Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 364 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This track is riddled with break runs before and after everything. Too, not only is there programming code monitoring every move of the coaster but programming code monitoring every track switch. On top of all of that is additional programming code that monitors and second guesses all the other programs running. That code is called the system supervisor. The only thing that can’t be monitored real time is a wheel snapping off or an earthquake. Universal is really picky about all of this code and that all is triple checked.

The metal detectors show that universal are taking earth seriously even if it comes at a cost to the experience.

Reactions: Joseph
Just going back to the Pottermore article and sorry if this has already been addressed, but im curious about this paragraph:

The new coaster, which follows in the footsteps of the now-closed Dragon Challenge attraction, promises to immerse guests in an ‘all-new adventure’ in the ‘next instalment’ of the Wizarding World. Any guesses what it might be?

What do you think is meant by 'next instalment' of the Wizarding World? Do they just mean the next instalment of UOR's wizarding world? Probably, but it doesn't read that way to me, especially with the speech marks around next instalment. Could it possibly be alluding to it being set in a period of time after the HP series? I'm not that clued up in the WW so im not really sure what comes after that anyway, if anything.

Reactions: Coasted
Just going back to the Pottermore article and sorry if this has already been addressed, but im curious about this paragraph:

The new coaster, which follows in the footsteps of the now-closed Dragon Challenge attraction, promises to immerse guests in an ‘all-new adventure’ in the ‘next instalment’ of the Wizarding World. Any guesses what it might be?

What do you think is meant by 'next instalment' of the Wizarding World? Do they just mean the next instalment of UOR's wizarding world? Probably, but it doesn't read that way to me, especially with the speech marks around next instalment. Could it possibly be alluding to it being set in a period of time after the HP series? I'm not that clued up in the WW so im not really sure what comes after that anyway, if anything.
Overthinking it. It’s just saying a new ride in the land.

I love what a big difference trees make when it comes to creating a convincing environment.

I'm curious. Are they considered an especial hazard in close proximity to coaster tracks in a place like Florida that can can get hurricane force winds at times (falling branches, etc)

I love what a big difference trees make when it comes to creating a convincing environment.

I'm curious. Are they considered an especial hazard in close proximity to coaster tracks in a place like Florida that can can get hurricane force winds at times (falling branches, etc)

Those pines will overtime become a hazard in a hurricane. As I recall after a hurricane I went through, those pines have a 1’ - 2’ tap root... and that is all. They just tumble right over.

ON the other hand, there are some very tall pines of the same species on Turkey Lake road just beyond the DC sound barrier wall and I don’t recall them going down... but that might have been because of the wall sheltering them from the wind.

On another note, NOW I am worried about how the steel wall frame is supporting all of the weight of these massive wood timbers. It all looks so damned heavy!

Last edited:
Those pines will overtime become a hazard in a hurricane. As I recall after a hurricane I went through, those pines have a 1’ - 2’ tap root... and that is all. They just tumble right over.

ON the other hand, there are some very tall pines of the same species on Turkey Lake road just beyond the DC sound barrier wall and I don’t recall them going down... but that might have been because of the wall sheltering them from the wind.

On another note, NOW I am worried about how the steel wall frame is supporting all of the weight of these massive wood timbers. It all looks so damned heavy!

Makes sense. I guess, ultimately, it's not a big deal since the ride would shut down if a big storm was imminent. Just a matter of cleaning up the mess, sawing off broken branches, and maybe planting some new trees, and it's good to go again.

Yes, those timbers do look impressively heavy, don't they?!

Reactions: HPFred
It’s quite possible the trees are being installed with supports to help keep them up during a tropical storm/hurricane.
Of course anything above a cat 2 would probably wipe them out; but Orlando rarely gets storms of that caliber. By the time they hit Orlando they are usually down graded.

The theme park area has been very lucky when it comes to storms (knock on wood)

Except, it's not really "hi-tech." There's nothing on the ride itself that hasn't been done before. Gringotts is a more technologically advanced coaster than this is. This has a drop-track, but that's not really complicated. It's the combination of a backwards section AND drop track that makes this interesting. But again, not super complicated. Just unique.

They also don't want to oversell the thrill, or else they'll lose the "family coaster" aspect of the ride.

Strongly disagree here.

-There are only 6 coasters in the world with a drop track. One in America.

-This has a backwards section with a track switch into the drop track. A first.

-This has show scenes with rotating platforms which will have their own technical achievements via AAs, screens and other props

-There are outdoor AAs and movements littering the entire track, some which will require precision with the coaster car itself (the anglia).

-A moving loading platform.

-And how many launches will this thing have, again?

And that’s just what we know of.

If we don’t call this coaster hi-tech, then what the hell is? This thing is going to be a technical marvel.

Rotating rooms? It’s an Intamin Family multi launch coaster. Nothing that hasn’t been done before by the manufacturer. Gringotts has way more bells and whistles than this does, technologically speaking. The good news is that this ride will be way more effective in executing its gimmicks than Gringotts does.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Strongly disagree here.

-This has show scenes with rotating platforms which will have their own technical achievements via AAs, screens and other props

-There are outdoor AAs and movements littering the entire track, some which will require precision with the coaster car itself (the anglia).

If we don’t call this coaster hi-tech, then what the hell is? This thing is going to be a technical marvel.
6 launches total. A couple small, but mostly of decent strength. I’m not a coaster expert, but that seems like a lot to me. (So many that people have gotten into arguments with me on the internet because they don’t believe me lol.) There’s definitely some amazing tech going on here. Even if it’s all been done before, the combination is certainly unique.

Universal doesn’t really boast about the technical specs for their rides the way Busch Gardens or Six Flags would though. They’ve already been calling it the most highly themed coaster they’ve ever built, and I think that’s what they’re most proud of here.

They’ll let Intamin tout the coaster stats I’m sure.

Universal doesn’t really boast about the technical specs for their rides the way Busch Gardens or Six Flags would though. They’ve already been calling it the most highly themed coaster they’ve ever built, and I think that’s what they’re most proud of here.
Yep, I also find it interesting how Universal never really advertises that Volcano Bay has the 3 tallest waterslides in america, and tallest drop capsule slides in the world.

Well if you really wanna milk it out, there are multiple launches per launch segment so really it's like maybe 14 or 15 launches not counting the backwards launch even... ijs lol:grin:

Reactions: tielo
Strongly disagree here.

I'd call it innovative, but nothing is "new" or "hi tech." The backwards section with a track switch has been done (at Disney, at that), which is a separate action from the drop track. The AAs, internal and external, have been done. The Anglia, as the "first" big movement we know of, is easier to synch because it synchs with the dispatch. Moving platforms have been done. There's also fire effects and launches. But everything has been done before. And the ride structure (save for the key ride mechanics) allows Fluffy to deadline without destroying the experience.

It's an innovative ride. It's a technologically advanced ride. But, apart from being outside and having drop track, most of it relies on the same principles as Mummy: show scenes and launches. And that's a huge plus - I still don't call it "high tech."

I'd call it innovative, but nothing is "new" or "hi tech." The backwards section with a track switch has been done (at Disney, at that), which is a separate action from the drop track. The AAs, internal and external, have been done. The Anglia, as the "first" big movement we know of, is easier to synch because it synchs with the dispatch. Moving platforms have been done. There's also fire effects and launches. But everything has been done before. And the ride structure (save for the key ride mechanics) allows Fluffy to deadline without destroying the experience.

It's an innovative ride. It's a technologically advanced ride. But, apart from being outside and having drop track, most of it relies on the same principles as Mummy: show scenes and launches. And that's a huge plus - I still don't call it "high tech."
Innovative is still a compliment. :clap:

Reactions: Andysol

Gringotts isn’t much different than Mummy + Spider-Man. Since you used that as the hi tech bar, what has Gringott’s done that hasn’t been done before as a combination of other ride’s effects that is so revolutionary or high tech?

Boat dark rides and flume rides existed separately before.

I believe we’re meaning the same thing just getting hung up on words and definitions. But I sincerely believe this coaster has the potential to completely redefine the way we view a roller coaster in the same way Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror redefined how we see flume rides and drop towers.

Last edited:
Reactions: HPFred
Status
Not open for further replies.