Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 129 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My only potential hang-up with respect to the "visibility" of the coaster track is that I think lots of bare steel jutting up from the ground would be an immersion-breaker unless it's justified as part of the story and reality of the ride itself (and isn't that the reason Rowling had been wanting to see Dragon Challenge replaced?). We can see the track, for instance, on things like Big Thunder, Seven Dwarfs, and Everest, but the story of the ride accounts for that by placing us on trains or mine equipment. Ditto for Gringotts, which places us on the railed conveyance used in the actual environment as depicted in the books and the movies.

We all know we have to suspend disbelief to some extent when we get on any theme park attraction. I've got no problem with the prospect of being able to see our coaster track in front of us, but I hope it's going to be very well themed and incorporated into the environment in a more cohesive way than just a standard coaster would be.

My only potential hang-up with respect to the "visibility" of the coaster track is that I think lots of bare steel jutting up from the ground would be an immersion-breaker unless it's justified as part of the story and reality of the ride itself (and isn't that the reason Rowling had been wanting to see Dragon Challenge replaced?). We can see the track, for instance, on things like Big Thunder, Seven Dwarfs, and Everest, but the story of the ride accounts for that by placing us on trains or mine equipment. Ditto for Gringotts, which places us on the railed conveyance used in the actual environment as depicted in the books and the movies.

We all know we have to suspend disbelief to some extent when we get on any theme park attraction. I've got no problem with the prospect of being able to see our coaster track in front of us, but I hope it's going to be very well themed and incorporated into the environment in a more cohesive way than just a standard coaster would be.
Most track will be low to ground. Elevated track will be themed as wooden bridges so look good from the side. None will ever be that high up, at least no where near as big as Dragons, so won’t be too visible from Hogsmeade.

This is exactly why I don't want to see Sirius Black motorcyles or the Anglia, and why I would have preferred an indoor coaster to an outdoor one. You either have to incorporate the track into the story or hide it, otherwise it will never be perceived as anything but a Muggle coaster built right slap in the middle of an otherwise immersive wizarding world.

Edit: Alicia's note about the wooden bridges sounds like a step in the right direction.

Most track will be low to ground. Elevated track will be themed as wooden bridges so look good from the side. None will ever be that high up, at least no where near as big as Dragons, so won’t be too visible from Hogsmeade.

That'll work for me!

This is exactly why I don't want to see Sirius Black motorcyles or the Anglia, and why I would have preferred an indoor coaster to an outdoor one. You either have to incorporate the track into the story or hide it, otherwise it will never be perceived as anything but a Muggle coaster built right slap in the middle of an otherwise immersive wizarding world.

At a certain point, I think we have to trust that Rowling would not have been pressing to get rid of Dragon Challenge (as has been rumored) only to sign off on its replacement having similar aesthetics. The coaster may not be fully "justified" by the ride's story, but I'm sure it will require far less suspension of disbelief than DC did.

Reactions: JoeCamel
My issue with suspended coasters is that they kill visibility when you’re on the ride. Unless you’re in the front row, you’ll have a heck of a time trying to see any of the show scenes.
Why do you need show scenes on suspended coasters though?
Gringotts is a coaster no matter how many people try and downplay it, but the way it's built is set up for that. There aren't extreme G forces on that ride to take one focus and comfort away from what's going on around them. That would nearly impossible on a suspended coaster unless you have really wide seats or you are going slow for show scenes on a straight which takes away everything a suspended coaster is supposed to do IMO.

I'm agreeing with you, just to let you know lol

Yeah, as Alicia pointed out, Rowling doesn’t seem to mind coaster tracks, as long as they’re not too intrusive. Whether or not hippogriff is intrusive or not is up for debate, but it certainly blends in better than Dragon Challenge did.
I love the wicker style coaster train and rust colored steel. Really looks good and matches the land well, especially considering it was already there before Hogsmeade.

Yeah, as Alicia pointed out, Rowling doesn’t seem to mind coaster tracks, as long as they’re not too intrusive. Whether or not hippogriff is intrusive or not is up for debate, but it certainly blends in better than Dragon Challenge did.
BOTH FLying Unicorn and Dragons were pre-Harry Potter. For what Creative has proven they can do with buildings and show scenes , this isn't a fair judgement IMO. The re-themed Flying Unicorn sticks out so sore in the land, I wish they'd remove it and create another attraction that fits in better. It still doesn't fit with the overall creativity in the land. Which if looking at it, whatever replaces Dragons is going to be undoubtedly more themed and fitting.

BOTH FLying Unicorn and Dragons were pre-Harry Potter. For what Creative has proven they can do with buildings and show scenes , this isn't a fair judgement IMO. The re-themed Flying Unicorn sticks out so sore in the land, I wish they'd remove it and create another attraction that fits in better. It still doesn't fit with the overall creativity in the land. Which if looking at it, whatever replaces Dragons is going to be undoubtedly more themed and fitting.
But Universal actually built two "new" Flying Hippogriffs into the new HP areas at Japan & Hollywood. So evidently Rowling & Warner had no issues with that.

Hippogryph is obtrusive because it blocks the place everyone needs to stand to watch the castle show :lol: I think aesthetically, it fits in great, imo. Dark, aged, whimsical and a fun little coaster, to boot. It should just be placed literally anywhere else lmao.

Why do you need show scenes on suspended coasters though?
Gringotts is a coaster no matter how many people try and downplay it, but the way it's built is set up for that. There aren't extreme G forces on that ride to take one focus and comfort away from what's going on around them. That would nearly impossible on a suspended coaster unless you have really wide seats or you are going slow for show scenes on a straight which takes away everything a suspended coaster is supposed to do IMO.

I'm agreeing with you, just to let you know lol

Totally agreed. I know the idea of a suspended coaster was being thrown around the last few pages, and since we know there will be some elements of show scenes (even very brief ones) I think suspsended is a poor fit. Although, I would still love to see that dark ride/suspended coaster hybrid with the spinning cars at its full potential. I think this project possibly could have been a good fit for that ride system :shrug:

Reactions: Joel
Status
Not open for further replies.