Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I could see that happen, but usually there’s at least one or two house leaks that happen on accident from Universal. My favorite was last year when they accidentally uploaded the whole lineup

My favorite leak was when that guest staying at the Orlando hotel, last summer, saw an add on their TV that confirmed Halloween 4 and Poltergeist (as well as the already confirmed Stranger Things) were gonna be at the event before either of those two were even announced for both parks.

Reactions: Kadath
There have been a lot of mentions of it being 3D or how it's likely that Klowns could be 3D. Again I wouldn't want it but I see it as likely. Seeing as though the Klowns doesn't fit the standard dark and claustrophobic maze atmosphere.

Yess, killer clowns in 3d! But I sadly think its going to be somewhere on the lines of giggles and gore in orlando. 3d mazes will make a comeback I sense it

Speaking of Klowns...

I know I pointed out awhile ago that I didn't want to see Klowns in 3D but I gotta say after thinking about it I think there's a chance it may happen.

(Not sure if he is referring to Would like to give a Comedy maze a shot again or Evil Dead Maze)

Like certain things already work for the 3D aspect (The Tent from Beginning, Polka Dots from Police Station, Carnival at the end of the film). And although I wouldn't want this I kinda see it being hugely tempting and possible since Klowns isn't really a dark and non colorful property to begin with. Additionally I feel as though Orlando may do their maze in 3D and I feel as though we would follow suit. Which could also be a Trick as well because most people wouldn't expect a 3D maze this year.

Since hhn hollywood has a fettish for black walls, i think it would screw up kilker clowns if they went non 3d. Just look at trick or treat, Clowns 3d in 2014 had less black hallways, but since they did that maze. I can see it maybe or may not be coming back with a clown 3d type deal. Like usual we may get the non superior version of this. Maybe music will be redone by slash is another thought

Since hhn hollywood has a fettish for black walls, i think it would screw up kilker clowns if they went non 3d. Just look at trick or treat, Clowns 3d in 2014 had less black hallways, but since they did that maze. I can see it maybe or may not be coming back with a clown 3d type deal. Like usual we may get the non superior version of this. Maybe music will be redone by slash is another thought

Im one of the people that legitimately thought TrT was a great maze, but I digress. I think in 2014 had less black walls in general. With how expensive some of the mazes this year are looking (Hill House and Hellraiser especially) I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a lot of black wallz this year too.

With how expensive some of the mazes this year are looking (Hill House and Hellraiser especially) I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a lot of black wallz this year too.
They made a lot of money off of Alcohol Sales last year and other stuff they should hopefully be fine. Hellraiser can definitely reuse walls from AHS Murder House and other mazes with the costumes and effects being the main things. And Hill House should be the biggest costing maze (However I thought Stranger Things would be the highest costing last year but Monsters was) along with reusing the most expensive maze from the previous year (Monsters) and having a SZ return (Monster Masquerade) it should help out the budget. The Mexican original can definitely reuse stuff from El Cucuy and La Llorona. They can reuse the Lab for ST and possibly other sets. And they can definitely reuse some sets for Klowns (If it's 3D). Additionally Blumhouse 3 can reuse HDD Sets for HDD. And if they decide to do a Purge Zone they can definitely reuse stuff from the previous zones (Which I would think Purge would be Opening).

So if they are smart this year should be fine.

This is going to be a critical for me. If they can't sort out this whole mess with black walls, my interest in this event will completely disappear as all of the mazes are totally predictable now. Some of the houses were done almost exactly how I pictured they would be last year (Reuse props and sets here, black hallway here, etc.) My interest is already kind of waning in HHN Hollywood. I don't plan on buying my FFP until EP starts.

I am totally fine with this event being much smaller than Orlando. If anything, I really don't want this event to be as big as Orlando as apparently they may be veering slightly more towards quantity over quality over there (Two Stranger Things houses? TWO? That's a serious rumor!?). I would rather have only half as many houses like 2016 that are awesome than three great houses, a chunk of good houses, an okay house, and a house that flat-out sucks.

Now that alcohol is in the picture and they will have some returning properties, they should have the money to at least get caught up to where they should be. If they can't get their crap together on those stupid black walls despite reusing sets and props, then I have given up hope on this event.

Reactions: Slyndsay
^Just curious, and not being snarky in any way, but if you did end up giving up on HHN, what event(s) are better than HHN in your opinion?

^Just curious, and not being snarky in any way, but if you did end up giving up on HHN, what event(s) are better than HHN in your opinion?
I feel Fright Fest has significantly improved and feel their set quality is on-par with how HHN used to be (Hell Fest and Condamned). You can argue some of their sets in some of those scenes need work and even if they do, it’s better than 2/3 being bare black walls. Not to mention they have a variety of scares and even use trigger scares like HHN does. If the rumor is true that they will make it a hard-ticketed event, they can only go up from there.

Knott’s has certainly improved and I feel is better than HHN. Even if they’re only two new mazes, they’re better than what HHN does IMO.

Don’t get me started in HHNO, RoT, and even home haunts like Murder House Productions (A home haunt!) Those are all far more enjoyable and creative than what HHN has become.

I’m even willing to give WB another chance at this point. At least they’re willing to listen to those who go and want to improve. Uni seems to continue on business as usual.

I could see that happen, but usually there’s at least one or two house leaks that happen on accident from Universal. My favorite was last year when they accidentally uploaded the whole lineup

I got a kick out of that too. Good for fans though..
Monsterpalooza will usually release new scare zones as well.
Always a favorite event of mine..

If black walls are your pet peeve, then I totally agree with your that Knott's and even Fright Fest are far superior. But their downfall also comes from the fact that so many of their mazes are exact or nearly exact for years. They're enjoyable, but there's little repeat visit factor (although Fright Fest does still get me to go just because it's so incredibly cheap by comparison--but seriously, they're the worst at it. Willoughby's has been exactly the same since it debuted in 2012). I tend to only visit Knott's every other year, because going yearly just means too much of it being the same as last year. At least with alternating years, about half the mazes are new.

So it's a double edged sword... HHN does have a lot of black walls, but they also have a totally new experience every year. Not defending it, but just saying there's a price to be paid for having no black walls--and that's having the exact same maze for years. Based on how the HHN crowd has reacted when a maze has repeated, I don't see it going over well (although we'll have to see if that reaction is different if Universal Monsters does end up returning).

If black walls are your pet peeve, then I totally agree with your that Knott's and even Fright Fest are far superior. But their downfall also comes from the fact that so many of their mazes are exact or nearly exact for years. They're enjoyable, but there's little repeat visit factor (although Fright Fest does still get me to go just because it's so incredibly cheap by comparison--but seriously, they're the worst at it. Willoughby's has been exactly the same since it debuted in 2012). I tend to only visit Knott's every other year, because going yearly just means too much of it being the same as last year. At least with alternating years, about half the mazes are new.

So it's a double edged sword... HHN does have a lot of black walls, but they also have a totally new experience every year. Not defending it, but just saying there's a price to be paid for having no black walls--and that's having the exact same maze for years. Based on how the HHN crowd has reacted when a maze has repeated, I don't see it going over well (although we'll have to see if that reaction is different if Universal Monsters does end up returning).
Very true. I wouldn’t mind if Monsters returned as long as at least half or even a third of the maze is changed up.

I feel that HHN could get away with repeating a maze year to year so long as the creative team take strides to improve it and make changes, as the main outcry towards AvP's repetition was that it was exactly the same. Similarly with Knotts, although 95% of their line up is repeated each year, they usually try to update or mix up at least a few of the returning mazes.

So if we do get Hellraiser I wonder when they’ll announce it. 2016 and 2017 had the classic IP’s announced early on but last year Poltergeist was announced nearly last

So if we do get Hellraiser I wonder when they’ll announce it. 2016 and 2017 had the classic IP’s announced early on but last year Poltergeist was announced nearly last

Depends on what Property Uni thinks will generate the most ink, I guess. Usually thats a big property thats new to the event, so Exorcist, The Shining, and Stranger Things.

This year's spec lineup includes alot of new properties, unlike 2016 and 17 which had a ton of repeats. On the one hand, you could argue that AHS was bigger for 2016 than Exorcist, but on the other hand, Poltergeist isn't nearly as well known as Stranger Things.

IMO, it makes the most sense to announce Hill House first. It was a smash hit show last year, but theres been no second season last year, so they probably shouldnt delay announcing it, especially if its gonna feature in marketing a ton.

Hellraiser feels like either the second property announced (thats probably gonna be Killer Klownz tho) or one of the mid-summer rimshots.

IMO, it makes the most sense to announce Hill House first. It was a smash hit show last year, but theres been no second season last year, so they probably shouldnt delay announcing it, especially if its gonna feature in marketing a ton.
Or just announce Stranger Things first because it will be the most popular property at the event and to market Season 3 a lot. Seeing as though it is the icon of the event in a way/most popular property (TWD, AHS, ST).

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Or just announce Stranger Things first because it will be the most popular property at the event and to market Season 3 a lot. Seeing as though it is the icon of the event in a way/most popular property (TWD, AHS, ST).

I still feel like thatll put Hill House in an awkward position vis a vis being last year's biggest thing. Idk.

But speaking of TV shows: what happened to those Twilight Zone rumors? Those died down quick.