Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's funny that Murdy is against Gremlins since obviously it would have to be mainly puppets, yet we've still had Chucky executed with live actors for several years already.

Reactions: rageofthegods
I wonder if they were to ever bring Child's Play back and actually have Chucky's scares come from actual puppets. A puppeteering heavy maze of the sort would be interesting especially with that IP.

Yeah it would make sense but you gotta ask...

Wait how have they been doing Chucky this past couple years?
View attachment 8645
View attachment 8646
View attachment 8647
It's not that I don't agree on Chucky coming back. He's huge in marketing and such. But Hollywood doesn't really know how to do Chucky properly.

Not counting his appearances in House of Horrors (or Remix), and you have him for the most part (outside of 2010 and 2009) being not exactly as used as a cow singing all-star.

I think there is, room for something larger with the doll. And it would make sense, as he does bring in money, regardless of what we have to say.

It's funny that Murdy is against Gremlins since obviously it would have to be mainly puppets, yet we've still had Chucky executed with live actors for several years already.

Maybe full suit Gremlins are more expensive than full suit Chuckies? IDK.

I wonder if they were to ever bring Child's Play back and actually have Chucky's scares come from actual puppets. A puppeteering heavy maze of the sort would be interesting especially with that IP.

Poltergeist felt like the first step towards a more "puppet" focused maze. That maze had tons of actors, but I feel like there were more blackout-scares than any other maze previously. The Chucky maze could pretty much be the Krampus attic for an entire maze, recycling gags like the bear jumping out of the box (Chucky out of a good guy box), the angel leaping down from the rafters (Chucky on top of the stairs in Child's Play 2), or the robot on the actor's back (Chucky attacking Kyle). They could also do some new gags, like have the school closet full of clothes and have Chucky "leap out" from behind the clothes (blackout actor manipulating him from behind).

They could even do the Poltergeist coffin gag, just with the Chuckies in the Good-guy boxes at the factory at the end. That'd be fun. What would be really cool is if they actually varied the height that Chucky attacked you from, like some Chuckies come from face-level, but some jump from boxes above and come out of boxes from below. That'd be an awesome twist to the formula.

Do you think they may do something small for him, given that the remake is coming out in June?

It definitely seems like prime-time to strike the iron.

Not counting his appearances in House of Horrors (or Remix), and you have him for the most part (outside of 2010 and 2009) being not exactly as used as a cow singing all-star.

I think there is, room for something larger with the doll. And it would make sense, as he does bring in money, regardless of what we have to say.

^ditto. Folks love Chucky. I was actually surprised; I was talking to a bunch of Chinese transfer students about horror, and their eyes kinda glazed over when I showed them Freddy and Michael. When I got to Chucky, though, they almost burst out of their seat and said "Oh hey! I know that guy!"

(EDIT: Now that I think about it, that might be because of Ready Player One more than anything lol)

It's bizarre. I feel like, while most people recognize Jason or Freddy, they think more about Chucky, just because the idea is so scary. "Your doll is alive and will murder you and no-one will believe you" just feels more terrifying than "this big guy will kill you if you go to sleep / go to summer camp" I guess.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Well as mentioned before, I'm pretty sure the only way they can execute a memorable (for the right reasons) maze for Chucky is if they took the evil toys route; having an original story line of Chucky bringing all these different toys to life and having them wreck havoc, with him popping up every other room or so. A better execution of Chucky's Funhouse to be exact. It is unfortunate that a lot of the most anticipated horror movies for this year are being distributed by companies that most likely won't let USH utilize those IPs. Regardless I really hope we just get Crypt TV more involved this year.

Though I could understand the idea of a Child's Play maze being exciting, in reality its probably something we wouldn't really want, as it would likely be a lot of black room scares similar to the Sam scares in Trick r Treat, especially since in recent years smaller statured actors in mazes are almost entirely confined to those scenes after safety concerns, that and HHN hasn't really tried scares involving puppets as small as chucky without sizing them up, a la the bear in krampus.

Though I could understand the idea of a Child's Play maze being exciting, in reality its probably something we wouldn't really want, as it would likely be a lot of black room scares similar to the Sam scares in Trick r Treat, especially since in recent years smaller statured actors in mazes are almost entirely confined to those scenes after safety concerns, that and HHN hasn't really tried scares involving puppets as small as chucky without sizing them up, a la the bear in krampus.

Ahhh, that's why. I was wondering why Sam didn't get many door scares. Couldn't have just been laziness.

I don't think scaling up Chucky for those box scares / puppets is necessarily a bad thing. The Chucky dolls are huge, it'd certainly be less jarring than the giant angel doll from Krampus.

Plus, if they wanted to do Cult, that movie literally solves the character issue right at the end. Chucky is possessing other people now. We can have Jennifer Tilly in a maze. Hurrah!

Ahhh, that's why. I was wondering why Sam didn't get many door scares. Couldn't have just been laziness.

I don't think scaling up Chucky for those box scares / puppets is necessarily a bad thing. The Chucky dolls are huge, it'd certainly be less jarring than the giant angel doll from Krampus.

Plus, if they wanted to do Cult, that movie literally solves the character issue right at the end. Chucky is possessing other people now. We can have Jennifer Tilly in a maze. Hurrah!
I mean if they really wanted to they could find a way to theme the box scares but considering how small of a part Chucky his had in all his previous appearances I doubt they'd put in the effort. (Also, fun fact, the safety thing was the same reason why we didn't see Sam roaming the TrT scare zone till closing night.)

You may have been misinformed. Confining actors to those spaces has little to do with safety regarding their stature and everything to do with their visibility: simply put, the masked Sam's could not see very well, so they needed to be behind protected barriers they could lean on and not fall over.

There's been a trend to avoid doors, where possible, because they require additional theming and easily break.

You may have been misinformed. Confining actors to those spaces has little to do with safety regarding their stature and everything to do with their visibility: simply put, the masked Sam's could not see very well, so they needed to be behind protected barriers they could lean on and not fall over.

There's been a trend to avoid doors, where possible, because they require additional theming and easily break.

Huh. Is that the same deal with the other blackout scarers (Skeletor and face-peeling man)? I remember they had bars too.

I've heard a mix of both, the visibility thing was particular to Sam, but overall in the event there have been a lot fewer short statured actors in recent years, and they tend to go through some of the most abuse from guests.

I don’t think they’ll do Chucky in HW this year, when they use him it’s usually to cross promote a movie(under Universal’s franchise). I won’t be shocked if Child’s Play 2/3 comes but I’d rather a curveball IP come instead

And on another note, hopefully Jordan Peele approves Us’ use at HHN. Still don’t get why we couldn’t get Get Out even though we had TFP which was pretty political

I don’t think they’ll do Chucky in HW this year, when they use him it’s usually to cross promote a movie(under Universal’s franchise). I won’t be shocked if Child’s Play 2/3 comes but I’d rather a curveball IP come instead

And on another note, hopefully Jordan Peele approves Us’ use at HHN. Still don’t get why we couldn’t get Get Out even though we had TFP which was pretty political

They better play "I Got 5 On It" in the queue, else I revolt.

Huh. Is that the same deal with the other blackout scarers (Skeletor and face-peeling man)? I remember they had bars too.

Generally, if there's a larger platform, there's going to be a bar. Both of those characters had pretty awful visibility, though. In Sam's case, they wanted to make sure you actually saw the full suit they bothered to make (so you didn't just see their upper half in a window).

I've heard a mix of both, the visibility thing was particular to Sam, but overall in the event there have been a lot fewer short statured actors in recent years, and they tend to go through some of the most abuse from guests.

While it's absolutely true that shorter actors get more abuse than guests, it's not true that there have been fewer cast. Too many properties require them.

Generally, if there's a larger platform, there's going to be a bar. Both of those characters had pretty awful visibility, though. In Sam's case, they wanted to make sure you actually saw the full suit they bothered to make (so you didn't just see their upper half in a window).

While it's absolutely true that shorter actors get more abuse than guests, it's not true that there have been fewer cast. Too many properties require them.
When I referred to shorter statured actors I meant around 4 feet tall or shorter, as those tend to be the actors cast as Chucky in the past, I should have specified.

1. IT (102)
2. Haunting of Hill House (87)
3. Halloween (84)
4. Scream (72)
5. Killer Klowns from Outer Space (69)
6. Stranger Things (65)
7. La Llorona (56)
8. UCM (52)
9. Conjuring (50)
10. Thing (48)

Honorable Mentions:
- Hellraiser (46)
- Original Mazes (33)

1. IT (196)
2. The Nun (91)
3. AHS (87)
4. Stranger Things (82)
5. Conjuring (78)
6. Halloween (71)
7. La Llorona (63)
8. Monsters (53)
9. Klowns (51)
10. Haunting (51)

Honorable Mentions:
- Scream (48)
- Hellraiser (47)

1. Killer Klowns from Outer Space (8)
2. IT (7)
3. Monsters (7)
4. Halloween (7)
5. Nun (6)
6. Stranger Things (6)
7. Hellraiser (6)
8. Haunting (5)
9. TCM (4)
10. NOES (4)

It's not that much for Facebook because 95% of the posts weren't requesting properties but complaining about the event.

Just a thought but maybe they would want to bring Monsters back instead of doing Chucky because of it getting number 1 of the year.

And how there was a bunch of tweets saying how fantastic it was and also how it made the top 10 most requested lists asking for it to come back and Murdy saying how he is open to bringing it back.

And like @rageofthegods said maybe it's one of the tricks which is bringing back Monsters this year. Also the fact that when they brought back La Llorona and AVP. They didn't wait a year and then do it. No they just did again the next year with some changes (Albeit AvP had little to no changes).

This could also support the claim that Monsters could come back.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Just a thought but maybe they would want to bring Monsters back instead of doing Chucky because of it getting number 1 of the year.

And how there was a bunch of tweets saying how fantastic it was and also how it made the top 10 most requested lists asking for it to come back and Murdy saying how he is open to bringing it back.

And like @rageofthegods said maybe it's one of the tricks which is bringing back Monsters this year. Also the fact that when they brought back La Llorona and AVP. They didn't wait a year and then do it. No they just did again the next year with some changes (Albeit AvP had little to no changes).

This could also support the claim that Monsters could come back.

Just a thought.

I feel like that last one is more a reference to mazes based on older films (Hellraiser, Killer Klownz). Nonetheless, I think there's strong evidence for a Monsters repeat, especially with how much Murdy personally likes the maze. I wanna see the Wolfman caravan and Creatire from the Black Lagoon!

Reactions: HHNManics
Double post, but here's a funny thought:

Last year is, I believe, the first time ever that we've had two mazes that take place during Halloween! (Halloween 4 and Trick R Treat)

If the speculated lineup is correct, then we'll have at least two mazes set on Halloween again (Stranger Things 2 and Haunting of Hill House)

Just a neat tidbit.

Reactions: KreepyKarpy