would be wicked. I haven't seen him on screen in forever.

I haven't seen him on screen in forever.

He probably gets so much money in royalties he doesn't have to work ever again!! Also from what I heard he doesn't like to associate himself with any of his past characters, but who knows..

I do agree with you though!!! WICKED!

Bill Murray as a ghost? I don't want a ghost venkman. Geesh. Every time this movie sounds more possible I hear or read something that just sounds so awful as a plot point or element.

Here is an idea. The Ghostbusters have been sort of under the radar for the past 15 years or so and are all out of shape. When something larger and more supernatural than they ever had to face comes out of the blue. It is time for them to get back into shape and become the ghostbusters once again.

Is it forumulamatic? Yes, but it is basically what could be believably happened in an alternate Universe or real one where it is easy to believe these guys exist. They are already older in real life so it just works with the concept.

I don't need a fantastic story gimmik that is out there. Just some fun new characters and well done witt.

It seems that these creative minds are focusing way too much on sci fi elements. Ghostbusters had sci fi elements but that was just a plot device. It was famous because it is a well written and paced movie with tons of witt.

Did Sigourney Weaver just drop a major bombshell about the upcoming Ghostbusters III? While details still remain sketchy about the film itself, Weaver seems to have casually mentioned some things that, if proven true, may be key points about the film.

Weaver has been making the rounds as the promotional blitz for James Cameron's epic, Avatar (opening Dec. 18) starts to kick into overdrive. Weaver plays Dr. Grace Augustine in the film, who, much like her iconic Ellen Ripley character from the Alien franchise, will be a strong-willed woman who may be forced to pick up a rifle and blow s**t up. In keeping with that theme, Weaver's recent interview with the UK's Channel 4, firstly discussed the complexities and nuances of "strong" roles for women in film. However, the conversation took a turn when she was asked about the status of the upcoming third film in the Ghostbusters series.

"I’m afraid to say it [Ghostbusters 3] is happening, I hope people are excited about that. I don’t know if I’m going to be in it, I have had a couple of calls asking ‘would you read the script’.

"I know that my little son Oscar – who was kidnapped from me – I think he has grown up to be a ghostbuster.

"I might be in it; I see nothing wrong with being in it, although I don’t think I will have a big part. I think Bill Murray has a little more to do with it - he’s a ghost."

Woah! -- Back that up for second! Now, little Oscar, who was to be the bodily host to painting-dweller, Vigo the Carpathian in Ghostbusters II growing up to become a Ghostbuster himself is some news, but not totally unexpected. However, did Sigourney Weaver just mention that Bill Murray's Peter Venkman, who spent his life "busting" ghosts while dropping some of the best sarcastic one-liners of all time, will become that which he has been busting?

Read more: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/index.html?page=2#ixzz0ZcHLWvSz

Did Sigourney Weaver just drop a major bombshell about the upcoming Ghostbusters III? While details still remain sketchy about the film itself, Weaver seems to have casually mentioned some things that, if proven true, may be key points about the film.

Weaver has been making the rounds as the promotional blitz for James Cameron's epic, Avatar (opening Dec. 18) starts to kick into overdrive. Weaver plays Dr. Grace Augustine in the film, who, much like her iconic Ellen Ripley character from the Alien franchise, will be a strong-willed woman who may be forced to pick up a rifle and blow s**t up. In keeping with that theme, Weaver's recent interview with the UK's Channel 4, firstly discussed the complexities and nuances of "strong" roles for women in film. However, the conversation took a turn when she was asked about the status of the upcoming third film in the Ghostbusters series.

"I’m afraid to say it [Ghostbusters 3] is happening, I hope people are excited about that. I don’t know if I’m going to be in it, I have had a couple of calls asking ‘would you read the script’.

"I know that my little son Oscar – who was kidnapped from me – I think he has grown up to be a ghostbuster.

"I might be in it; I see nothing wrong with being in it, although I don’t think I will have a big part. I think Bill Murray has a little more to do with it - he’s a ghost."

Woah! -- Back that up for second! Now, little Oscar, who was to be the bodily host to painting-dweller, Vigo the Carpathian in Ghostbusters II growing up to become a Ghostbuster himself is some news, but not totally unexpected. However, did Sigourney Weaver just mention that Bill Murray's Peter Venkman, who spent his life "busting" ghosts while dropping some of the best sarcastic one-liners of all time, will become that which he has been busting?

Read more: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/index.html?page=2#ixzz0ZcHLWvSz

TBad shared that link a few days ago. :thumbs:

Good...Good..

Harold Ramis recently spoke to Heeb and had this to say about the project:

Something's going to happen. Dan [Aykroyd] did write a spec GB3 screenplay a few years ago, but no one was motivated to pursue it. Now, 25 years after the original, there seems to be some willingness to proceed and apparently a substantial public appetite for a sequel. We'll introduce some new young Ghostbusters, and all the old guys will be in it, too. Think Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future...GB3 is progressing with plans to shoot next summer and release in 2011.