Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a reason why the states aren't buying any of those anymore.

Because they are too busy taking Chinese money?

And Cedar Fair is currently building one at CW, with likely a couple more between CP and KI within a few years. B&M's are expensive, so only the bigger parks can justify the cost.

Because they are too busy taking Chinese money?

And Cedar Fair is currently building one at CW, with likely a couple more between CP and KI within a few years. B&M's are expensive, so only the bigger parks can justify the cost.

I think you’re right about only the bigger parks being able to justify the cost but on the same hand, the big parks that can afford them probably already have one or several and are now looking at alternatives.

I think RMC are the hot ticket just now and are definitely making the most exciting coasters.

Universal can afford them and they have but they’re looking beyond the basic amusement park experience. I think Hulk only got replaced because it’s a huge fan favourite. DC not so much.

I think you’re right about only the bigger parks being able to justify the cost but on the same hand, the big parks that can afford them probably already have one or several and are now looking at alternatives.

I think RMC are the hot ticket just now and are definitely making the most exciting coasters.

Universal can afford them and they have but they’re looking beyond the basic amusement park experience. I think Hulk only got replaced because it’s a huge fan favourite. DC not so much.

In Universal's case, B&M's are less likely mainly because they are fairly set in how they do things. They are going to do it their way because they know what works. Intamin will pretty much build whatever you ask for, delays be damned. If you want a multi launch coaster with backwards sections, B&M probably would just turn the job down or price it way out of reasonable range. Since Uni seems to be going towards more launched, sensored, and other specialized coasters, that kinds knocks B&M out. If Uni decides to build a Hulk/HRRR type, exposed steel coaster at the third park, I'd be surprised if it was anyone other than B&M.

I doubt we see an RMC at Uni. A wood coaster probably will never happen, and the RMC all steel stuff is just too new and low capacity. But for your average regional park, you are right, they are doing things no one else is right now.

In Universal's case, B&M's are less likely mainly because they are fairly set in how they do things. They are going to do it their way because they know what works. Intamin will pretty much build whatever you ask for, delays be damned. If you want a multi launch coaster with backwards sections, B&M probably would just turn the job down or price it way out of reasonable range. Since Uni seems to be going towards more launched, sensored, and other specialized coasters, that kinds knocks B&M out. If Uni decides to build a Hulk/HRRR type, exposed steel coaster at the third park, I'd be surprised if it was anyone other than B&M.

I doubt we see an RMC at Uni. A wood coaster probably will never happen, and the RMC all steel stuff is just too new and low capacity. But for your average regional park, you are right, they are doing things no one else is right now.

I honestly see a RMC at the new park, but I would be fine with a B&M Wing Coaster too :)

Anyways - I'm super stoked that this is another Intamin project and not something from Mack or B&M. The only other acceptable manufacturer for a ride like this would be Vekoma, who works on all of Disney's coasters (excluding slinky). To me, Intamin is the creme de la creme of roller coaster hardware, and if this is going to be more coaster and less show then I think you're all in for a real treat.

Anyways - I'm super stoked that this is another Intamin project and not something from Mack or B&M. The only other acceptable manufacturer for a ride like this would be Vekoma, who works on all of Disney's coasters (excluding slinky). To me, Intamin is the creme de la creme of roller coaster hardware, and if this is going to be more coaster and less show then I think you're all in for a real treat.
yes I like intamin personally and i think this will be the same track as we see on cheetah hunt and others like it. I think this will be a true coaster unlike gringotts, lots of track.

Vekoma gets a bad rep, but I think they are improving each time they open a project

Intamin is good for what Universal does....High concept type rides

kinda off-topic, but you could do a REALLY well themed B&M winged in HP
As much as I want a wing rider in FL, I think it would only replace the issue that happened with Dragon Challenge

Now, Godzilla themed one in a destroyed city, that's another story

giphy.gif

Intamin is not creme de la creme, they low bid to get projects, manage to mess up all the time, and use outsourced eastern european fabrication. Gringott's delays are due to Intamin. Maverick having to retract before opening was Intamin. How about Thighcursh? And if we broaden our horizons some lets throw in Falcon's Fury. They're reputation proceeds them, there's a reason why they have built only two new coasters in the USA in five years.

And then to suggest Vekoma is the back up is just as hilarious.

^And yet they're the only ones in the game truly pushing the theme park industry to new levels so idk what to tell you. Intamin has arguably the best steel and wooden roller coasters in the world, the tallest, and the fastest. Intamin rides are smooth and have a way bigger spectrum of forces (negative and positive) than any other coaster type, only Vekoma and RMC come close to matching the intensity of an Intamin coaster. There's a reason why people are buzzing about rides like Taron and completely ignore the multitude of B&M's currently under construction in China, a lot mind you that are breaking records in their respective classes.

And it's become very clear to me that you haven't seen what Vekoma has been up to lately. I suggest you take a quick trip over to Youtube and take a virtual ride on some of their latest creations - you might eat your words.

Bottom line is that Intamin is awesome, Vekoma is becoming awesome, RMC has always been awesome, and B&M is still your standard and basic fare. Mako is definitely great - but they couldn't help themselves and trimmed the fun right out of it.

Given what we know (or can surmise) about this project, is there any chance in hades that the ride vehicle will consist of more artistically designed (imo) cars in small trains, like in Gringotts? Or will the vehicle by default be a traditional multi-car train with minimal design elements? Is it at all possible to design an extended train in such a way that the track is not in the line of sight of the rider except during more extreme lifts and drops?

Yes, I'm hung up on this whole visible-track-and silly-ride-vehicle-as-immersion-killer issue.

Given what we know (or can surmise) about this project, is there any chance in hades that the ride vehicle will consist of more artistically designed (imo) cars in small trains, like in Gringotts? Or will the vehicle by default be a traditional multi-car train with minimal design elements? Is it at all possible to design an extended train in such a way that the track is not in the line of sight of the rider except during more extreme lifts and drops?

Yes, I'm hung up on this whole visible-track-and silly-ride-vehicle-as-immersion-killer issue.
I know nothing but... I’d expect something on the scale of Hippogryph. Definetely themed, but you can tell it’s still a coaster car.

Call me stupid, but I reckon an Intamin Family Drop Coaster would be a good fit for this project if Universal wants something for everyone. I believe one of these was actually rumoured for Gringotts, so Universal may well have looked into the hardware before. I reckon one of these would be a good fit because:
  • The ride system can appeal to just about everyone. Thirteen at Alton Towers has a 1.2m (47") height restriction, and Universal could probably make that a little bit lower if they wanted to. Also, Thirteen is a fantastic family coaster that's great fun for everyone!
  • It would most likely have a great throughput, which a park like IOA that gets 9 million visitors per year definitely needs. If you've seen the way that Thirteen at Alton Towers chucks trains around, then you will know that throughput is not a problem for this ride type. Thirteen has a theoretical throughput of 1200pph, but some sources have said that the ride achieved over 1400pph multiple times in its first year of operation, so if Universal designed it with a dual station like Gringotts has and a decent amount of different sections, then I reckon they could achieve a throughput close to 2000pph. I think Universal are keeping the Dragon Challenge station for this coaster, so they could definitely fit a dual station in.
  • The ride system can easily be enclosed and I think it would even be able to accommodate dark ride sections, which would be good for Universal.
Overall, whatever it turns out to be, I'm sure this project will be an intriguing one to watch over the next year.

Call me stupid, but I reckon an Intamin Family Drop Coaster would be a good fit for this project if Universal wants something for everyone. I believe one of these was actually rumoured for Gringotts, so Universal may well have looked into the hardware before. I reckon one of these would be a good fit because:
  • The ride system can appeal to just about everyone. Thirteen at Alton Towers has a 1.2m (47") height restriction, and Universal could probably make that a little bit lower if they wanted to. Also, Thirteen is a fantastic family coaster that's great fun for everyone!
  • It would most likely have a great throughput, which a park like IOA that gets 9 million visitors per year definitely needs. If you've seen the way that Thirteen at Alton Towers chucks trains around, then you will know that throughput is not a problem for this ride type. Thirteen has a theoretical throughput of 1200pph, but some sources have said that the ride achieved over 1400pph multiple times in its first year of operation, so if Universal designed it with a dual station like Gringotts has and a decent amount of different sections, then I reckon they could achieve a throughput close to 2000pph. I think Universal are keeping the Dragon Challenge station for this coaster, so they could definitely fit a dual station in.
  • The ride system can easily be enclosed and I think it would even be able to accommodate dark ride sections, which would be good for Universal.
Overall, whatever it turns out to be, I'm sure this project will be an intriguing one to watch over the next year.

Park's don't dictate safety limits. Its the ride manufacturer and based on restraints.

Last edited:
God help us if it’s anything like thirteen. That ride was so hyped up and when I finally rode it I was bitterly disappointed
No way it will be like that...Universal has deeper pockets and more resources

Certainly not knocking Alton Towers, they are a great park

they WERE a great park. they've not recovered from the accident, and I doubt they ever will. I was talking with a friend last week about wicker man and he said he really wants to ride it but won't because of alton towers,
but in the case of thirteen it was the feel of the ride that was so disappointing

but in the case of thirteen it was the feel of the ride that was so disappointing
Completely agree, I was disappointed when I rode that for the first time. It's not better the second time either!

Completely agree, I was disappointed when I rode that for the first time. It's not better the second time either!

Agreed it’s a bad kiddy coaster with a novelty drop. I remember when It first opened it was marketed as like the scariest coaster in the world, rode it and was severely disappointed.

Edit: Various quotes from articles when thirteen opened
-“Alton towers loudly proclaiming its new ride would be the ultimate roller coaster and feature a worlds firstt element”
-“Alton towers said its going to be so scary they’re considering an upper age limit”

Status
Not open for further replies.