Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Great Movie Ride Closing?

May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
Rumour on the other site is GMR is going away for a new attraction around 2018. Another reliable source confirmed that it was going away. Thoughts, comments, rumours regarding this?

Wow if true. I mean I enjoy it for a get out of the sun ride, but can't say I would miss it.

It has been rumored for eons upon eons. Easily since the 2000 at the earliest, when I first got dial-up internet this is one of the very first rumors I read.

Anyways: I don't think it'll close in 2018, but 2019 or 2020 when SWL gets ready to open if this happens. It still has quite a bit left to go even in this "scenario". Would I be upset? Well if they're never going to truly update the damn thing then no... no I'm not. I'm just glad it made it to be captured in extreme low light and with 360 cams.

Bring on whatever crap Chapek requested WDI to build.

The TCM sponsorship runs through 2018/19 for the ride. I can see it closing before that sponsorship is up.

Apparently it's up 2018.

I mean, I know this one has been around for a long time (Hey, remember Muppets Great Movie Ride?) but I just can't see it until after Toy Story Land is done... and based on observations, that ain't happening in 2018.

Apparently it's up 2018.

I mean, I know this one has been around for a long time (Hey, remember Muppets Great Movie Ride?) but I just can't see it until after Toy Story Land is done... and based on observations, that ain't happening in 2018.

Unless they want to damage their park capacity even more, I really doubt that GMR will close; atleast, until after SWL. The Park would then only have four REAL attractions (if TSL doesn't open till 2019); NINE shows; and half of the park closed off because of SWL.

Removing GMR would put the park at a very, very bad amount of capacity, to where it would make the situation of capacity worse.

Apparently it's up 2018.

2018 is actually the rumored time frame for TSL. There're already underway past the demo stage and into site prep. The land in fairly straightforward, I don't see how it takes longer than 2018.

It's honestly not much more than when they built storybook circus, which only took a year and was completely scrapped before rebuilding. Coasters and flat rides go in quick.

2018 is actually the rumored time frame for TSL. There're already underway past the demo stage and into site prep. The land in fairly straightforward, I don't see how it takes longer than 2018.

It's honestly not much more than when they built storybook circus, which only took a year and was completely scrapped before rebuilding. Coasters and flat rides go in quick.

You misunderstand... (Or I didn't clarify well enough) I don't see GMR happening in 2018.

You misunderstand... (Or I didn't clarify well enough) I don't see GMR happening in 2018.
I to think they may say they want it to right now, I'll full believe that. But once they realize how truly little TSL adds in capacity compared to a people eater like GMR, they'll think better and wait until SWL is open at the least.

Btw, that's a huge show building. Does anyone have an idea of what the current IP replacement would be? You could almost split the building into 2 and create two different rides.

I to think they may say they want it to right now, I'll full believe that. But once they realize how truly little TSL adds in capacity compared to a people eater like GMR, they'll think better and wait until SWL is open at the least.

Btw, that's a huge show building. Does anyone have an idea of what the current IP replacement would be?

Just shootin off ideas, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the idea of the Great Movie Ride, but solely focused on Disney movies.

Either way, I'll really friggin miss the Nostromo and Sigourney Weaver.

Just shootin off ideas, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the idea of the Great Movie Ride, but solely focused on Disney movies.

Either way, I'll really friggin miss the Nostromo and Sigourney Weaver.
But will we get more of Sigourney in Pandora is the real question ;)

Btw, that's a huge show building. Does anyone have an idea of what the current IP replacement would be? You could almost split the building into 2 and create two different rides.

Seems like it may not be an IP replacement, if the rumors on WDWMagic seem to turn out true.

Well they are supposed to be keeping the Chinese theater facade so what could work with that?