Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 219 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So I just got back from my Orlando visit. Did HHN as well as HOS at Busch Gardens. Obviously, everything is just my own opinion, but quick thoughts:

Klownz: No question, Hollywood Klowz is way, way, better than Orlando. With the exception of a cool Klownzilla prop, theirs was terrible. It's almost as if the expectations of the parks switched for that maze: we got the Orlando version, and they got ours. Crazy and unexpected, but enjoy it, folks.

Ghostbusters: a push. Each coast has good parts and bad parts. I suppose Orlando gets the edge a bit, but really, not by much. Orlando got a very large and elaborate set for Gozer asking "Are you a God? Then die!", but their Stay Puff is bad and barely visble. We barely got Gozer, but have a much better Stay Puff scene. That's just one example. The difference is also largely digital vs. practical effects, which would color which version you like better: Orlando has a lot of digital, we have a lot of practical.

Us: Another push. I like how ours has better contrasts between light and dark... it's actually fairly unsettling for me to be in the brightness of that house and hallway. We also overall have better actors and fight scene. In Orlando, it's all fairly dark. But they got a scene where you see the family standing in the driveway in the distance... even though it's static, it's very cool.

Corpses: again, a push. They stay more true to the movie and they show the Firefly family more, but the scenes are totally out of order... to a point that I got irritated, as it was really hard to follow what was going on. Barely any movie ride, and it's at the very end. Confusing. I know ours is nearly 1/2 movie ride, but I personally like that. And it may skip a lot of the movie, but at least it's sequential. So no real winner either coast.

Stranger Things: no question there either, Orlando is better.

Of the original mazes, I personally totally loved Depths of Fear. That idea did nothing for me on paper, but in execution, it scared me more than nearly any other maze I've ever been in. Even on a second run thought later in the night. The sound design, the sets, the use of puppet scares from every direction just wowed me. But all the original mazes are pretty good, amazing in sets, actors/scares hit and miss.

This was my second visit there, and while I do love the sets and vibe, I once again found most of their scares predictable, and while there is some very good talent, not all of it is. I feel like 95% of Hollywood scareactors are all on point. They also have a lot more entertainment... the water show is fun, and the Academy of Villains was more entertaining than Jabawokeez... though they do "cheat" a bit by bringing in outside acts. Pizza Fries were good, but not as amazing as others seem to think.

Another observation: they seem to use actual child actors quite a bit in both Stranger Things and Us. I'm guessing that's something you can't easily get away with in California; I wonder how Orlando does it.

It was also a bit interesting to note that when we told many of the team members out there (we did the RIP tour) we were from LA and had done our HHN many times already, they sounded honestly a bit nervous and hoped their event would compare. It may have just been polite, but interesting nevertheless. I feel like the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, because I was hearing a lot of people dissect mazes over there to death as much as some here do. And while we were in line, there were some guys behind us playing the video of our opening Scaremony and being wowed.

On a quick side note, HOS was fun, but clearly a lower budget. Still, some inventive ideas, and they definitely have LOTS of bungee scares, and was really aggressive about them... but they worked, and would really get inches from your face out of nowhere. It was super cool. I may post a slightly more detailed review in that thread in a day or two.

I think that will be the last slammed Sunday until Halloween weekend. It was the last Sunday of September, so those folks with the September pass were probably getting in a last visit before they’re blocked. Also lots of GP folks taking advantage of the last of the “cheap” night stuff until November.

Now that we are entering October and it’s “officially” Halloween season, I’m curious if the crowds will spike or stay kinda where they are. In the past, it always seemed like attendance increased pretty dramatically up once we got into October, but I’m not so sure this time around. Now that HHN and Halloween in general are both so insanely popular these days, I kinda wonder if a lot of people took advantage of the cheaper September tickets and are now kinda in “been there, done that, what’s next” mode. It’ll be interesting.

I think that will be the last slammed Sunday until Halloween weekend. It was the last Sunday of September, so those folks with the September pass were probably getting in a last visit before they’re blocked.

Today was a holiday for LAUSD students, so they were able to be up late last night. That also may have been a part of crowds on Sunday.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
So I just got back from my Orlando visit. Did HHN as well as HOS at Busch Gardens. Obviously, everything is just my own opinion, but quick thoughts:

Klownz: No question, Hollywood Klowz is way, way, better than Orlando. With the exception of a cool Klownzilla prop, theirs was terrible. It's almost as if the expectations of the parks switched for that maze: we got the Orlando version, and they got ours. Crazy and unexpected, but enjoy it, folks.

Ghostbusters: a push. Each coast has good parts and bad parts. I suppose Orlando gets the edge a bit, but really, not by much. Orlando got a very large and elaborate set for Gozer asking "Are you a God? Then die!", but their Stay Puff is bad and barely visble. We barely got Gozer, but have a much better Stay Puff scene. That's just one example. The difference is also largely digital vs. practical effects, which would color which version you like better: Orlando has a lot of digital, we have a lot of practical.

Us: Another push. I like how ours has better contrasts between light and dark... it's actually fairly unsettling for me to be in the brightness of that house and hallway. We also overall have better actors and fight scene. In Orlando, it's all fairly dark. But they got a scene where you see the family standing in the driveway in the distance... even though it's static, it's very cool.

Corpses: again, a push. They stay more true to the movie and they show the Firefly family more, but the scenes are totally out of order... to a point that I got irritated, as it was really hard to follow what was going on. Barely any movie ride, and it's at the very end. Confusing. I know ours is nearly 1/2 movie ride, but I personally like that. And it may skip a lot of the movie, but at least it's sequential. So no real winner either coast.

Stranger Things: no question there either, Orlando is better.

Of the original mazes, I personally totally loved Depths of Fear. That idea did nothing for me on paper, but in execution, it scared me more than nearly any other maze I've ever been in. Even on a second run thought later in the night. The sound design, the sets, the use of puppet scares from every direction just wowed me. But all the original mazes are pretty good, amazing in sets, actors/scares hit and miss.

This was my second visit there, and while I do love the sets and vibe, I once again found most of their scares predictable, and while there is some very good talent, not all of it is. I feel like 95% of Hollywood scareactors are all on point. They also have a lot more entertainment... the water show is fun, and the Academy of Villains was more entertaining than Jabawokeez... though they do "cheat" a bit by bringing in outside acts. Pizza Fries were good, but not as amazing as others seem to think.

Another observation: they seem to use actual child actors quite a bit in both Stranger Things and Us. I'm guessing that's something you can't easily get away with in California; I wonder how Orlando does it.

It was also a bit interesting to note that when we told many of the team members out there (we did the RIP tour) we were from LA and had done our HHN many times already, they sounded honestly a bit nervous and hoped their event would compare. It may have just been polite, but interesting nevertheless. I feel like the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, because I was hearing a lot of people dissect mazes over there to death as much as some here do. And while we were in line, there were some guys behind us playing the video of our opening Scaremony and being wowed.

On a quick side note, HOS was fun, but clearly a lower budget. Still, some inventive ideas, and they definitely have LOTS of bungee scares, and was really aggressive about them... but they worked, and would really get inches from your face out of nowhere. It was super cool. I may post a slightly more detailed review in that thread in a day or two.

How would you say their Monsters maze compared to the Monsters mazes we've had both this year and last year's?

I am interested in your order since you went on a crowded day and still were able to complete all the mazes,
Well, I still missed one maze. But as I said, could've completed them all. And it was busy, but it wasn't insane busy. I'd say moderately packed. The first night I went it was more busy. I'd say VERY busy, but again, not insane busy. Here's my list for both nights:

Night 1 (first Saturday - very busy):
Creepshow
Ghostbusters
Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman
Killer Klowns
Holidayz
Corpses
Pandora
Us
Missed: Stranger Things

This time, I decided to change things up drastically:
Stranger Things
Ghostbusters
Creepshow
Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman
Us
Holidayz
Corpses
Klowns
Missed: Pandora

Next time, I'm going to try to start with Us and Pandora and see where that takes me.

@DTH alluded to this in the review thread, but Steve Harrington has been added to Stranger Things. They've been mixing up the scares/placement of some of the existing characters, as well.
Ahhhhh egggggcelent. That's who it was. My friend mentioned it was him but I was like, "wha?" Didn't realize he had a bat, I guess. My other friend also mentioned Dustin but I may have missed that one, unless they're wrong.

Also, Magic Mountain had Bring a Friend free days last weekend. That is why I went to USH and decided to save Fright Fest for this weekend. I know to avoid Magic Mountain on weekends or holidays when they offer Bring a Friend free for all members.

Ahhhhh egggggcelent. That's who it was. My friend mentioned it was him but I was like, "wha?" Didn't realize he had a bat, I guess. My other friend also mentioned Dustin but I may have missed that one, unless they're wrong.

He does have the nail bat (it looks surprisingly nice for a late addition). The spot currently isn't well-lit, which is why you might have missed it. I don't have any knowledge of a Dustin, but I know the consensus is there needs to be more scares/characters, so they're still adjusting.

He does have the nail bat (it looks surprisingly nice for a late addition). The spot currently isn't well-lit, which is why you might have missed it. I don't have any knowledge of a Dustin, but I know the consensus is there needs to be more scares/characters, so they're still adjusting.
Where are these characters at in the maze?

Reactions: spectatuh
How busy do y’all think it will be this Sunday? Debating on whether I should get a FOL, granted my group likes to take their time.

I think Sundays have the option to upgrade after 11 PM. I went the 22, and it was average. Didn't wait more than an hour for anything.

How would you say their Monsters maze compared to the Monsters mazes we've had both this year and last year's?

I'd personally give it to us from last year. Orlando has all the monsters, and the sets are good and no black walls... but it somehow feels very "by the numbers". Nothing feels very grand. There were no "vignette" scenes like Frankenstein's lab, or the opening graveyard. And the scareactors were all fine, but it didn't have the same passion. It kinda felt like if Knott's had done it, if you know what I mean. It wouldn't be bad, but it felt a bit low budget for the material. Also, their ending was semi-akin to our sequential boo boxes, only done even worse (do keep in mind I did that maze early on, so there was some light bleed that may have affected that). They didn't have boxes or light effects, would just sort of abruptly step out from behind a black curtain.

That said, they did have one amazing section that was essentially a hall of mirrors for the Phantom. That was pretty cool. And the Quaismoto section had a similar feel, including a cool illusion similar to the "bridge" in Sewer of Souls at Fright Fest, where it felt like you were at the top, looking down on a very tall bell tower.

I will post a full review in the Orlando thread, but I will say, now that I'm back, what differences were in ours and theirs...

Ghostbusters: The one over here was good, but the one in Orlando was the superior one. Orlando did the library and firehouse scenes better, and they actually had the Gozer temple, transition to rooftop, and city scene. Hollywood did do a better job with the containment unit, Dana's apartment, and Stay Puft scenes; plus, Slimer in Hollywood looked better. I'm still on the fence about the hotel as Hollywood did a better job with the zapping slimer scene while Orlando's was just static with a good scare. Overall, Orlando did do this better, but just by a little bit. The scenes that really stuck out to me were the library scenes and the city scenes. Those were great. Gozer dogs looked just as good. Overall Orlando did a better job.

Killer Klowns: Hollywood's was better, but I am hesitant just because of the Klownzilla scene in Orlando. That scene alone was pretty amazing and totally justified that character in the house. Other than that, Hollywood did the house scene, the shadow puppet, circus tent, and funhouse scenes better. They did just about everything better in Hollywood other than Klownzilla.

Us: I liked Hollywood's slightly more. The scale of the sets were more accurate with the neighbor's house, but I just felt like Hollywood's was better for some unexplained reason. Maybe it's because the scares were more intense. Maybe it was because it felt pretty immersive despite the compact venue. Orlando's was fine, wasn't too overwhelmed with it, but I just liked Hollywood's better.

House of 1000 Corpses: I think Orlando's was better than this year's HoTC at USH, just slightly. I mean, it was super detailed, it had some good scares, the scenic was great where it should've been, but I feel like the compact venue didn't help the scale of the sets much. Where there were scenes that kind of demanded some space, it felt too small. There was also no Murder ride section, which was odd. I did like how they used some sequences and characters that weren't featured in the other two iterations in Hollywood. Though I will say the one from '10/'11 was the far superior version.

Universal Monsters:
UM at HHNH, is, IMO, one of THE best houses Hollywood has ever done. It's possibly my favorite house ever over in Hollywood. The UM in Orlando really out did Hollywood with scenic and intensity. Orlando even included the Hunchback and Creature and those scene was AWESOME! I will say Hollywood did a better job with the opening graveyard scene, Dracula, and actually had the invisible man. Monsters in Orlando was awesome. It was even better than FMTWM.

Just from the perspective of an outsider looking in, it seems like orlando's Universal Monsters maze cared less about it all being cohesive and essentially made a bunch of separate sections representing each monster, while Hollywoods felt like a cohesive story that flowed naturally, sorta like what a huge monster fan would make if they were told to make a crossover movie featuring all the monsters mashed together. It's a really little thing but I think the Hollywood audio is a bit better, the soundtrack by slash is hard to beat, and Murdy did a really good job voicing most of the monsters. I think by comparison the orlando voice clips just aren't as good sounding, though all of this is just my opinion

Reactions: Rideguy70 and Freak
I will post a full review in the Orlando thread, but I will say, now that I'm back, what differences were in ours and theirs...

Ghostbusters: The one over here was good, but the one in Orlando was the superior one. Orlando did the library and firehouse scenes better, and they actually had the Gozer temple, transition to rooftop, and city scene. Hollywood did do a better job with the containment unit, Dana's apartment, and Stay Puft scenes; plus, Slimer in Hollywood looked better. I'm still on the fence about the hotel as Hollywood did a better job with the zapping slimer scene while Orlando's was just static with a good scare. Overall, Orlando did do this better, but just by a little bit. The scenes that really stuck out to me were the library scenes and the city scenes. Those were great. Gozer dogs looked just as good. Overall Orlando did a better job.

Killer Klowns: Hollywood's was better, but I am hesitant just because of the Klownzilla scene in Orlando. That scene alone was pretty amazing and totally justified that character in the house. Other than that, Hollywood did the house scene, the shadow puppet, circus tent, and funhouse scenes better. They did just about everything better in Hollywood other than Klownzilla.

Us: I liked Hollywood's slightly more. The scale of the sets were more accurate with the neighbor's house, but I just felt like Hollywood's was better for some unexplained reason. Maybe it's because the scares were more intense. Maybe it was because it felt pretty immersive despite the compact venue. Orlando's was fine, wasn't too overwhelmed with it, but I just liked Hollywood's better.

House of 1000 Corpses: I think Orlando's was better than this year's HoTC at USH, just slightly. I mean, it was super detailed, it had some good scares, the scenic was great where it should've been, but I feel like the compact venue didn't help the scale of the sets much. Where there were scenes that kind of demanded some space, it felt too small. There was also no Murder ride section, which was odd. I did like how they used some sequences and characters that weren't featured in the other two iterations in Hollywood. Though I will say the one from '10/'11 was the far superior version.

Universal Monsters:
UM at HHNH, is, IMO, one of THE best houses Hollywood has ever done. It's possibly my favorite house ever over in Hollywood. The UM in Orlando really out did Hollywood with scenic and intensity. Orlando even included the Hunchback and Creature and those scene was AWESOME! I will say Hollywood did a better job with the opening graveyard scene, Dracula, and actually had the invisible man. Monsters in Orlando was awesome. It was even better than FMTWM.

Sounds like we had similar impressions. You gave it mostly to Orlando, and I mostly gave it to Hollywood (or tied them), but we both agreed that it was close. Which, truly, is a pretty big compliment for Hollywood, which typically suffers from step-child syndrome. This year, it really has some power if it's going toe to toe with Orlando.

Just from the perspective of an outsider looking in, it seems like orlando's Universal Monsters maze cared less about it all being cohesive and essentially made a bunch of separate sections representing each monster, while Hollywoods felt like a cohesive story that flowed naturally, sorta like what a huge monster fan would make if they were told to make a crossover movie featuring all the monsters mashed together. It's a really little thing but I think the Hollywood audio is a bit better, the soundtrack by slash is hard to beat, and Murdy did a really good job voicing most of the monsters. I think by comparison the orlando voice clips just aren't as good sounding, though all of this is just my opinion

Well said. I think you're right that the flow of the house from last year vs. the choppiness of Orlando is a big part of the reason.

Anybody have first-timer HHN tips for a scaredy-cat? Always been interested in HHN and always wanted to go but haunted houses are the kind of thing where even if I really wanna do them I freeze up and chicken out when I actually physically get there. Gonna be in SoCal in a week or two and making myself go to Horror Nights for the first time (alone). Really want to do some mazes but I'm worried about chickening out. I figure worst case scenario I can just hang around and enjoy the atmosphere of the scare zones but I really wanna go through a couple houses.

Anybody have first-timer HHN tips for a scaredy-cat? Always been interested in HHN and always wanted to go but haunted houses are the kind of thing where even if I really wanna do them I freeze up and chicken out when I actually physically get there. Gonna be in SoCal in a week or two and making myself go to Horror Nights for the first time (alone). Really want to do some mazes but I'm worried about chickening out. I figure worst case scenario I can just hang around and enjoy the atmosphere of the scare zones but I really wanna go through a couple houses.
So what I would recommend is to not go first or last during your maze walkthroughs. Try to stay towards the middle of the pack. Also I would say to do Ghostbusters or Stranger Things first (I haven't been yet nor seen any walkthroughs to not spoil it for me) as the main majority say those are the least scariest.

The best thing to remember is that these are just people in costumes. I used to be very very scared too! Now I love these events and the adrenaline of suspense is something I love. Also, remember they can't touch you and most of the time you know the scare is coming. Just be ready and immerse in the scenery and appreciate that you're thrown into this world that HHN crafts well. Good luck!